All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:35 pm

Post subject: Choosing Wargs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi, I have a question for you people. Which of the two warg figures you like better?

This

Or this?

Aaaaaand what do you think about these ones? Would they make good wargs or are they looking like "ordinary" wolves?
 Post subject: Re: Choosing Wargs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally I much prefer the Fell Wargs to the LOTR Hyena style Wargs. I do however respect what Peter Jackson did in terms of design with using a scaled up Hyena as the basic model for his Wargs look. Whether you like it or not I feel that it was a strong image that made an impact.

I was however annoyed by G.W. on providing two basic poses with no alternative heads.

The Fell Wargs in my opinion are much closer to how I imagined Tolkien's Wargs, pretty much based upon the European Timber Wolf.

Bizarrely enough I found this link whilst checking my wolf facts, which lead (absolutely a pun intended) to a miniature manufacture that I was previously ignorant of, which produces models of said Lupine creature:
http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/vi ... uct=BMM106

I prefer the model wolves in picture three to the Hyena's, but feel that they have a somewhat Warhammerish over the top look, which is not my cup of tea. Perhaps "exaggerated" is the word I am looking for, but either way aesthetics aside, they are the fruit of a skilled hand.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

While I don't dislike the design of the old wargs, the plastic models aren't great (note the 'plastic', the metals are rather nice). The poses are boring and those flat backs simply look bad.
Fell wargs are obviously much more dynamic and varied, although I think a different paintjob would make them better, as the current transition from shaggy to smooth fur is much too abrupt and looks terrible I think, as if they are partially bald. Especially in that aspect the last bunch are my favourites, although once again the paintjob will play a role there. Heads and tails look a bit better on those too I think.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
While I don't dislike the design of the old wargs, the plastic models aren't great (note the 'plastic', the metals are rather nice). The poses are boring and those flat backs simply look bad.

I think CS that you are bang on there, something that has always bothered me!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Fell wargs are obviously much more dynamic and varied, although I think a different paintjob would make them better, as the current transition from shaggy to smooth fur is much too abrupt and looks terrible I think, as if they are partially bald. Especially in that aspect the last bunch are my favourites, although once again the paintjob will play a role there. Heads and tails look a bit better on those too I think.

What kind of a paint job for fell wargs you have in mind?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well... they all have pro's and cons...

The hyena wargs may have not the best look and flat backs, but they are covered in fur at least.

The one thing I dislike about teh fell wargs is that they look kind of bald to me.. they could have made great models.. but no, not like this unfortunately..

Warhammer wolfs looks quite nice imho, I thought about buying some to use them as fell wargs, but haven't done that so far :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I have the concept art books for the LOTR. The original wolfs looked like the old Chronicle wolfs. PJ thought they looked too much like D&D. Of course they did :) Warhammer and D&D figures were based on Allan Lees drawings. :lol:
I have some of all of them so I mix them up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

They all have their +/-'s.

The original wild wargs are very good, you can't really say there is anything wrong with them. The flat backs I assume were just because they were taken from warg riders, but it is really easy to stick some GS on and sculpt it to be fur like. I like that they are covered in fur which gives them a very standard look. They can be painted to a high detail or to an amateur standard and still look very good, so it is dependent on what you are looking for.

The fell wargs are obviously better in the pose department and look very realistic in this sense. As others have said, I am not such a fan of the transition from skin to fur, though there are hounds where this is exactly the case, so I wouldn't call it unrealistic, just uncommon because it looks so unsightly to many people.
These were made to be fell wargs and nothing else in my opinion. It is reflected throughout the whole sculpt. This means that you really need to paint them as such and are more restricted to highlighting the same areas (ribs, flanks, mane). They are excellent models, so this isn't really a problem, but it does mean that you should pick out all these details carefully or the model will not look as good, so it will take longer to paint.

The wolves I like but wouldn't get more than one pack of. I think the eyes are too light which doesn't fit them so you would need to be thoughtful as to how you painted them as they are much more significant and visible than the wargs. Anatomy wise I think they are very good, they have the best tails of the lot.
I don't like the sculpt work though. To me it appears lazy in the mid section with not enough detail that can easily be made out. The transition from fur ti skin I think is a little bare/stark in some places which to me doesn't really look wolf like.

If you would have been more specific as what you wanted, I wouldn't have had to write all that :D Assuming you want to use these as wild wargs, I would rank:
#1 Wild Wargs, #2 Fell Wargs, #3 Wolves. Leave the fell wargs for more significant models to make them stand out. Wild Wargs are easiest to paint to a tabletop or better standard. Given some flock on their base they would look much better as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:45 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would like all three, more variation

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

When the new Hobbit figures came out in December I really wasn't that taken with the Fell Wargs, I don't think they look that much better than the WIld Wargs. The Finecast captain ones are a different story, Yazneg and Fimbul's Wargs are excellent, really dynamic poses although sadly cast with the rider. The main advantage of the Fell Wargs is there's a far better range of sculpts (5/6 instead of 2) which makes for a better looking force.

I'm a big fan of the Fenrisian Wolves too, when they were first released I was keen to buy a box to convert into Warg Marauders (with only 2 goblins on the back mind) but I've yet to get round to it. I think they suffer from having a very 'Warhammer' paint job, if painted in the more muted tones of the Fell Wargs I think they'd look great.

I seem to remember reading a thread a while back that said the Fenrisian Wolves were a fair bit bigger than the SBG wargs though so might not mix well.

I've already painted up 18 Wargs/Warg riders and felt no compulsion whatsoever to buy the new Fell Wargs/Hunter Orcs on Wargs. However, if I was starting out now, I'd probably get the Fell Wargs to tie in with the Finecast captains.

Also, it might be worth considering the price as you can get the Wild Wargs on ebay for pretty cheap, could be a good incentive.

Ultimately there are two considerations to bear in mind:

1) which models do you like the most? You'll paint the ones you like better than the ones you don't.

2) Are you going to be entering any tournaments/playing competitive games? If so you might need to consider proxies. If you go to a GW tournament you wouldn't be able to use Fell Wargs as Wild Wargs and vice versa so your hands may be tied by whether you want to use a Moria or Azog's Hunters army.

Hope this helps!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A Fenrisian Wolf might make a good chieftain?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

On this note has anyone thought about using fell wargs with goblins on as warg marauders, it could look really cool I reckon.
Also the fenrisian wolf could be a suitable substitute white warg for azog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Grungehog wrote:
On this note has anyone thought about using fell wargs with goblins on as warg marauders, it could look really cool I reckon.
Also the fenrisian wolf could be a suitable substitute white warg for azog

Thats a great idea GH, their pose is so much more dynamic and suiting to a warg rebelling against mere goblins upon its back!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I like all three. I would use the first lot for mordor/isengard warg riders, and the second for the hunter orcs, and say they are different breeds (which they probably are - gundabag wargs?)

VG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:04 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like all the wargs there. The bottom ones would look great with a more realistic paintjob. I could take or leave the gundabad wargs until I got a box as a gift, they are actually excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Rognarr wrote:
The hyena wargs may have not the best look and flat backs, but they are covered in fur at least.

The one thing I dislike about teh fell wargs is that they look kind of bald to me.. they could have made great models.. but no, not like this unfortunately..

My sentiments exactly. If I ever pick up that middle set, I would have to add fur to the bald spots. They just irritate me :) Shame really because apart from that they are the best sculpts in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

IMO the metal Wargs being ridden are the best, bit like the Warg Chieftan style. Shame they never did metal non-rider versions