All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:37 pm

Post subject: Moving miniatures
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:20 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi guys,

I'm moving soon and have hundreds of minis in my display cabinet. Any tips on how to transport them safely to the new home? I'm not going to buy a big pile of GW's figure cases...

Especially Balrog, Fell Beast and a big Klingon Bird of Prey worry me because of their wings. Plastic cavalry models may prove to be vulnerable too.

-- Pasi
 Post subject: Re: Moving miniatures
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I moved a few times, what I did personally was put my big models (like the mumakil) in it's own shopping mall bag, put it on the back rear dashboard and not near anything heavy where it can be crushed if I were to break hard. I only have one small army case for my figures, so I made multiple trips, of course the distance I was traveling was short, only several minutes on the highway.

If you can make multiple trips if your new place isn't far away, that would be a plus, especially if you're transporting other boxes & objects so you're not wasting fuel on miniatrures alone. If you're using a moving truck, well I can't help you there.

Post subject: Re: Moving miniatures
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Get a plastic tub with a flat bottom. Cut a piece of insulation foam to fit. Then use a 25mm hole saw to make holes. You can see about 80 will fit in this size tub. I would use a plastic Ice cream tub for the large models. You can find or make a paper box if you like. The tub is about 3$ at Walmart. It took me and three movers about three days to pack a few 100,000 of a friends Miniatures when he moved.I am going to convert every thing to this type of storage before I move. I have no desire to repeat that nightmare.