All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 3:55 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rare mini's, lets find them all
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

IsleStaggerholm wrote:
The level to which he is painted. That is the standard fellowship Boromir, but according to the auction that figure won the Silver Medal of the Golden Demon competition in Australia during Gamesday. So you would being paying for somebody else's talent--not a rare mini.

So much money??????????????????????????????'' it is 195 £ :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:00 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you consider it Art, then that is not all that ridiculous a price. That being said, this hobby for me is about the painting. I don't even like to have miniatures primed by others.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:02 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

@DMS, do you still have any. I would trade you some of the outstretched arm ones for this if you like.

IsleStaggerholm wrote:
I posted this in another thread not thinking about this one, but since this is a more active thread, thought I would see what you guys know here: There is rumor of a "rare" 4th pose Mahud Warrior. Some say its the one with an outstabbing spear, but since I have like 4 of those I am suspisious. The picture below is one that I think is the actual rare 4th pose. Anyone have one of these for trade OR can confirm or deny that it has or has not been released?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:04 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Check his trade thread . . . he's looking for it too ;-)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Is this oficial Gw mini? because it is one of the rare ones...olog :roll:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/LOTR-Mithril-Min ... 3f126c46b8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No that is from a company that has the book, not the film, rights to the Tolkien Ent. property rights. Mithral Miniatures has a very extensive line that has been in production for decades.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lets have the full list and pictures on the first post! If someone is bothered to do that. Just so we dont get mixed up what is and isn't rare. I've seen all these minies except for hte one with the footsteps. I believe the Olog-Hai and Barrowights are not from this range but one from the 80s or 90s. This is also a rare one.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en ... x=79&ty=48
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:11 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Olog Hai and Barrow Wight are Citadel pre-weta miniatures.

I agree the original post could do with a list of just the truly rare minis as this thread is full of minis that aren't rare. Chris, if you want to sort it out you can, if not just let me know and I'll sort it out for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:14 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Red Corsairs wrote:
The Olog Hai and Barrow Wight are Citadel pre-weta miniatures.

I agree the original post could do with a list of just the truly rare minis as this thread is full of minis that aren't rare. Chris, if you want to sort it out you can, if not just let me know and I'll sort it out for you.

I will try, because i will add your list too, i will do what i can, but can i ask for ur help if i need?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:25 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Sure thing. I would refrain from adding all of my list because not all of them are rare as I included all of the OOP minis as well, which the majority of are not rare. If you do want to include them as well the thread title will probably need changing to Rare and OOP minis.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:27 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Red Corsairs wrote:
Sure thing. I would refrain from adding all of my list because not all of them are rare as I included all of the OOP minis as well, which the majority of are not rare. If you do want to include them as well the thread title will probably need changing to Rare and OOP minis.

Indeed i change it, i start working on that in 10 minuts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

IsleStaggerholm wrote:
I think its important to not over use the word rare. There are three levels as I see it. Still in production, which means you can still get it from GW. OOP which means you can't order it from GW, but there were still tens-of-thousands of these produced--i.e. not rare. And then there are the rare ones--This is a handful of models for one reason or another either appeared in super limited run OR was never truly released.

I still look upon discontinued models as 'rare' purely because if you don't have one you can't simply go to the shops and buy one (even though technically they aren't rare like the Peter Jackson hobbit for instance, which is a true rare).

I see the sense in what you are saying though.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

CaptainOfTheWhiteTower wrote:
IsleStaggerholm wrote:
I think its important to not over use the word rare. There are three levels as I see it. Still in production, which means you can still get it from GW. OOP which means you can't order it from GW, but there were still tens-of-thousands of these produced--i.e. not rare. And then there are the rare ones--This is a handful of models for one reason or another either appeared in super limited run OR was never truly released.

I still look upon discontinued models as 'rare' purely because if you don't have one you can't simply go to the shops and buy one (even though technically they aren't rare like the Peter Jackson hobbit for instance, which is a true rare).

I see the sense in what you are saying though.

Any mini u think that is rare or discontinued post here , (with photo would be perfect) even if its not so rare, it can be rare for someone, there is a lot of mini's that i didnt see :roll:

Post subject: Re: Rare and Limited Edition mini's, lets find them all!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you have been collecting for as long as many of us have, and you watch the usual suspect locations frequently, then you will come to appreciate what I have said. Calling something "rare" leads to the need of a collector to over pay, thus all the auctions you see claiming rare minis; however, within two months time of watching places such as ebay, you will see any number of every mini whether it be OOP or readily available in store. Even the smaller run minis, such as the Lobelia Sackville Baggins, appear monthly if not weekly on Ebay, in fact maybe more so than the OOP old metal orcs, simply because of the market for her. I like this thread as a nice place to discuss the goings on of the market, but posting every auction that claims a mini as rare, to me, seems a bit overwrought. I still have a list hovering just under 100 minis that I need for my collection to be "near" complete. Some of those are OOP, many I am just getting over the next months due to budgetary necessity. But the ones for which I scour daily are the rare ones. The ones many of us have been looking frequently, which Red Corsairs earlier post covers completely and thoroughly--with perhaps the addiction of this 4th pose Mahud. But even this Mahud, if rumors are to believed is not a star beyond my greatest hopes, such as the two-handed axe Uruk-Hai or the slightly more common 4th pose Red-Eye. I'm just seeking some temperance, but at the same time don't mind sharing what we know about the collecting side of the hobby.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:59 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The 'two-handed axe Uruk-hai is The Uruk-hai Scout Captain. And like the Mahud and Mordor Uruk, are incredibly elusive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Agreed that is why it is a star beyond my greatest hope. Even if one did come to auction, though I would try, I doubt I would have a pocket large enough to support its fee.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Unfortunately, you are almost certainly right about price. You'd be lucky to get it for less than £50 (UK money)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

IsleStaggerholm wrote:
Agreed that is why it is a star beyond my greatest hope. Even if one did come to auction, though I would try, I doubt I would have a pocket large enough to support its fee.

if one does become available on ebay dont anybody bother bidding on it, i've already sold my soul for the eventuality lol

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
IsleStaggerholm wrote:

if one does become available on ebay dont anybody bother bidding on it, i've already sold my soul for the eventuality lol

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A lot of people will class a 'rare' mini on ebay, such an example is that Rivendell Gandalf, because it may be the only on on Ebay at that time, only because it's a relatively new miniature, and there is not the demand for it. The only people who would buy that gandalf model are collectors or someone who really would like to paint on up! hence it being called rare!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 35  Next