All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:48 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Finecast Sauron
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I just bought this model from gw but have found it to be covered in bubbles. Most of it is fine but the bottom of the cloak has a load of small ones (I can deal with these) but the main problem is the top of the main body (looking down) has about 50 small air bubbles in it, many of them obscuring detail (this is the bit I can't fix without spending some hours on it). Has anyone else had this problem? Also would gw refund this for me since I don't think it is of acceptable quality?

I understand some air bubbles in resin are inevitable but I managed to do better when casting my own things with a £50 kit. I think I'll just get the metal one of ebay.

Post subject: Re: Finecast Sauron
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would take it back. It's not up to standard and you want an exchange.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Return it. Poor quality casting is and should be GW's problem, not their customers'.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

J Smith wrote:
I just bought this model from gw but have found it to be covered in bubbles. Most of it is fine but the bottom of the cloak has a load of small ones (I can deal with these) but the main problem is the top of the main body (looking down) has about 50 small air bubbles in it, many of them obscuring detail (this is the bit I can't fix without spending some hours on it). Has anyone else had this problem? Also would gw refund this for me since I don't think it is of acceptable quality?

I understand some air bubbles in resin are inevitable but I managed to do better when casting my own things with a £50 kit. I think I'll just get the metal one of ebay.

Yes I have had the problem. No you should not have to fix it. It is defective. Send it back. It is not acceptable quality.

Quote:
I understand some air bubbles in resin are inevitable but I managed to do better when casting my own things with a £50 kit.

Air bubbles are a difficult problem but not inevitable as you have discovered with your own work. Fine cast quality control has improved from completely unacceptable to just unacceptable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would be extremely interested in a good close up photograph of this model.
Been thinking of picking it up. I really like the Finecast resin miniatures.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

that's kinda surprising. My finecast Sauron was nearly perfect when I got it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:23 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

GW have little in the way of Quality Control due to the sheer volume of minis they have to produce to meet global demand. They do have an excellent returns/ exchange policy however and will gladly provide you with a new one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

lordgoober wrote:

Yeah, I have seen a bunch of Finecast mini's in the stores. Have not noticed any major flaws in the clampacks I checked. Maybe that is just a USA experience? Were you able to get a quality close up photo of your mini for our examination?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Rangefinder wrote:
lordgoober wrote:

Yeah, I have seen a bunch of Finecast mini's in the stores. Have not noticed any major flaws in the clampacks I checked. Maybe that is just a USA experience? Were you able to get a quality close up photo of your mini for our examination?

I have not had a positive experience with Fine Cast. I have promised not to Bash Games Work Shop so I am not going to get into it. I would not ask you to prove with a Photo that you have a flawless Fine cast Miniature. I do not think it is reasonable for you to ask for proof a miniature is defective. I never purchased a defective metal miniature from GW in over 20 years. That does not mean they did not make any defective metal miniatures only that I did not see one. I noticed that you said major flaws. That means to me you were expecting to find some.
I don't believe you meant any offence. But surly you see now how it could be interpreted that way. Fine cast has caused me to stop collecting GW. I am overly sensitive to the subject. I am just as sick of the GW flag waving as many of you are tired of the constant GW price complaints. This will be my last comment on fine cast. I am tired of The GW hobby subject in General.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oldman Willow wrote:
I am overly sensitive to the subject.

Evidently so. There's no flag waving going on here. Rangefinder wasnt asking for proof he is just curious to see what the issue is having not had the opportunity to witness the problem first hand. Its hard to notice defects in their packaging without knowing what to look for. I do not think it unreasonable to ask if a photo of the problem is available in this situation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm afraid I can't get a photo, the model had already gone back by the time I saw that post. Sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I hoped I made it clear that I did not think Pathfinder was out of line. If I did not, then I will gladly apologize. The subject of Flag waving is again my fault. I should have made a new Paragraph.

Quote:
I do not think it unreasonable to ask if a photo of the problem is available in this situation.

We will have to disagree.
I am going to explain my sensitivity. While trying to deal with a mis-cast fine-cast product unsuccessfully one of the mail order people accused me of trying to get something for nothing. All of the models in that batch were defective. GW knew that and sent them out anyway. The GW employee tried to get me to give up by implying I was a lair and a thief. I insisted the supervisor call me back . I got an apology and yet another defective miniature. Replacing a defective miniature with another defective miniature is not good customer service.
The gentleman stated there was a problem. It is rude and provocative to suggest that he prove it. "I never had a problem with GW customer service" is not evidence some one else has not. A photo is evidence. So we have to provide a photo so we can prove we are not lying.That is not provocative?

I was as nice as I could be and made a point that I did not think Pathfinder did this on purpose.
Reasonable photo?
Had the question been how do I fix this?--- a photo would have been reasonable.

ukfreddybear
I am sorry we disagree. I feel you are doing you job. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You are missing the point Charlie. Nobody here is demanding that J Smith provide a proof picture to see if he is lying. Asking for a picture of a hole ridden mini on a forum board so we know what to look out for ourselves is not the same as a supplier demanding to see one to prove it is defective. They are two completely different things. :) I personally would welcome more pictures of defective minis so that we can become better educated in our consumer choices, but I fear the thread would quickly diminish into a 'finecast is garbage' thread unfortunately. If you'd like to discuss it further, by all means fire me a PM. I'm locking this thread now as it has run its course.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]