All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:42 pm

Post subject: Goblin Town Scenery
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey guys I just wanted to let anybody who is thinking of paying £40 for the Goblin Town Scenery pack that their is a better way. I have been buying the Full escape from Goblin town box set on Ebay for around £50, take out all the goblin town scenery, sell the rule book for at least £20 then sell Thorins Company for between £30-40, there is your money back Take bilbo and gandalf from the sprue, either sell them separate or the pair for £10, sell Radagast for £10 then the goblin king, throne, scribe and captain for £10- £20. This will leave you with all the Goblin Town scenery plus 36 goblins and a nice little profit, much better than paying the ridiculous £40 price tag. I have done this 4 times now and have 4 lots of goblin town scenery.
 Post subject: Re: Goblin Town Scenery
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

waaay behind the times ;)

Dr Grant has bought 10+ sets and sold off everything bar the scenery. Works out at something like £1.70 per sprue.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

you people amaze me,
well it's a win win if you have the time to organize it 8)

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was going to do this just to get more goblins but not for ANY profit. I was going to divide the cost up fairly and try to help my fellow Hobbit players get the models they want very cheap and I hate the scenery so I would give that away at a steal of a price.
I know that many people want the models and rulebook and that it is still sort of a bargain if you don't want to buy the whole set.... but at the same time, nobody should buy any of the components from you guys when they can just buy the whole box, take what they want and sell the parts. If everyone did that, then nobody would be able to sell the extra bits for a profit and the system would tank. it only works because there are a few of you doing it, If I was doing it the models would be super cheap, and the rulebook free with thorins company (incl Bilbo and gand) purchase for $10.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Surely this is the idea of Starter Boxes anyway? Buy them, keep what you want, sell what you don't to cover your costs. I've never heard of anyone who has bought them with the intention of keeping everything - at least not at first glance.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I bought two sets of the Fellowship of the Ring starter set, Two boxes of the Two Towers Starter, and a single box of the Return of the King Starter, and The Escape From Goblin Town set. I have no intention of selling ANY models from any of these sets. I gave away the extra rulebooks and some models for free though.

If I get an extra EFGT set, I will sell them super duper cheap (I will take actual cost of what I keep which is all the goblins) so like $0.50 a model, sound good? I think I will buy multiple sets and thus get as many cheap models on the market with free rulebooks so that maybe players will come to the game.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:35 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well i suppose you make a good point. Where everyone can complain about high games-workshop prices, they should maybe look in the mirror for what they ask for their own models on ebay (60 pounds or much more for a mahud king, Just becouse they can :o )*

I am def. a high bid seller, ill go find a mirror :)

*there is def. much more to say about this

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It is totally ok to make money if that is what you want to do. Everyone has to make their own choices. It is economics, and as I said, if everyone did the open the box and sell the parts thing, well nobody would get a good price and would have to sell low or sell no. I am not trying to guilt anyone, I know GW prices are high to many and they want to get savings somehow or they want just parts of these kits and why waste the opportunity.

There are things I would want to sell at a high price, if I painted it well, or if it meant more to me than the money. But I am me, I can't help being me, and I once bagged up about 50 of my vintage Star Wars figures and gave them to my cousin's son visiting from Germany simply because he liked the Wars and could not get those there. That was a few hundred bucks worth of stuff that I didn't even blink to hand over, it meant more that someone would care for them. Same with models, if I end up getting some extra sets, which I am feeling stronger about doing, I will try to get them out there to people to promote the game. Perhaps I will give a named dwarf to each person that comes to a game demo of Hobbit SBG, something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Your argument works in principle Sithious but not in practice. This is a capitalist economy everyone needs to make money, Gamesworkshop have no qualms in charging ridiculous prices to there loyal fan base so I have no qualms in charging reasonable prices to strangers. I don't need everything in the boxset I only need the scenery so it makes sense to sell what I dont need, it also makes sense to recoup as much money back as I can, so that I can buy even more GW products. Selling things 'super duper cheap' doesnt put bread on the table or models under the brush. I would sell to my friends cheap or trade but would never sell to a random stranger cheap.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Personally, I sell products at whatever price I think is suitable, with almost no interest in making a profit. I don't sell often, but when I do, I always find an existing GW comparison to what I'm selling and do the math.

In terms of starter boxes, it's always cheaper to buy those and sell off what you don't want to keep. Take Dark Vengeance for example, it costs £61.50, but everything individually would equal the grand total of £214, and that's only the miniatures (I've swapped DV exclusive miniatures for equal alternatives). Also, I have actually genuinely worked this out. And, no, there are not any multi-part/customisable miniatures in DV, but the end result isn't far off what the core multi-part boxes offer. So in theory, you could buy DV purely for Dark Angels miniatures and sell everything else, thus only spending roughly £20 rather than £112 or so. Again, this is not an estimate.

Decent starter sets are always excellent value for money, about the only thing with GW's logo on it that falls into that category.