All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:31 pm

Post subject: Post-WR South Gondor Company
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey all the Appendices make note that King Elessar rode into Harad and brought it under Gondorian control during the Fourth Age. After watching some movies like The Man Who Would Be King and the later Sharpe films set in India, I'm inspired to create a force of mixed Gondorian and Haradrim men.

Which models and stats should I use for it? I'd been considering doing a mix of both for the models. The profiles could really boil down to Good or Evil though, in a "counts as" fashion.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject: Re: Post-WR South Gondor Company
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have also had ideas like this. My advice would be to give certain warriors of Minas Tirith Haradrim heads with turbans and head scarves. Dol Amroth knights would be good troupes for this as well as there border lies north of Near Harad. http://www.blackbirdmedia.org/miniature ... hich=skoda This article should give you some ideas. I have always believed that after the war of the ring, Harad would break up into realms of tribal warlords following the death of suladin. There would be many different factions competing, Royalists- natives who supported King Elessar represented by black white heraldry, Nationlist rebels- who want to keep a united Harad who are lead by a [word deleted] son of Suladin; therefore traditional colours, Sauronists- who refuse to accept the destruction of their lord and continue his plan to subjugate Gondor, warring hasharin brotherhoods along with rival warlords look to pick up the pieces. For my haradrim armies I use a series of models including wargames factory minature persians. Have fun :puppy:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hmmm, that link is one I'd seen ages ago and since forgotten. Thanks, it helps greatly. As an aside, does anyone know whether those shields are separate or if the riders come off the horses?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

@ Lord Hurin: Yes, those shields are separate, and those riders are cast separately from the horses. However, I can't recommend those models anymore really... They are lead-pewter figs and not all that cheap. If you want a great set of figs that represent the Normans, I'd recommend Conquest's plastic Normans, they have both mounted and foot figures, and they are very reasonable priced!

The Conquest Normans are easier to post differently than the GW LotR plastics (at least up until 2010), and they are designed to work with round or tear-shaped shields as well. I have an article where I compare them to some Lord of the Rings, Wargames Factory and Gripping Beast figs. Over all, I'd say that they are an excellent match for the LotR figs. Finally, being plastic they are a lot easier (and less toxic than lead) to work with!

Also, thanks Fingol for posting the link to my site :)

Finally, I'd say that Tolkien was referring more to the Spanish Reconquista when he wrote about Aragorn and Umbar than the Crusades in the Middle East. As such, I'd take cues from that conflict.

Thanks
n.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Perrys use lead for their minis? I didn't even know that was still allowed!

Ah well, I have seen the Conquest figures around and they do look good. I'll have to get a box some time and see what I can do with them. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This sounds like a good idea for some interesting conversions