All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Post subject: Un-supergluing models
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Basically like a lot of you I've got a lot of broken and lost horses.

Some of these are Knights of Minas Tirith. I've got 5 Metal Knights of Minas Tirith, 1 Metal Banner Bearer, and Mounted Faramir.

However 4 Knights and Faramir and unmounted and without horse. I'd like to take the sole mounted Knight off of a horse to give Faramir a horse, but he's stuck clean on, and I dont want to damage oen of my 2 good horses.

Any tips for getting him off without any damage?
 Post subject: Re: Un-supergluing models
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I know soaking them in Nail Varnish remover will dissolve superglue very well.

It goes without saying that this will also strip the paint off if that's an issue for you.

My final warning would be that I've only ever used Nail Varnish remover to strip metal models so I'm not sure what effect it'll have on the plastic horses. I think it should be ok though.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nail Polish Remover will probably damage your plastic horses ... Usually the super glue doesn't stick or stay for me on metal or plastic guys when I strip them with Superclean. It's a degreaser that comes in a big purple jug and I haven't harmed a plastic miniature yet but I usually don't let them sit for more than 24 hours.

I'm not sure if this will remove the superglue but you could also try Pinesol. But again this might damage the plastic horses if you let it sit for too long in the substance.

I've used all three of these solutions to strip paint off miniatures though, and I usually deal with metal. Although when I have to take paint off plastics I go with Superclean because I've had the most luck with not damaging the plastic and even though I haven't used it in a long time, I seem to remember I had a mini superglued that completely fell apart on me when I removed the paint on him with this stuff.

I hope this helps! Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You should try leaving your models in the freezer among your icecubes overnight. Generally superglue does not react well with low temperatures.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Are you UK based? If so use fairy power spray, accept no substitutes (I think the US equivalent is something called 'simple green').

This will both strip the paint of metal models and undo any superglue without damaging anything.

Also if you're trying to remove a metal model from a plastic horse there is a technique though it can take a couple of go's to get right. Grip the rider's legs on each side with your thumb and fore finger. Grip the horse firmly in the other hand directly below the legs.
Do not pull but gently wiggle the rider carefully applying more force as necessary. You can usually loosen the bonds enough to take the rider off without breaking the horse.