All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 5:54 pm

Post subject: Black Paints
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I use black paint as the undercoat. The problem is I want black armor too. On the Moria Goblins I followed the guide, which gave them a much more metallic look then I would like. I tried on a few just repainting the black on, but it looked underdone compared to all the other features. Now I have Black Guards and Uruk Scouts ahead of me. What should I do?

-Clone Cadets Echo and Droidbait
 Post subject: Re: Black Paints
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mix black with either dawnstone and highlight up in layers until you use straight dawnstone, or do the same thing with boltgun metal.

Check out this mini by reaper for an example of the black and grey method

http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/60118
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

jdizzy001 wrote:
Mix black with either dawnstone and highlight up in layers until you use straight dawnstone, or do the same thing with boltgun metal.

That looks really good. Do you mix them together on like a plate, or just on the mini? And slowly add more Dawnstone to the mix to make it lighter?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, I always use a pallet. Once the mini is primed put the first layer of color down, your base coat. I usually start with a 1:1 ratio of black:dawnstone. Once this dries add another dab of dawnstone (add a drop of water) then apply another layer to the mini leaving some of your base coat exposed in the recesses. Add another dab of Dawnstone to your mix and another drop of water. Apply your 1:3 mix leaving a little bit of each successive layer showing. The last layer you apply should be either straight up dawnstone, or dawnstone with a tiny-tiny bit of black. Remember that each successive layer added should leave some of the previous layer exposed, so you will be covering less and less of the mini each time.

The drop of water added with each drop of color helps with blending as it will make each layer less opaque. If you find that once you are finished and you don't like the look you can try again, or add an layer of blackwash over the entire armored area. This blends the colors a bit more while tinting them a bit darker.

In fact that is a "short cut" method you might try. Paint on your black/dawnstone base coat, add your dawnstone highlights (don't worry about blending) then edge the plates of armor with administrator grey and finally once everything is dry add a layer of blackwash to smooth everything out. I used to paint flesh that way. Basecoat, highlight, layer of wash to blend. It works alright.

Painting black armor isn't easy, but with time it will become easier.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Look up the GBHL youtube channel, they have a video on wet palette to get you started.

I picked up a painters palette the other day for $1 at a cheap shop, not sure how it goes compared to the wet palette, but its better than going straight from pot to mini.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've never used wet palette but i have heard it makes blending super easy. It also prevents your paints from drying out for days. Especially if you have a lid for the palette. I just use one of the cheap $1 plastic palettes from wally world.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

N00bie_Boy wrote:
jdizzy001 wrote:

That looks really good. Do you mix them together on like a plate, or just on the mini? And slowly add more Dawnstone to the mix to make it lighter?

A palette is an absolute must. Wet palette is a little more tricky, but worth the effort. You save loads on paint.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I use a Ceramic Floor tile for my painting base/ palette. You can usually buy single tiles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

jdizzy001 wrote:
Yes, I always use a pallet. Once the mini is primed put the first layer of color down, your base coat. I usually start with a 1:1 ratio of black:dawnstone. Once this dries add another dab of dawnstone (add a drop of water) then apply another layer to the mini leaving some of your base coat exposed in the recesses. Add another dab of Dawnstone to your mix and another drop of water. Apply your 1:3 mix leaving a little bit of each successive layer showing. The last layer you apply should be either straight up dawnstone, or dawnstone with a tiny-tiny bit of black. Remember that each successive layer added should leave some of the previous layer exposed, so you will be covering less and less of the mini each time.

The drop of water added with each drop of color helps with blending as it will make each layer less opaque. If you find that once you are finished and you don't like the look you can try again, or add an layer of blackwash over the entire armored area. This blends the colors a bit more while tinting them a bit darker.

In fact that is a "short cut" method you might try. Paint on your black/dawnstone base coat, add your dawnstone highlights (don't worry about blending) then edge the plates of armor with administrator grey and finally once everything is dry add a layer of blackwash to smooth everything out. I used to paint flesh that way. Basecoat, highlight, layer of wash to blend. It works alright.

Painting black armor isn't easy, but with time it will become easier.

jdizzy001 - That is an extremely helpful step-by-step guide, especially for an inexperienced painter like me - thanks very much for posting it !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You're welcome. I had to piece together this info one tutorial at a time. I try to pass on what i've learned as comprehensively as i can.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok thanks. I think I get what your saying. So a 1:1 ratio, paint it on, add dawnstone and water to the mix, paint it on, add more dawnstone and water, etc. until it's done.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Affirmative ghost rider