All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:05 am

Post subject: Dwarf wagon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I want a dwarf wagon for a scenario I'm planning. I don't mind building one from scratch, but I'd prefer to find one somewhere that might be suitable.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My Googling hasn't been too successful, although there's a Boer ox wagon that might be OK with a bit of work

If I'm going to have to make a conversion, do you think it should have oxen or horses to pull it? Plain or highly decorated? The Gondor wagons in WOTR (book 5) are decorated, but I've got a feeling that Dwarves would be more low-key about transporting anything valuable through the sort of country where they're likely to run into Orcs.

Post subject: Re: Dwarf wagon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Blue Moon Manufacturing Wagons Ho line.
http://bluemoonmanufacturing.com/index.php?cat_id=27

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:55 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Oxen, if its carrying a heavy load (I didn't see a single clydesdale horse anywhere in rohan)
Make it look like its made of strong hardwood, bound with good dwarf-made steel. No decoration.
A simple box-shape with wheels made from balsa should be pretty easy. If you want moving wheels, the orc catapault article is very useful. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

When I read Dwarf Wagon it conjured images of Dwarf traders to my mind. I imagine that the Dwarves who travelled to Hobbiton for Bilbo's party came a long way and carried a great deal of cargo. The only real world wagon I can think of that fits this purpose is the heavy trade wagon's used on the late American Frontier (before there was no more frontier.) You can see a good exmaple in the movie Dances with Wolves, as driven by the trader whom the protagonist travels to the frontier fort with. Given that the wagon was laden with supplies for an entire outpost it looked quite different to ordinary wagons and I think the style might suit the Dwarves quite well - with a slightly heavier construction style. I can't find any good photos but it might be worth a look up :). Here's the one I did find:

Eorling.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

In the battle for skull pass box is also a nice dwarven cart but it needs some heavy chopping to make it lotr like.