All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:29 pm

Post subject: Hornblowers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey guys, im pretty excited about the new rules for hornblowers but i don't know how to go about converting my plastic warriors into hornblowers, if you guys could help me out it would be much appreciated. I have alot of warhammer fantasy bits if thats any help and atm i have to use a boromir model from the 80's as my gondor hornblower....

P.S. Try to withhold the "blowing my own horn" jokes if you decide to help me out :p
 Post subject: Re: Hornblowers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you're looking to convert I will say it depends a little on what models you are doing. IMHO "evil" models are a little easier because you don't expect an Orc Hornblower to use anything nicer than a basic instrument made of metal or real horn, where a Rohan or Galadrhim hornblower, for example, would probably have something very ornate.

For the more fancy options you probably want to dig around in bitz boxes and find something appropriate. For the basics though some Green Stuff should be fine. Pick a model with an appropriate pose. You don't need them blowing the horn, just holding it if possible, or at least wearing it in a very obvious way. For an Uruk Scout for example, I picked one of the plastics that had no shield, his right arm held a sword and his left arm was extended a bit in front of his body with his palm open. I mad a basic cone out of GS and gave it a slight curve to a "horn" shape, hallowed out the wide end a bit, scraped some basic texture into it and glued it to his open left hand. I then took some very thin material and draped it like a strap around his arm.

One of our local gamers did a conversion for a Dwarf Hornblower using a bit from 40K (I believe) that came out looking great. I'll see if I can find a pic around somewhere.

I am keeping an eye out for a horn to use as a template to cast several for my Rohan army. It looks like a couple of the Riders can be modified relatively easy to hold a horn, and another one or two may be done with the horn hanging from their side or their saddle if it can be made prominent enough for WYSIWYG, but in all of these cases I want a base horn that looks good enough for this ornate culture. I do miss the freedom of Orc/Goblin conversions some times.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Wargames Factory Vikings had a couple of useful horns and arms, that would go with Rohan figures (and will, in my house, one day...).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I find a lot of the warhammer fantasy musicians can make good horn blowers for certain armies. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks guys
Yeah im thinking of getting some uruk hai scouts soon (the fighting uruk hai dont appeal to me) so thanks for the tip. I've got an almost untouched skaven battalion lying around somewhere, ill find a few horns in there if i can. Although im often reluctant to do so because every item has a hand attatched to it which is difficult to remove without making the item look messed up, however this time i plan on putting the horn in someones hand rather than on a belt :D
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

There's an ideal horn on the dark elf cold one knight sprue, if you know any DE players who you could persuade to part with one. Chaos warrior one is cool too iirc, but might be a bit bulky.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for the tip, i have some chaos models lying about, i may snatch a horn off of them...