All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:34 pm

Post subject: Suitable moddeling for OOP Minis
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

As we are all aware much our beloved range is quickly vanishing from GWs webstore never to be seem again. While some have the dedication, and/ or expendable income to pay well over the odds on eBay, i'm sure for many of us this is not always possible.

I often see many people shunning the idea of using proxies, which agree with the vast majority of cases and can see why it irks some more dedicated players, especially whhen a model is readily available via GW.

But what happens when a model is OOP? how much effort needs to be put into a conversion for it to be an acceptable substiture?

For example. I want to build an Arnor list, featuring Arathorn, and possibly Halbarad. Halbarad has some awesome models and I'm happy to pay a little over the odds for one, however, arathorn is not only (IMO) not that great a mini, but is also pretty hard to come across on Ebay.

Would using an Aragorn miniature, with Theoden's head be reasonable?
If not, what would make it so? A bit of GS chainmail perhaps?

Would some Feral Uruk Hai converted from seige troops with exra hand weapons be okay? its not too fat from the corsair reaver conversions which are very popular.

I would like ot hear peoples oppinions, and also hear how you guys have converted OOP characters/ troops, or how you represent ones with no miniature.

Hope this hasn't been covered a million times before, and i've just realised ive waffled on a hell of a lot, sossy about that, i'll shut up now!
 Post subject: Re: Suitable moddeling for OOP Minis
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well actualy about 2 hours I came upon an idea to convert a mumak mahud/ beast master into an mahud king on foot. From the warhorn you convert a blow pipe. from some serpent riders you will get a spare spear or sword atach one on his left hand or put a shield there and put the sword or spear somewhere else. and voila you have got yourself a mahud king! :)

on behalf of the arathorn conversion I would personaly accept the conversion and adding a chainmail will definitley make it clear he is representing Arathorn. an proxy of an model wich is oop will be accepted as long as he looks different from the regular troops
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That Mahud king sounds great :) Thanks for the quick resaponse, I'll work on the Arathorn idea and post pictures when I've made him.

I don't really do tournament play but i like to be doing things right where possible.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

As long as you make it clear to your opponent what you're proxying the model for, it should be fine. I wouldn't be so sure for tournaments though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The biggest problem are mainly elite troops that going op, a hero you may find once and buy him on ebay, but to build a warband from OOP models (elite ones) is wayyyy to expensive now.
So if you like to convert models into these units make sure that they loot atleast 25% different from the original model and make a little more difference on painting also.
keep along your army theme (you can proxy a dunleding with a haradrim :/ , but with a good convertion you may use a rohirim for example)
if you keep these 80-90% of tournaments will accept it as long as the difference is clear and your converted units look alike (if its the same unit)

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks, if anyone has pics of such conversions i'd love to see them.

I will probably give converting ferals from Seige troops a go soon, if successfull i'll make a conversion guide.

I'm also eying up corsairs for Dunlendings. Turning spears into pitch forks would be a good start.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

To be honest I would collect and paint whats available first whilst its still available and why not just get corsairs and use them as corsairs? Grab the occasional ebay item later and consentrate on metals before they are gone forever.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

My collection is complete. I purchased the models as they became available. I do not have a dog in the fight. As GW gradually ends it support for the game collecting the figures will become harder. Proxi figures only matter in GW events. It won't be long before there are no GW events. So proxi figures will not matter at all. Buy what you like.

Hail Hydra :)