All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:02 pm

Post subject: Has anyone tried airbrushing horses?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi folks,

I'm slowly working my way through some new Rohirrim, having finished all the Isengard figiures I had unpainted. A freind of mine is encouraging me to dip my horses, which gives ok results but I like to try to aim for a slightly higher than tabletop standard where I can. So, having recently bought a double action airbrush to replace my knacked old Testors Aztec I've decided to try airbrushing my horses to get nice even blending and dappling effects but in less time than brushing. My airbrush needle is .2mm so I can go very finw with it (with practice.) I was wondering if anyone else has tried this? How did it work out if so? If it works I think I may well write an article describing what I did. Anyone have previous experience to share?

Will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd never thought of that idea, when i think of airbrushed all i can think his magazine model people things.. lol An article would be rather handy 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, from what I've seen it's the best way to do smooth blends and gradients over larger areas and it's quick too. I don't think it would work for the lower legs or head of the horse, but the flanks and withers would come up very nicely I recon as there are a number of areas with shallow depressions which are time consuming to brush nicely. I'll give it a try over the weekend.

I'm tryinhg to alternate between MoR and RoR, saving the heroes for the end when my skills are back up where they were or better. The variety keeps me interested :).

Will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Im sure it can be done and i know there are some real masters of the airbrush out there. I once tried to paint a 54mm horse with an airbrush and it went bad so ive never tried since. I look forward to some photos and maybe an article to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes I definately think it will be tricky, but worth a try. My airbrush is not exactly top end, but if you tune it I'm told that it's very good for the cost. Most of the problems come from defects on the tip of the needle, so I'm going to polish it before I start. I've seen some motorbike helmets decorated with it and they looked stupendous. I'll post back with some pics 8).

Will.