All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finecast defects
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:22 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Shieldmaiden wrote:
GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Shieldmaiden wrote:
I just sent them an e-mail saying that friend's experiences with finecast have put me off spending money at GW.

Y'all should do the same.

Still hasn't put me off GW, as I've had better luck with mine, and it never reaches 300 degrees in the UK, so no problem of melting. And it hasn;t been 40 years yet so that diesn't bother me yet either.

I'd rather still have it in 40 years, though.

One might wish to sell ones collection at some point, and then they are someine else's problem :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Still hasn't put me off GW, as I've had better luck with mine, and it never reaches 300 degrees in the UK, so no problem of melting. And it hasn;t been 40 years yet so that diesn't bother me yet either.

Where did you get the number of 300 degrees?! Finecast softens enough to bend and rework under tap water, which is well under 100 centigrade... Pouring boiling water over one (or dropping him into a fresh cup of tea) would reduce it to an ill-defined lump, I bet.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Haha, tea. I think he meant 30 degrees but put an extra 0 in on accident. It sounds really funny to hear people say that stuff is melting at 23 degrees (I think someone said that) because 23 degrees F is well below freezing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:03 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

23 degrees celcius isnt, thats pretty hot for the UK. hot enough to soften the resin anyway, I have to leave the fan blowing in my room when it is that hot to keep it cool.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:11 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

23 degrees is incredibly hot in the UK. And we nearly always mean degrees celcius not farenheight.

The 300 is an exaggeration, as i don;t really now how many of your farenheights there are to our celcuises, and I was trying to use your terms in that instance.

Its never been hot enough UP North to melt resin, unless I put resin right in the window on an incredibly rare hot day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah, I know what you mean. Here in Southern Ontario this year it got up to 40 Centigrade with the humidex on several days. We usually try to leave the a/c off if it isn't too hot, but this year we used about twice as many hours of energy as last summer. This is Canada. You know, the land of igloos and eskimos? :lol:

I only have about a dozen finecast minis, but I have noticed my Dwarf banner isn't standing as high as it did when it was new. I hate to think what it would be like if the a/c had broken!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

300 degrees F is hot enough to melt some metals, let alone resin. 212F matches 100C, 32F = 0C. It rarely gets over 100 degrees in most places in America, but It can get get about 110 in Texas and other south western states on a regular basis.

Would relative humidity affect FC? High humidity makes it feel hotter because our cooling system (sweating) stops working effectively, but I'm not sure it would affect FC that much.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's been pretty hot here too this summer, luckily none of my FC models (2) have a weird position now. If we want to carry models to other places nowadays we should carry them in a coolbox or something if even GW's cases make them bend over.. :? I hope they get back to metal soon, or at least some other product, which does have quality!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The geniuses at GW are fast at work on creating a miniature case with a "Cool Pack" insert to keep your models nice and cool during transport. You can replace all your cases now for the low low price of $99.99.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I bought a finecast Amdur, only to find one of its Easterling horns missing on the mounted model. My mounted warpriest's horse still won't fit together.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:17 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dionysian wrote:
I bought a finecast Amdur, only to find one of its Easterling horns missing on the mounted model.

I had that problem to, its simple enough to take back though, as a piece is missing not floppy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

ITEMS BOUGHT : Warg Marauder and Easterlings commanders box

DEFECTS on first attempt - Warg marauder - Goblins arrows snapped and loose in the box, miscast Goblin face.
Easterlings - Helmet spikes miscast on 2 models

luckily checked whilst in store and exchanged - checked the second lot of the same box

DEFECTS on second attempt - Warg Marauder - Wargs foot miscast
Easterlings - thought I had a good box but nope .... Dragon knight has no fingers

Got my money back on marauder as no more in stock to exchange .... not a good start to my fartcast experience. Seriously worried now about an order I made from an online Indie - ordered Great Beast , Watcher , Dweller , Ashrak and Groblog . don't fancy my chances.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A local store has a Great Beast already marked down. It's at $40 from the original $85.99 price tag. Thinking I might get it today, despite all the issues.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wait what they reduced the price by over 50%???
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:39 am 
I was in my GW here in Paris, and I asked the vendor about the great beast of gorgorth....first of all he didn't noticed that it disappeared from the site and secondly he didn't knew why. But the model was still at it's original price of 56€ :sad: At 40 I would have bought it :-D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
Wait what they reduced the price by over 50%???

