All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:42 pm

Post subject: Building a collection
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:09 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey all, recently I bought a good sized collection of Fellowship of The Ring-era models, all in their green packaging and the whole bit. Surprisingly, the nostalgia kicked me right in the gut - these were the minis that first captured my interest as I walked past the old GW in my local mall all those years ago. Even though at the time I never cared much about certain models or characters, now I find myself strongly identifying with them.

So, I've decided that I want to collect and paint all of the Fellowship minis and have them as a collection. Only trouble is, because I was so young at the time (15) and didn't have a WD subscription I'm not sure exactly what came out for that film. For example, I know the Isildur on foot is that age but his mounted model came out years afterward. With the help of the pack-in pamphlet that came with many of the boxed sets, I have compiled a small list of what was available. I know it's not 100% complete or accurate though, and any assistance would be most welcome.

-The Lord of The Rings Strategy Battle Game: Came with 2 sprues each of Warriors of the Last Alliance and Moria Goblins, as well as a copy of the rulebook and a ruined building.

-Fellowship of The Ring rulebook: Came with 2 covers; one with the same green graphic as the boxes and blisters and another (later version?) with a mounted Nazgul on the box.

-Warriors of Middle-earth: Plastic boxed set containing a sprue each of Warriors of the Last Alliance and Moria Goblins.

-Warriors of the Last Alliance: Plastic boxed set with 2 sprues of 8 High Elves and 4 Numenoreans (then Men of Gondor) each; one sprue came in the "Warriors of Middle-earth" set and two came in the starter box.

-Moria Goblins: Plastic boxed set with 2 sprues of Goblins. The same sprue came in the "Warriors of Middle-earth" set and two came in the starter box.

-The Fellowship of The Ring: Boxed set of 9 metal miniatures: Gandalf, Aragorn, Frodo Baggins, Samwise Gamgee, Boromir of Gondor, Legolas, Gimli, Pippin Took and Merry Brandybuck.

-Attack at Weathertop: Boxed set of 10 metal miniatures: Aragorn (with torch), Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, The Witch King and 4 Ringwraiths.

-Escape from Orthanc: Boxed set of 3 metal miniatures: Gandalf, Saruman and Gwahir, along with a palantir on a plinth.

-Battle at Khazad-dum: Boxed set containing metal miniatures of Gandalf and the Balrog. (Note: The earliest sets had a Balrog complete with metal wings; later releases replaced these with plastic due to weight concerns.)

-Ambush at Amon-Hen: Boxed set of 10 metal miniatures: Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Dying Boromir, Lurtz (firing bow), 3 Uruk-hai Scouts, Uruk-hai carrying Merry and Uruk-hai carrying Pippin.

-Dark Lord Sauron: Boxed set of 3 metal miniatures: Sauron and prone Isildur and Elendil.

-Elrond: Metal blister containing 1 miniature.

-Gil-Galad: Metal blister containing 1 miniature.

-Isildur: Metal blister containing 1 miniature.

-Elendil: Metal blister containing 1 miniature.

-Saruman: Metal blister containing 1 miniature. Note, this is a different miniature than the one included in the Escape from Orthanc set.

-Lurtz: Metal blister containing 1 miniature. Note, this is a different miniature than the one included in the Ambush at Amon-Hen set.

-Arwen: Metal blister containing 1 miniature.

-Galadriel: Metal blister containing 2 miniatures: Galadriel and her mirror.

-Celeborn: Metal blister containing 1 miniature.

-Haldir: Metal blister containing 1 miniature.

-Kings of Men: Metal blister containing 2 miniatures. 4 different poses available.

-Dwarf Kings: Metal blister containing 2 miniatures. 4 different poses available.

-High Elf Spearmen: Metal blister containing 3 miniatures. 4 different poses available.

-Men of Gondor Spearmen: Metal blister containing 3 miniatures. 4 different poses available.

-Men of Gondor Archers: Metal blister containing 3 miniatures. 4 different poses available.

-Orc Warriors: Metal blister containing 3 miniatures. 16(?) different poses available.

