All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:24 am

Post subject: Re: Hobbit Finecast
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I got Fimbul and Bolg and they're fine. FImbul seems a bit smaller than the plastic Hunter Orcs, but that's down to sculpt rather than a bad casting job. To me though, the material still feels flimsy and cheap compared to metal.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm hoping to pick up a couple of the new Finecast miniatures tomorrow, so will give my first impressions here... The word on the net is that they have improved...
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well most of mine are Christmas presents, but I did pick up that Narzug fellow and he is spotless. 100% perfect. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I caved in and bought Narzug and Bolg and both seem fine, although Narzug's bow/sword was really flimsy and came off when I was trimming flash off the model. All pinned and happy now though. They do seem much better than my previous FC experiences.

PS I'm still waiting for SuperFineCast to be released in about 5 years time - like finecast but made of metal so it's stronger!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I picked up the White Council and they were all perfect, the only disappointment being the fact that Galadriel is drastically underscale, but that's an issue with the sculpt and not the quality of FineCast. I also bought and assembled Bolg for my brother, again, no issues other complaints whatsoever. I'm definitely prepared to say that the old quality issues of FineCast have certainly been addressed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Fishlegs wrote:
I caved in and bought Narzug and Bolg and both seem fine, although Narzug's bow/sword was really flimsy and came off when I was trimming flash off the model. All pinned and happy now though. They do seem much better than my previous FC experiences.

PS I'm still waiting for SuperFineCast to be released in about 5 years time - like finecast but made of metal so it's stronger!

Yep, my narzug's bow snapped off too, though it was already bent and seemed like it wasn't 100% before I opened it. I'll see if I can exchange it.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I received a few finecast models for Christmas. For the most part I cannot see any flaws in the casting and none of those horrible airbubbles. However, Saruman's staff is broken at the hand and the top of the staff is missing from the box. I assume I can get a replacement at my local store? Or is it better to contact customer services?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Minimal Monkey Saddle wrote:
I received a few finecast models for Christmas. For the most part I cannot see any flaws in the casting and none of those horrible airbubbles. However, Saruman's staff is broken at the hand and the top of the staff is missing from the box. I assume I can get a replacement at my local store? Or is it better to contact customer services?

The store or customer services will be happy to exchange it for you. If possible I would take it to a store as although GW customer services are pretty darned good they can take a while to send your replacement. I waited 3 months for a replacement Easterling commanders box. In store you'll get the replacement in your hand straight away. Oh and Merry Christmas MMS

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd take it back to the store if I were you. Saruman's staff was slightly bent for me, but I can't believe even the broken off part wasn't in the box. Mind you I had a similar situation with a finecast Elven banner a few months ago. Hope the issue is resolved quickly for you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

They have been getting much much better (I see quite a bit of finecast at my local shop) and have noticed that ever since first gen finecast they have gone down in overall problems. I also noticed that in large releases the first "Wave" of boxes will be the ones with an issue, and the restocks will be fine. So, that being said I only really watch for the original finecast models for problems, most others are pretty easy to fix and not worth the extra hassle of an exchange.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have them all and they are all flawless.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I got an exchange at the store. Out of the six finecast models I now have I have noticed one very small airbubble as the only flaw. Well done gw.