All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:12 pm

Post subject: Isengard questions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:07 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I am after a few bits of advice on Isengard models.

1. Pikemen. I have a fair number of second hand pikemen. Some are partially painted others not. Most have broken or bent pikes. I figure I am likely to damage the others when using them so I thought I would try replacing the pikes with metal rods. Does anyone have any advice on this? Where to get some suitable thickness rods and the material. Any tips on actually doing it and also attaching the ends of the pikes. I have enough that I could afford a few failures.

2. I have 2 Isengard trolls. I have seen some great pictures online of other people's models but I would like to try a much darker skin. Something in keeping with the Uruk Hai. My first attempt looks like a Chocolate Easter Troll. Does anyone have any ideas? Are there any pictures of trolls with a darker skin I haven't found?
Also, both of the trolls are from ebay and one of them has the hammer which I associate more with Mordor. If I buy a new one are there enough bits in the box to give this one a new more Isengard weapon?

3. I have a shaman - the one holding a skull, but he is missing his right arm. I am looking for an idea of what to replace it with. I have quite a lot of spare plastics kicking about.

All ideas gratefully received.
 Post subject: Re: Isengard questions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:16 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In the box you have a lance and a sword for Isengard. I don't like the sword though...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hi there. Idk your skill level/comfort with painting techniques but I'd recommend a dark brown/red combo as the base color of their skin followed by successive highlights of more and more red.

So if you have GW's paints try a base of Doombull Brown, followed by a mix of 1:1 Doombull to Blood-red, and progressive more red in each mix til you have brought the tone to what you want it to be.

If you don't us GW paints get a strong fire-engine red, and a strong mid-dark tone brown and start with a 2:1 Brown to red base then progress from there

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:01 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

1. Any hobby store should have thin rods for you to use. Use a pin vice to drill holes through the hands for you to attach the new pike. You can cut the head from the old pike and attach it to the new 'pole'
2. Try using a reddish brown, dark flesh was the old GW colour for Uruks. Using brown and black washes for shade and either a red or bleached bone for mixing in the highlights.
3. leave the arm missing / or use green stuff to sculpt a stump. You could adorn the end of the stump with cloth similar to the look of his clothing.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the comments.
I like the idea of a stump with a rag wrapped around it. I will try out the brown/red painting for the troll flesh and the pikes when I get time. Not sure if it is worth getting another troll for the weapon.