All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:50 am

Post subject: Finish on figures(to protect paint)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have a few questions.

1-What is the best method to do this?

2-Why do this? Just to keep paint from chipping, or do you do it for specifically only display models?

3-Any other advice.

Post subject: Re: Finish on figures(to protect paint)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This question is one of the hardest to answer in the entire hobby.

1. Best method - anybodys guess lol. Different people have different experiences with all products. I tend to stick t brush on varnishes due to numerous bad incidents with spray varnish (GW purity seal & white dusting and yes before you all start i was not in the arctic or near the equator lol) Brush on Vallejo Matt varnish seems to work ok without altering the overall appearance of the model.

2. The idea is to protect the models paint job from the rigours of handling and gaming.

3. Here we have the age old argument - apparently Matt varnish does nothing for the protection of your paint job and only gloss varnishes will fully protect. Gloss varnished mini's i don't personally like. whts the point in going to extreme lengths to highlight a model only for them all to be lost once you apply the varnish? Matt varnish can be applied after the gloss to dull the shine. This i have tried but not to a satisfactory result that i will do again. I don't game or handle my models much so not so much an issue.

See clear as mud lol

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I agree with the above, except for the third point. In my experience varnish doesn't remove details, BUT I have noticed that some varnish actually chips paint off models if the paint has not dried long enough, especially when dealing with washes. Not sure if that is with all washes, or just the one I use (army painter).

I also prefer brush-on varnish over spray for the same reason as above. But I disagree and must say that matt varnish does protect minis, although not as well as gloss.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello,

I have had and continue to have an excellent experience with "Testors Spray Lacquer" or called "Testors Dull Coat Spray". You can find it on amazon and local gaming stores. Its a few dollars, never clumps, and it really protects the model, you can feel the protective layer. I've sprayed 5 armies with it and am glad I did!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I use krylon's clear acrylic satin finish. It works for me. It does exactly as it should, protects from cheetoh fingers.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I can truly recommend Testors Dullcote Lacquer (no. 1160) which gives really flat/matt protective layer to painted figures.

The only , small disadvantage it is not an acrylic lacquer, so instead of water and soap you need a special thinner/cleaner or acetone to clean brushes after usage.

For bigger models I use Vallejo Matt Varnish in spray which works fine , but only when applied in very thin layers and in moderate temperature and humidity room (never outside the house in hot days or in cold winter as you may destroy results of painting just in few seconds...).

And I confirm what Dead Marsh Spectre wrote above in point 3. If you really aim for solid protection of paint before stripping , you should cover painted model with glossy lacquer first after a day, then let it dry for at least another 24 hours and then repeat the process , but this time with matt varnish.

My WIPs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:22 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I use Winsor and Newtons Galleria Acrylic Matt Varnish and their Satin Varnish for armour. Quite happy with it. You might find it difficult to pick up some brands or sprays depending where you are in the world, Winsor and Newton was recommended to me and it's easily available in my local hobby shop. Only advice is to use thin coats, too thick and it will start to gloss. I use the GW brush on ardcoat for gems and the like.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have used allready some different sprays and brush-ons.
And Testor's dullcote really jumps out. I'm never using something else again!
But I was told it is no real sealant and doesn't protect your mini's as good as real varnish. So now I use vallejo's matte brush on varnish on problem areas, let it dry, and spray over the whole miniature with testor's.
I really love that spray! It makes my miniatures look better.