All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:44 am

Scheme
Red Armor with Gold and Black Trim/Shields 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Black Armor with Gold and Red Trim/Shields 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Different(suggest) 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: Frankly I hate Warriors of Minas Tirith.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

To me, they are probably one of the top three boring troops in the game. All look the same with not many cool poses.....stat line as basic as can be......no special rules to them at all. I thought....at least we can color them differently.

So anyone ever seen these painted in special schemes?

My idea was to make them sort of using Roman color schemes.

Something with red black and gold. Their main armor would be black or dark red.

I want to see them look brutal, or cool, or eye catching at the very least. Originally, I wanted to do them all pink to signify what I thought of them. As feminine.

I think this way though they will at least look cool dieing.

Anyone thoughts? Whats your opinion?

Post subject: Re: Frankly I hate Warriors of Minas Tirith.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like this cool scheme (from one of our own).

http://dramatickatastases.blogspot.de/2 ... chers.html
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

While I personally love the pragmatic, simple and (I think) pretty striking steel and black scheme, I have seen some good alternatives over the years.

Red cloth, siver armour with gold accents on higher ranks
Bronze armour, black or red cloth
Silver armour, blue cloth (works well to tie them in with Dol Amroth)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Its alright, but I think theres still too much Silver and I hate white on models. Nice to see something different though.

@Para-Which has been your favorite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:19 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Chrome Steal and Black cloth is about as manly as one can get. I wouldn't want to insult the opposite sex and say that they are Fem or at least imply that there is something wrong with them being Fem, considering how PJ has made sure that women fighters are given special spots in his films.

But.. you obviously don't like the clones of minas tirith warriors and how the whole army is unified which is very militant which one can find boring if they are not into that stuff.

Historically I can find no method to color an armor without applying cloth, leather or paint, and if that is the case you can head over to 40K and look at all the space marine chapters and pick any color combo's you want. Red would be ok, they would still all look unified and you will still hate them, but maybe you will like the color. Converting MT warriors to have a pose that looks realistic that is not already on the sprue is kind of tough.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not to be a contrarian here, but I love how the army of Minas Tirith looks bright silver and black in massed ranks.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Maybe rainbow schemes all over. Actally looks better than peoples thought. Works on harad and elves at the very least

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sithious wrote:
Chrome Steal and Black cloth is about as manly as one can get. I wouldn't want to insult the opposite sex and say that they are Fem or at least imply that there is something wrong with them being Fem, considering how PJ has made sure that women fighters are given special spots in his films.

But.. you obviously don't like the clones of minas tirith warriors and how the whole army is unified which is very militant which one can find boring if they are not into that stuff.

Historically I can find no method to color an armor without applying cloth, leather or paint, and if that is the case you can head over to 40K and look at all the space marine chapters and pick any color combo's you want. Red would be ok, they would still all look unified and you will still hate them, but maybe you will like the color. Converting MT warriors to have a pose that looks realistic that is not already on the sprue is kind of tough.

UGGGGG omg man....why do people act like this when it comes to political correctness these days?
Where did I say anything remotely insulting the opposite sex? I said I wanted to make WOMT look feminine and pink is the color from birth to represent femininity. When you jump to assumptions like that you make me look like a chauvinistic [word deleted]. People take this stuff and run with it an online forums so Id appreciate not getting flak for something I didnt say. Thanks. :sad:

Anyway back to the topic at hand.....I understand your take on Chrome and Black being very militant....personally I think uniformity with another color is just as good looking on the field especially if its a shining black or red armor. Thats all Im going for is a unique, rough look.
That in fact is what Id like to go for. At least theyd look cool dieing haha.

As for converting...yeah I did some and its pretty tough the way they designed a lot of them. Ill still try.....and if I mess them up....theyre just warriors of Minas Tirith.

thekingofkings wrote:
Not to be a contrarian here, but I love how the army of Minas Tirith looks bright silver and black in massed ranks.

I think its just the fact they were pretty much my first troops and I was immediately upset when playtesting, the orcs would stomp them most times no matter what I did.

truck22 wrote:
Maybe rainbow schemes all over. Actally looks better than peoples thought. Works on harad and elves at the very least

Could you elaborate more on this? Did you mean that all the troops are different colors, or that each one has a lot of optional colors on that specific model?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I hope it helps but i tink i can see throught your eyes and why you want to this as i see this on most units :)

first i will give an exaple: i had the same problem with warriors fo rohan so i took each warrior of rohan and added chainmail and replaced the 'pinky-brown- dress they have with dark grey, 2 very simple steps and it changed the whole miniature to something new and more brutal. Conclusion is that it doesnt need much to make them look cool and sometimes the base can do all the work, snow, desert ect ect)

Now my suggestion for WoMT:
1-If you are even a little familiar with green stuff you could add furs (witch are hell easy to make even for a beginer) and put them on snow. Paint the furs with dark brown and the clothing with very dark grey-to black and the armor heavily weathered to look darker (not shiny!)
2-Add them to desert like bases, try making small cuts with a sharp knife around their armor (like osgiliath vets) but small ones like they have been to battle and paint the clothing black (or earthly like light brown, colour is steel legion i dont remember next :) ) and the armor heavy weathered or dark bronze (if you like the gold armor)
These are 2 options in my eyes for brutal without leaving the main of theme of gondor.
3-To make them more like elite knights try light grey clothing, dark silver armor (but dark!!) and golden trims/ends everywhere possible.

