All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Finecast defects
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

So, with all the talk of finecast, I was thinking of starting a thread that showed the specific problems people have had with the models. Don't go into too much detail, and don't use this as a place to beat up on GW, I just want to use this to determine whether or not I should buy a mini based on the problems others have with it, maybe see if the problem is widespread (apperently like the Great Beast) or just s specific packs (the sword is broken).

I'll start. I have FC Theoden, but he came packaged with 2 foot models, but no mounted models. Got another one sent, and it was fine, just that pack.

EDIT: Also please include any FC models you have that are fine. If it has a little bubble or something that nobody would notice, I would class that as fine.

In this case, I also have Saruman and Grima and both are great.

Fine, with random screw ups (bubbles, broken pieces):
Saruman and Grima
Theoden
Gulavhar
Uruks with Crossbows
Amdur
Suladan
Dain and Balin
Uruk-hai Beserkers
Iron Guards
Vault Wardens
Easterling Warpriests
Dragon

Major defects on multiple packs:
Great Beast of Gorgoroth

Last edited by Draugluin on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Finecast defects
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

haha thats pretty unlucky
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The problem with these threads is no one makes a thread that shows how the majority of peoples models are perfectly fine ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That's why I'm asking if alot of people have problems with it. For instance, if I had gotten ANOTHER Theoden like that, I would be tempted to say that all of them were like that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have 2 finecast models. Theoden is fine, I am really happy with it. Gulavhar has a section about 2cm long missing from the tail where it curves around the rock at the back.
Gulalvhar I brought from ebay as 'new in box', but for less than half price so I am not too unhappy with this. If I had bought it from a shop I would have taken it back.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would say this, if you can not look at the finecast mini, think really hard before buying it. I think whoever is casting these things(especially new releases) are removing them too early part of the time resulting in many bent or misshapen parts, and there are also a lot of bubbles. Some bubbles are in bad places, which you should be able to see through the blister.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:15 pm 
I had purchased 3 packages of FC Urak-hai crossbowmen direct from my local GW and 1 of the 3 packages had a major defect -- the crossbows did not form at all in that 1 package. Exchange was quick and easy though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
That's why I'm asking if alot of people have problems with it. For instance, if I had gotten ANOTHER Theoden like that, I would be tempted to say that all of them were like that.

Well, that's kind of a problem with these kinds of threads, yeah? You're generally going to get negative to very negative replies, because people are upset about their purchases. So, I dunno, I don't think an internet forum is the best way to judge how well casted these are.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I didn't want this (it might become like that despite what I want) to be all about how bad Finecast is. I like Finecast, the details are amazing, but I realize that some of them aren't cast very well. I want this to determine whether it's just a random bad pack (like Theoden) or numerous packs are bad (apperently like the Great Beast) to help me (and others) figure out if it's worth getting a model if so many others like it aren't made very well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I believe I have already answered but since you have been so kind as to post a new topic, I will repeat, for it gives me pleasure to let off steam (and as for the style of language that for the moment I am using, you can blame Shakespeare). I purchased but two Finecast models, Amdur and the Great Beast. The two halves of the latter are not even close to fitting together, the holes it comes with I could manage, but the problem is that the pieces don't fit together. Amdur mounted is missing oone of the Easterlings trade mark helmet spikes. However, one does believe that most Finecast products are not faulty, but simply require attention, however, for me this was not the case.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So far I have
Sulladen - perfect
Dain n Balin (slight short mould on one half of hte cape of Balin. EAsily sorted)
4 urak crossbows - perfect
4 beserkers - perfect
4 iron guard - 3 perfect 1 with slight bubble on axe head. Fixed easily
Vault warden - perfect

So over all happy.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok, so my War Priest model, his "spear shaft" was way outta whack, but a few minutes in hot water kinda straighten it enough I hope. Finecast Vault Warden, well yep you guessed it, the pike was pretty much a curve, haven't tried to straighten yet but sure it'll be ok, though of course the several metal Vault Wardens I have in my collection do not show this peculiarity.... And although I'm not altogether against Finecast, for the premium we pay for these model we should expect an overall high standard of casting. after all who else but GW could charge £14 for a single mounted figure.... Of course when they get it right they look pretty awesome.

:)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Already spoke about my unsought for Finecast dragon on the other topic, but I'll re-phrase again. Overall happy with the mould of my dragon. If I remember correctly, the tail had a gap between the connections to the torso, nothing green stuff can't solve, if I were to work with green stuff that is, so the gap is still there. Slight bubbles here and there in insignificant places that I don't mind. Great detail of course. Hope the wings and head don't slump on me during summer!

@Draugluin, I agree with Black Knight. You should edit your OP to include positive results as well, as some here already replied. Overall I think that this is a great topic worthy of maybe a sticky. To keep records of members' Finecast purchases and overall satisfaction. BOTH positive and negative.

This topic does help give an idea of what is a fluke and what is a common mistake in a particular model mould.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:07 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mordor Troll Chieftain I checked in the store and there was a problem with the eye, a few days later I got a new one which was perfect.
Gûlavhar: The Terror of Arnor: perfect!

For more of my (little) experience: http://wernershobbyblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Citadel%20Finecast

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My only finecast so far has been one of the new Galadhrim Command boxes. I did have a slight issue with the elf with war horn in that while I had it in some water to remove the mould release agent stuff, the horn fell off. I was expecting from reading other posts on here that the finecast models would be more fragile and given how clumsy i am i half expect that may cause problems later, but this one wasn't even knocked as far as i'm aware. It is a little unfortunate that without his horn he looks like he is just politely coughing into his hand. However it was very easy to glue back on and so far hasn't given me any other problems.

Apart from that i have to say that so far I am very happy with the 4 models, no sign of any bubbles or deformities at all.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

My Bloodthirster of Khorne (40k) had major wing problems, was very anoying, large amounts of deep holes and multiple smaller holes and bubble on fingers.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I do recommend sticky topic under an appropriate subject board such as "Help with Miniatures".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:38 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Can you transfer a thread from one subject board to another?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mods and Admins can move topics around. This is not really News & Rumours rather it's Help with Miniature Figures.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I only have one finecast mini so far (the WHFB vampire chick) and it was perfect. I've put the same model together in metal (which is why i got this one; wanted a direct metal/finecast comparison) and where as the metal one took a lot of cleanup and a pinning job to keep the sword arm on, the 'cast version was cleaned up in an hour and went together like a charm. Detail's sharper, too. Sure, it was pricier, but I don't mind that if I'm getting a better product, which I did in this case.

Trouble is, I had to pick through at least a halfdozen blisters to get that perfectly cast one, and while I was there I looked into getting an empire captain as well, but every single one of those on the rack was miscast or broken.

Now, with single-model blisters you can do that, but all those finecast sets in boxes, with multiple miniatures? I'm extremely hesitant. I'm sure at least one of those would be borked one way or another. Thing to do would be to open it in the store and exchange it on the spot if it was wrong, but they still make me nervous.

e; to be fair, though, I've had more than my share of metal minis with casting defects or breakages over the years (worst thing I saw: a wood elf standard bearer with no face at all) so it's not like this is a unique finecast problem, but it does seem to me the quality control is much more lax and a lot more stuff hits the shelves these days as has no right to be there.

Mordor-ob bot-tuk
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next