-Orc Bowmen: Metal blister containing 3 miniatures. 6(?) different poses available.

-Moria Goblin Warriors : Metal blister containing 4 miniatures. 4 different poses available.

-Moria Golbin Bowmen: Metal blister containing 4 miniatures. 4 different poses available.

-Uruk-hai Warriors: Metal blister containing 3 miniatures. 4 different poses available.

-Uruk-hai Bowmen: Metal blister containing 3 miniatures. 4 different poses available.

-Ringwraith: Metal blister containing 1 miniature. 4 different poses available.

-Mounted Ringwraith: Metal blister containing 1 miniature. 3 different poses available.

-Twilight Ringwraith: Metal blister containing 1 miniature. 4 different poses available.

-Boromir on Horseback: Metal blister containing 1 miniature.

-Lorien Elf Bowmen: Metal blister containing 3 miniatures. 4 different poses available.

-Cave Troll: Metal blister containing 1 large miniature. 2 different poses (hammer or spear) available.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject: Re: Building a collection
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:25 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

There was also the 9 wraiths in one pack together. And an unarmored Haldir with Elven blade

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

JamesR wrote:
There was also the 9 wraiths in one pack together. And an unarmored Haldir with Elven blade

I'm pretty sure that 9 pack came out for the Fellowship Journey Book around 2005. I think there were only the 4 generic Wraith poses and the Witch King. I could be wrong though...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:07 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I believe i got it for Christmas the year of the two towers starter came out but it had already been out for a bit before I got it. Its been so long lol but it came out before the ROTK starter and the box was green as far as Ican remember

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Damn, so maybe you're right. I'll take a flip through some of the old books I have and see how many I can spy. I thought one of the unarmoured Haldirs was really rare? I don't remember which though...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:29 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'm fairly certain that Lord Hurin's right about the Ringwraiths. I've been collecting since the TTT boxed set. I remember when they came out with the full 9 box and passed on it because I already had the other 4 + WK from the Weathertop set.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:35 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

To be honest I'm probably wrong then lol. I was in the 6th grade at this time. I just thought they came out earlier than that

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I was under the impression Celeborn, Galadriel and her mirror were all in one blister pack. I think mounted Boromir was later, and I think Arwen on horseback (carrying Frodo) was one of the early ones.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

http://www.lotr-collector.co.uk/legions ... e_list.htm

8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I couldn't find the 9 ring wraith set on this site. But I've bookmarked it! Lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yeah the 9 Ringwraith set (in metal) came out to support the Fellowship Journey Book around 2005/6. I remember one of the big selling points of it was that "finally" you could have 9 different Ringwraith poses.

Good luck with the quest Lord Hurin, I love all the Fellowship stuff, it's my favourite book/film and the Journey book scenarios are fantastic - just can't get enough of Amon Hen! :-)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

According to the Middle-earth thesaurus, a 'collection' is another word for a 'backlog'.
Good luck with it!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:
Yeah the 9 Ringwraith set (in metal) came out to support the Fellowship Journey Book around 2005/6. I remember one of the big selling points of it was that "finally" you could have 9 different Ringwraith poses.

Good luck with the quest Lord Hurin, I love all the Fellowship stuff, it's my favourite book/film and the Journey book scenarios are fantastic - just can't get enough of Amon Hen! :-)

Ok, so I wasn't just going crazy then? Good stuff! :lol: I'm actually glad about not having to collect 4 more Nazgul sculpts; between the named ones, mounted ones, Witch King, etc I would be up to around 15 or 20 different minis just for Ringwraiths of various description!

I really need the Fellowship and Return of the King Journey Books. The Two Towers one was great fun to play through! I remember reading the Moria and Amon-Hen battle reports in the first "Best of White Dwarf" compilation and just being spellbound. This was a year or more before I played a game.

Dorthonion wrote:
According to the Middle-earth thesaurus, a 'collection' is another word for a 'backlog'.
Good luck with it!

Heh, as though I didn't have enough to do in the first place! My poor Easterlings and Haradrim will be crying blue bloody murder at me! Neglected yet again! Sorry boys, grey it is again for you lot :shock: