All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:22 pm

Post subject: Recasting a Finecast Miniature in Metal?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello everyone

I've had this thought for a while but I've heard of people who recast miniatures and parts (no doubt illegal but people do whatever they want to their miniatures) and was wondering whether anyone has tried to recast a Finecast miniature into metal, like a metal Bolg or Azog or anything. I won't be doing this experiment myself but if anyone has attempted it I would like to see the end result (I really want to see a metal figure from the Hobbit range).
 Post subject: Re: Recasting a Finecast Miniature in Metal?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It would be highly illegal, as you've pointed out, to sell such a thing. Making one for personal edification or use would be a little greyer. Either way, posting it up on here would doubtlessly be frowned upon by Games Workshop and may bring their unwanted attention to the site...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As you mentioned, it is illegal (copyright and all, in the most literal meaning of the word), and even more illegal to sell a metal (re)cast.

Also, I don't really see the point. Sure, some people like the extra weight of a metal model, but certainly the details won't improve, in fact, they will most likely deteriorate as you make another mould and cast and this will always result in some loss of detail.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I never mentioned or hinted selling anything. I just said I would like to see the end result. As for GW they aren't really in a position to tell people what they can and can't do with their stuff. Of course when you buy them you kind of agree to use them as intended but what goes on behind closed doors they can't control. I also don't understand why you don't want attention from GW? Wouldn't it be better if they saw that people actually do care about their LOTR/Hobbit ranges instead of pretending a community didn't exist?

Back to the matter. I am curious to see how it would look.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

GW come down hard on anyone they so much as suspect of impinging on their licenses. If they saw on the site Bolg or Beorn home-cast in metal then they would immediately start giving the admins a hard time. I'd guarantee it.

As far as seeing it done, I'd love to see metal versions made out of the master molds. That seems like just a pipe dream now, though :(

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lord Hurin wrote:
GW come down hard on anyone they so much as suspect of impinging on their licenses. If they saw on the site Bolg or Beorn home-cast in metal then they would immediately start giving the admins a hard time. I'd guarantee it.

As far as seeing it done, I'd love to see metal versions made out of the master molds. That seems like just a pipe dream now, though :(

Valid point and no, I don't think GW ever would, that's why I was asking the community.