All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:42 pm

Post subject: Green Stuff Cloaks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've been entertaining an idea for a while to mould some cloaks on to some of my models out of green stuff. The models I had in mind were Gondor Captains, to make them stand out, and the Helm's Deep (not the Defenders of Helm's Deep) version of Aragorn.

Any advice on how to do this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was considering creating a tutorial article on this, but the best way is to squish it flat and try to make it SLIGHTLY wider at the bottom. Wet a tool and use it to push the middle of the thinner end in at the top and attach the two sides to the shoulders, which can be joined in front of the neck or you can used extra GS for that. Add a couple of ripples and bend the cloak how you want it to be.

I'll try and get one done soon, but I'll need to buy some models first and I'm out of funds: Unless anyone wants to donate a box of Dwarf Warriors? lol :P
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, I've done this one several times, so here goes:
If you have not already done so, grab a few of the sculpting tutorials over in our Conversion Workshop and bone up on the basics of sculpting.

The number one rule is patience. This will take a while.
1. To begin with, you need to get your blob of Green Stuff (not too much of it) and carefully pull it into the general shape of the cloak you want. If you want a hood (for others who may look at the thread) don't put it on now, it's the last step.
2. Carefully, carefully put your GS onto your model, making sure that the wider end is down. Now try to pull it into the general shape you want the final result to fall. Don't worry if it doesn't go perfectly, you'll build up on it later.
3. Here's where the patience comes in. As our dear Ebob would say, leave it alone. Put it down and walk away for a while, at least for six hours - though I recommend longer until you're experienced with shaping GS. Work on painting other models, read a book, play ball with your friends. Whatever.
4. Once you're sure the GS is cured, mix up a little more. You want to apply this along the edges of what you've already got in small amounts (no more than half the width of your pinky) until you've got the thing as wide as you want it. Be sure to let the stuff cure between each of these stages.
5. Once you've got the basic shape, use a blob 1x to 2x the size of your model's head to cover the back. This is where you really get to shape your cloak to look the way you want it.
6. After that has cured, take some GS about 1/2x to 1x the size of his head and smooth what of the underside is showing. Don't worry about being to exact on this side, because it won't be noticed as much AND too much pushing away may free your cape from the mini. This step is just to cover over anything blaring obvious.
7. After that's all done, take a little blob of GS and touch up any changes you want to make to the cape's general appearance.
8. (Optional) If you want a hood, all you need to do is decide whether you want it up or down. If up, just sculpt a little bag onto the top and back of your mini's head and smooth it down - you will shape it the way you want it as you do this. It won't be hard.
If you want the hood down, grab a blob a little smaller than your mini's head and put it at the back of his neck. Use your tool to press an indention where it meets his head, and follow up with some pressing on the outside to make a more hood-like look. This can be a little tricky, but persistence will give you a perfect hood.
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You're not filling me with confidence... :wink:

I haven't had any experience with Green Stuff before; is it difficult?

And thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It's easier than I'm making it sound. In fact, cloaks is probably the easiest thing to sculpt. The main thing is patience and not expecting perfection on your earliest work.
I have confidence you'll do fine. 8)