All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:38 pm

Post subject: Basing Camels
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:49 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I've got a bunch of Camels with riders (Far Harad) painted up and was trying to decide how to do the bases. Should I do a sand color, as if they were in the desert? Or should I do them as if they were attacking Gondor?
I was thinking that I could base some up with a desert motif for the battles that took place in Harad.
Anyone have a good basing tutorial for the desert? Obviously sand is essential, but what about vegetation or whatever else could be included to make the bases stand out.
All ideas gratefully accepted. Thanks.
 Post subject: Re: Basing Camels
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That really depends upon what you think looks the coolest. How is the rest of your army based? Maybe you could use the Agrellan Earth paint which will hopefully create a cracked earth affect as seen is dry places. If you want to add a bit more the gw dead grass or turfs could work. However if you want more of a sandy look then the generic gw sand with a combination of light browns and/or yellows would work for a good colour. You could even greenstuff small sand dune crests.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Post a couple photographs of your Mahud Raiders.
That could help us decide also what would look good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I second that^ Plus I love those units.

What Im planning on doing personally, is taking my harad, and using the Haradrim with a desolate sandy and small patches of grass type of idea.

Then, Im taking my mahud, and mumak eventually, and Im going to do a jungle theme with tall leafy grass and stuff. I think the bright green and red will compliment each other well. Plus, do the mahud not look like you can see them charging you in an ambush outside a jungle?

This is where I imagine my guys are going to come from:
http://www.shoppedornot.com/tag/desert/
http://www.kartwork.de/minecraft/desert ... screen.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

To answer your question LOTBR I actually cannot lol. Because of the camels I picture them as being from the deep desert while the Haradrim have a less severe one. That's just how I imagine it

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
To answer your question LOTBR I actually cannot lol. Because of the camels I picture them as being from the deep desert while the Haradrim have a less severe one. That's just how I imagine it

well let's put it this way I did a deployment to Afghanistan where there was a small amount of vegetation and mostly desert and they wore outfits like the hara rim in dry hot sun on the skin.

Meanwhile in more tropical places like jungles because of the humidity people tend to wear less clothes like the Mahud. In the desert middle eastern areas you need to wear thin layers of clothing but you DO need to wear clothing so the sun doesn't get you.

In the jungle the trees and such give you sun cover so you can be more exposed but want to wear less because you're pouring sweat.

There's no chance harad would be jungles if they dressed that way or the camel guys would live in the open desert with no clothes on their arms and legs. They are nomads who'd travel from oasis to oasis in the desert/jungle

That's where I'm coming from with this.