All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:16 pm

Post subject: Glueing swords back on
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I was able to land an armored glorfindel from ebay a while ago, and I was really excited.

Unfortunately in the shipping (Despite being wrapped amazingly.) the sword was weaken and then eventually fell of.

One of the things I hate the most is superglueing swords back on models. It drives me INSANE, and I can never do it right. So any advice? What are your best techniques to glue swords back on? Best glue to use? How long should you let it sit? So you try to hold it together while it dries, or try to set it up to naturally push together?

So far I have had no success on gluing glorfindel's sword back on.
 Post subject: Re: Glueing swords back on
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Use super glue. Take a small pin set and drill a hole in the place where the sword broke off. Be careful to make it just slightly larger than the sword. The small hole should give you a base to rest the sword in and lend some stability. I will warn, however, that the sword will always be weak and have to be paid special attention to as not to rebreak it.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow, I would have never thought of that thank you.

For a pin set, are you taking of just some needles? Or is this something that comes with a sowing kit?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:03 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Pin vice . . . hand drill.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just use a pin vice to drill holes in the sword and its shaft (but not deep enough to damage the blade), then superglue the sword with a little piece of paper clip in the drilled holes to keep the miniature strong. This is called pinning.

Pinning tutorial: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... g-Tutorial

For an advanced tutorial, click here: http://5-th-dimension.blogspot.se/2011/ ... tures.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:30 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You might want to try an accelerator
http://www.amazon.com/Insta-set-acceler ... ccelerator
A lot of people don't like Cyanoacrylate Accelerator. I use it but it is not a substitute for pining. Some people say it makes a weaker bond. I believe that is only if the object can be clamped in place instead. You can't clamp and glue something as small as a sword. So I don't think it will make any difference for replacing something like a weapon.
One tip . Put the glue on the hand and the accelerator on the sword. It will bond instantly. Take care it is a good way to glue a model to your hand too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I got Mines of Moria about a month ago (plan on getting more if I can find an opponent over here!) When it got here, Legolas had a weakened bow. The top half fell of and I flipped, got freaking mad! After "work" that day (9 hours of babysitting) I was able to go out and get a small bottle of instant crazy glue. That stuff sticks! All you need is a little dab of it, and the bow was on. Now, Legolas is the only figure I wouldn't be worried about breaking! The main thing to remember is that the glue is very runny when it comes out. You need to hold the bow in place while it dries. It took me a few tries to get it right. After fixing Legolas, I accidentally cut off Sam's legs. I got mad at how brittle these were. Two dabs of glue and about five minutes later, her was back on!