:oops: Apparently I'd misremembered; it wasn't as cheap as that. I don't think it was because of the model itself, as they also had a few sets of Uruk Crossbows and an Easterling Warpriest for less than MSRP.

Price aside, I wasn't happy with the mini. It had TONS of bubbles, some holes and was missing 4 Orcs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:35 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:

DEFECTS on first attempt - Warg marauder - Goblins arrows snapped and loose in the box, miscast Goblin face.

luckily checked whilst in store and exchanged - checked the second lot of the same box

Easterlings - thought I had a good box but nope .... Dragon knight has no fingers

Got my money back on marauder as no more in stock to exchange .... not a good start to my fartcast experience. Seriously worried now about an order I made from an online Indie - ordered Great Beast , Watcher , Dweller , Ashrak and Groblog . don't fancy my chances.

Got my replacement easterlings box through the post today - opened it up - 3 perfect sculpts and another fingerless Dragon Knight. Yet again kept the 3 good sculpts and returned the dragon knight for replacement to be sent. I'm going to end up with an army of Easterlings made up of captain, war priest and banners at this rate :roll: just want a dragon knight with fingers... too much to ask?

On a brighter note - Ashrak and Groblog turned up both sculpts flawless, Dweller also turned up with a bit of work needing doing but nothing major. Few bubbles , few broken ends on elbow spikes, huge bubble in end of horn on the head i'm planning to use .. bit of green stuff should be ok.

Still waiting for the watcher and great beast to turn up :o

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:51 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Got my replacement easterlings box through the post today - opened it up - 3 perfect sculpts and another fingerless Dragon Knight. Yet again kept the 3 good sculpts and returned the dragon knight for replacement to be sent. I'm going to end up with an army of Easterlings made up of captain, war priest and banners at this rate :roll: just want a dragon knight with fingers... too much to ask?

On a brighter note - Ashrak and Groblog turned up both sculpts flawless, Dweller also turned up with a bit of work needing doing but nothing major. Few bubbles , few broken ends on elbow spikes, huge bubble in end of horn on the head i'm planning to use .. bit of green stuff should be ok.

Still waiting for the watcher and great beast to turn up :o

At least you're getting a bunch of free figures. It almost makes up for the cost.....It also almost makes me want to get some bad sculpts if I ever get finecast figures, I'm fine with free figures 8)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:27 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So two months ago I ordered Corsair Captain and Bosun from a sight still offering the metal. A couple weeks ago they contacted me telling me that the Finecast versions would be coming. I already had 3 versions (one for each of the poses and weapons and one for conversion), so I was leary and almost canceled the order. However, I had other items on the order I wanted so I just hoped for the best. They arrived today and I cleaned and inspected them and I must honestly say that these are the two most perfect casts I've seen in Finecast. Holy cow it is possible. Now I won't fall for the fallacy of small samples and say that they have lived through the growing pains, but aside from one tiny shoulder bubble easily fixable. I am pleased . . .
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:27 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey!
So i got my first finecast model today and i need a little help. I noticed a couple of problems with it . I bought the dweller in the dark and there was a few air bubbles on the one of the horns and a couple of the claws in one of the hands were not there at all. The tail was a little bent and it had two small bubbles (easy fix). Just my luck that the head and arm that i was not going to use had no problems whatsoever but the ones i was planning to use had problems. :(
Now i don't know if i should take it back to the store or if i should try to fix it. Also i was planning to make a WIP about it. Not really sure what to do here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next