All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:42 am

Post subject: An Question of Ents
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Greetings all. I wanted to throw out a couple questions to anyone that has picked up one of the plastic Ent models from GW. I’m really not a fan of the model for many reasons, but I’m also looking to add some Ents to my SBG and WotR collection and really want to keep them tourney legal…which means sticking with these things at least in part, so…

1. It appears the model comes with at least an extra face option. What other parts are in there as the box says a “host of additional components”? I’m sure it’s beyond hope to think they have as many options as the plastic Troll does but are there at least some body/arm/leg options or is it just a bunch of random twigs?

2. It looks from the pics like it wouldn’t be too hard to modify the model as the joints appear pretty weak. Has anyone done any significant conversion work on one of these yet?

My hope-beyond-hope is that I’ll be able to use the (overpriced and personally disappointing) model in the box as a base from which I can do some (lots) of conversion and sculpting work and churn out maybe two Ents that will actually let me be proud to play them while having just enough GW parts still on them to sneak into a tourney if someone isn’t looking too closely.

advTHANKSance!

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Re: An Question of Ents
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I made my plastic Ent like the one on the box-front of the Ent... and this is what's left from the spares:

Not much heh?
Each hand can be replaced with a hand carrying a rock and one with a stone (or small rock)... Or you could combine one hand rock and one normal... heh. The two fore-arms are only possible to combine with the rock-hands (empty hands are already in one piece with the fore-arms).
Then the face, and the back of the head which can only be combined together.
There's 2 dead orcs, and two spare twigs.

And that's it... Most of the twigs can be repositioned though, but there's barely differnce between them that you won't even notice from a distance of 1m (or 3ft)...

You can easily position the legs and arms as you wish, although I had a hard time getting it in a natural pose (pinning might have helped...)

To bad you focus on the GW-tournaments. Majestic Bear has some really nice Ent-figures!

Post subject: Re: An Question of Ents
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks!

I really do like MB's Ents (and other work), and I wouldn't go so far as to say I have a focus on GW events, but I don't have the time or money to double-do anything related to the hobby (I barely have the money to do much of what I want ONE time :-) ). So I try to stick to GW products simply because if do have that opportunity I don't want a "model legality" question to be an issue. Additionally, when I do spend money on the hobby I try to stick to getting things thru my local game store. They're basically a one-man operation (co-owner is the only person ever working the counter) and they do a lot to promote and support actual players. He keeps his prices really fair, passes along discounts often and obviously keeps profits razor thin while maintaining lots of table space and supporting active local game clubs. So if I'm up in the air on something if I can give them a few dollars of business I will.

I appreciate the pics. The two sets of arms and extra face helps. I am going to try doing custom legs on one model, using the body head and arms from the kit, then on a second model use the kit's legs, other head and other arms with a custom body. That will give me two Ents to go with my Treebeard and have enough GW plastic on each that no one will probably sqwak. I really want to do some full custom Ents later anyway (using the many wonderful ones from the films as guides) so this will give me some good practice. When I pick it up and start work I'll post up some pics.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com