I hope i wasnt too confusing and chaotic :) happy to explain better if so.

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:54 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I saw your Rohan. They do look really nice!

1-Ive never used it but have wanted to for a while and will soon. I guess I can do some stuff. That sounds nice. Im going to be working on snow troops for a different game soon too. Maybe I can put that practice to use. Im doing a Soviet Partisan army for Bolt Action in the snow/winter.

2-No I totally understand. Thank you for the ideas and input. I think maybe Ill try a few different themes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Heres some cool stuff guys for an idea of something:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img89/9895/r19la.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img694/8536/r17pk.jpg

Dont like the white, but replace that with another color on these:
http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/20 ... Tirith.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What I meant was, for example. Painting the cloth in red, blue and green, having some nyanses in between

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I wasn't trying to insight a internet wave of anger at an insult to feminists. lol, although our hobby could use a viral shove but not in a negative way. But "I" would not want to imply that there is something wrong with someone being Feminine or look at it as a negative so instead of using your words saying as such I acknowledged that you obviously don't like them.

I do think using red armor in the style seen worn by Luke Evans (Bard) in his film Dracula Untold. The red worked in that (and red armor in Bram Strokers Dracula worn by Gary Oldman also).

Make them look like this and end the reign of Minas Tirith altogether;
These are not mine, found them online.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The WoMT as portrayed in the film were a bit on the weak side from me copared t how they appeared in the books. The minis I can like with, even if they are monotonous to paint.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah I totally get that^

Its a shame.

Sithious wrote:
I wasn't trying to insight a internet wave of anger at an insult to feminists. lol, although our hobby could use a viral shove but not in a negative way. But "I" would not want to imply that there is something wrong with someone being Feminine or look at it as a negative so instead of using your words saying as such I acknowledged that you obviously don't like them.

I do think using red armor in the style seen worn by Luke Evans (Bard) in his film Dracula Untold. The red worked in that (and red armor in Bram Strokers Dracula worn by Gary Oldman also).

Make them look like this and end the reign of Minas Tirith altogether;
These are not mine, found them online.

Well I dont think any of us can deny a warrior of Gondor whos fought orcs for years would be embarrassed if you put him in pink armor. In the movies as well there is clearly a male bias I think.

Anywho.....I havent seen that dracula armor but looking it up, I think it looks cool. I could see doing something like that.

Also, thank you! You by mistake made me remember I wanted to do that with Minis Tirith warriors and make more morannons so long ago! Lol thank you so much. I now have another use for WOMT. I have like 50+ maybe 75 from a large auction.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
I want to see them look brutal, or cool, or eye catching at the very least.

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I agree with your point about Warriors Of Minas Tirith being a bit dull, if you want them to look brutal and don't mind putting in some work to them, why not copy the "Warden of Umbar" look Adam Troke put together for the Harad article back in WD300?

If not, hopefully the colour scheme is of some help.

Cheers,
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thats better too. Ill have to look up that article. Thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you're into the romans, try kit-bashing with some Gripping Beast. I've seen a few models with arm swaps and it makes a huge difference. New heads, arms and legs or torsos might be just what the Dr. ordered.

I think making your own roman-esque Osgiliath vets would be pretty cool. I used a skaven cape on mine and a flagellant head and variant weapon and I like it for a bit box conv.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

How about making the cloth/capes of each 'unit' be a different colour. My idea a while back was to have each level of Minas Tirith be represented by colours of the rainbow, so...

Those who were stationed outside of the city have Red cloth
Those that guard the Great Gate = Orange
Those that guard the 2nd Gate - Yellow
Those that guard the 3rd Gate - Green
Those that guard the 4th Gate - Blue
Those that guard the 5th Gate - Indigo
Those that guard the 6th Gate - Violet
Those that guard the 7th gate and the Citadel (elites) - Black (from here... http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Guard_of_the_Citadel )...

"In the book they are described as wearing a uniform of black robes and black surcoats, embroidered in white with a tree in blossom under a silver crown and many-pointed stars. Their helms were high-crowned and pointed, with long cheek-guards fitting to the face, and above these were set the white wings of sea-birds to honor their seafaring Númenórean heritage; the helms were Mithril and heirlooms from ancient times."

I will be painting my Minas Tirith forces later this year, so I may look to my own colour scheme rather than the PJ 'canon' colour scheme.