All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:32 pm

Post subject: Making bowstrings
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hi all
has anybody got any good ways to add a bowstring to a model's bow?

I'd probaly make it out of green stuff but it would have to be rediculously thin :roll:

any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Making bowstrings
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 am 
Hi,

Ithere's a method which consists of melting a piece of plastic spue over a candle or a lighter until it's soft and than pull it with tweezer! This gives you relatively thin bowstrings ;) The method is a bit tricky at the beginning though, because you got to figure out when the plastic has reached the right consistency...it goes rather quickly from perfect consistence to burning which is bad! Always do this outside, the vapors from melting/burning plastic are toxic!

Here is a link to the original article (which is in German unfortunately, but the pictures explain the method quite well ;) ) http://www.tabletop-hdr.de/tipps-und-tricks/bogensehnen-von-mike/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:02 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I can speak and read perfect German if anyone needs a translation... :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

.:Gunslinger:. wrote:
Hi,

Ithere's a method which consists of melting a piece of plastic spue over a candle or a lighter until it's soft and than pull it with tweezer! This gives you relatively thin bowstrings ;) The method is a bit tricky at the beginning though, because you got to figure out when the plastic has reached the right consistency...it goes rather quickly from perfect consistence to burning which is bad! Always do this outside, the vapors from melting/burning plastic are toxic!

Here is a link to the original article (which is in German unfortunately, but the pictures explain the method quite well ;) ) http://www.tabletop-hdr.de/tipps-und-tricks/bogensehnen-von-mike/

thanks for the link, gunslinger!

i will give that a go today

@monotone_matt: many thanks for the kind offer mate but google auto-translated it for me :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Try a steel guitar string gauge 008. You can buy them individually.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:41 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Or fuse wire :)

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:58 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

:O i feel so obsolete! :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've used thin thread early on and it came out ok. If I revisit this effort I'm going to go with guitar string or similar though, as long as I can pull it tight enough with the anchors used.

My issue with bowstrings is that (1) you need to make them amazingly tight for them to look realistic and (2) as soon as the bowstring is on now it seems to me it needs an arrow. A very fine hard wire is ok for an arrow but then it needs fletchings which is another effort...it starts to become a whole "give a mouse a cookie" situation (for those of you with small children).

For me, all this effort is fine a significant hero, but as a personal preference I believe the illusion of the pulled bow is better for the mass troops and lesser heroes and captains. Maybe if I didn't worry about the arrow I'd feel different.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

"give a mouse a cookie" situation (for those of you with small children).

That was hilarious, I totally get that.

On topic: have any of you tried very thin bristles of some sort? Like from cheap paint brushes? Or the long static grass?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi
I put bowstrings in all my mini's I use transparent hemming thread, I use superglue to stick one end then stretch it tight and glue the other end. I still think even this is a little large!
However my wife has r e a l l y long hair, no I'm not going to pluck a hair from her head. But the next time she brushes her hair I will use one of the loose ones. So I'll try a strand of her hair and see how easy it is to work with. My only concern is that the strand might be really springy and difficult to work with, but I think it's worth a try I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Woodelf
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I use thin brush bristles for antenna on (15mm) tanks. It's durable and really looks good for that. The issue I'd say is that it's not the right consistency to get the really tight pull you'll want on a bow string. Human hair sounds like an interesting idea and unless there's a brittleness issue you should be able to really get it tight. Your wife may start looking at you funny if you keep checking her brush every day so you may want to give her a heads-up...unless that will creep her out anyway.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nylon hemming thread is the best way to go. There are several different thicknesses available (I prefer a mid-range option) so it's easy to find one that you'll be satisfied with.
As for knocked arrows, I just straighten a staple. I haven't bothered much with fletching them, and haven't really been bothered by the absence. I'd imagine, though, that a thin superglue could be applied to the end you want fletched, followed by a small piece of paper. Simple enough.