All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:45 pm

Post subject: Finecast
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Alright, I just thought i'd mention my issues with finecast. There wasn';t anything wrong at all with painting it, just gluing the damn thing together with poly-cement glue (not GW plastic glue), the tube stuff: https://www.modelsforsale.com/listphotos/HPE4422.jpg

And it would not stick or set at all, I was constructing my Troll Chieftain. all it seemed to do was blend with the finecast material and king of 'erode' at it. Metal glue, however (this stuff: https://images.staples-eu.com/App_Theme ... _1_std.jpg) worked.

Note: I have been using poly-cement since I started the hobby in 2002. It's held my Mumak together since 2004 boxing day)

I was wondering, have any of you guys experienced this problem, or something similar to it?

Post subject: Re: Finecast
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

GW did say that no plastic glue/polycement will work on Finecast minis.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ah. Wasn't aware of that factor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gothmog is right, the plastic glue won't work, but GW's super glue (or whatever they call it) the metal glue, will work just fine, oh well, that's what they tell us.. Don't have any finecast yet (unfortunatly I'll have to buy it if they make the dwarf stuff in finecast..) nothing can win from the good old metal models! :-X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Eaothen-the-brave wrote:
Gothmog is right, the plastic glue won't work, but GW's super glue (or whatever they call it) the metal glue, will work just fine, oh well, that's what they tell us.. Don't have any finecast yet (unfortunatly I'll have to buy it if they make the dwarf stuff in finecast..) nothing can win from the good old metal models! :-X

Amen to that. I am not happy that the poly cement sounded like it softened the resin but I am also concerned that if you pox up a paintjob, you cannot strip it with the same stuff you can metal minis. Plus I am against the total increase of packaging and the sprue that cannot be recycled. But that is another story!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Morgoths_crown wrote:
Eaothen-the-brave wrote:

Amen to that. I am not happy that the poly cement sounded like it softened the resin but I am also concerned that if you pox up a paintjob, you cannot strip it with the same stuff you can metal minis. Plus I am against the total increase of packaging and the sprue that cannot be recycled. But that is another story!

I agree with that.. I finally found a product which can strip metal and plastic, but resin, I dunno.. I don't want to try it either, I don't want to ruin a model which costed me such a lot of money for a product which is cheaper.. I mean, 26 euro's for 2 models? That's just stupid (and I'll expres that lightly, don't want to receive an angry mail ofcourse). And also what you said about recycling, not that I'm so kind to our enviroment all the time, but if it'll help, sure, why not, to bad resin doesn't help.. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
I am not happy that the poly cement sounded like it softened the resin

its hard to explain what it did. I'm trying to think of something to compare... it was as if it was stripping the material like how tablets dissolve, of course the glue didn't fizzle away at the material, it just slowly chipped at it similar to how a tablet is dissolved

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ritcherd wrote:
Quote:
I am not happy that the poly cement sounded like it softened the resin

its hard to explain what it did. I'm trying to think of something to compare... it was as if it was stripping the material like how tablets dissolve, of course the glue didn't fizzle away at the material, it just slowly chipped at it similar to how a tablet is dissolved

The glue seems to be reacting in a similar way to when you put poly glue onto polystyrene. Made up my mind on finecast as I would prefer the good old fashioned brittle resin!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Speaking of which, one question that has never been answered to me is why is the LOTR range of miniatures smaller scale than that of warhammer or 40k?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
LOTR range of miniatures smaller scale than that of warhammer or 40k?

It was in the contract. I understand Peter Jackson likes that scale. May be some one remembers more details.
I know that more of my friends would have purchased the figures for other games if they were scaled larger. I hope they don't change at this late date. :o :o :o :o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:56 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I think its so that you can't do conversions combining models from lotr range and warhammer/40k as that is against their licence and its illegal for GW to show any or even acknowledge their existence.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

"illegal"l is not quite the right word but you are correct that could violate the contract. Civil penalties would depend on the contract.

I am not a non attorney spokesperson and I have never played one on TV :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ritcherd may i ask what was the quality of the troll chief? Only asking cause im thinking of getting one. Sorry if off topic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

{aD}??? wrote:
Ritcherd may i ask what was the quality of the troll chief? Only asking cause im thinking of getting one. Sorry if off topic.

the quality, i must admit, was brilliant. no out-of-place weapon, no unbalanced feet, great detail and far more attractive to look at than a metal model (unpainted). nice and light too. overall, great product, not a great price, however but we can all agree to that

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

{aD}??? wrote:

See also http://wernershobbyblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/second-assembling-experience-with.html
Is just started painting him and I like it still...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I hear the quality is good so I may make the investment. Does it come in one of them new clampacks or a box? Sorry if I ask a lot of questions but I only get the chance to go to a GW store in holidays.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:13 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Sorry Ritcherd but your finecast troll chieftain doesn't look any more detailed than my metal troll chieftain, just because it has more detail than a lesser metal troll doesn't mean it has more detail than the other chieftain.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The polycement probably reacted because they have said that the resin blend includes a small amount of a kind of plastic, I believe.

As for stripping, test products on spare sprue ;)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hashut's Blessing wrote:
As for stripping, test products on spare sprue ;)

good idea