All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:07 pm

Post subject: Stripping with Dettol
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I have recently stripped a load of plastic and metal miniatures with Dettol. This has worked fantastically but I'm wondering if any Dettol residue would cause difficulty with painting?
I did give them a rinse with washing up liquid after but the still seem to have a small amount of Dettol residue on them. They certainly smell like it anyway!

Any knowledge on this situation would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Stripping with Dettol
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would suggest putting it straight into warm water once you are finished stripping each model individually, there shouldn't be any residue left over after this. Try not to get your hands wet.

The ones which I left to dry for a few days had no issue being painted over, but I did give them another soak for a bit (this was the very first batch I did and didn't soak).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The title of this thread sounds a bit like Peter Stringfellow could be a hobbyist!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oddly enough, only last week I was stripping some miniatures, and having watched eight or nine videos all with differing techniques I experimented with my own which seemed to work nicely.

Basically, mix a solution of about 80% Dettol to 20% water in a container with a lid, using just enough solution to cover the amount of miniatures you wish to strip. I used the very, very cheap Dettol anti-bacterial spray, the sort used for cleaning kitchen surfaces, rather than the strong brown stuff that I see a lot of people using. Now leave this for about 48 hours, shaking gently but thoroughly just before you go to bed, or wake up, whenever really. After the first 12 hours you will see the water turning cloudy, I woke up after 24 to see the solution had turned completely black.

Once 48 hours has passed, use an old toothbrush with soft bristles to scrape away the paint. The reason I say soft bristles is because I used one with quite coarse bristles, and when I assessed the miniature I noticed slight scratches on the surface. You can get a miniature looking like its never been painted within about 2 minutes of brushing.

Then place the clean models in a warm soapy solution, leave for about a minutes and then dry them one-by-one, I find a hairdryer is perfect.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I actually use watered down paint stripper on the metal models, while it is much more expensive than dettol around £6 a bottle, it lasts ages and the results are fantastic. I find letting the stripper soak into the models for an hour or two then cleaning with a toothbrush has them looking almost like new. I know people think it can compromise the details however on models which have been painted over lots of times, stripping with something stronger than dettol is sometimes necessary. I do not use it on plastic models however
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

24-48 hours to strip a mini? that's awfully long and the goo/residue using dettol I find horrible...

Nail varnish remover is quicker (and less nasty than paint/varnish stripper too, for metals, - I have used this stuff... and needed gloves and old clothes)

Use NON-Acetone nail varnish remover, in a small tub to strip plastics and finecast and metals.

(metals you can use acetone or non-acetone).

It's less than £1.50 a small bottle in Superdrug or similar High street store. and takes about 20 mins before you can apply the toothbrush to scrub by the sink with a little water to clean the toothbrush. For a particularly stubborn area or caked paintjob, pop in again for 20 mins.

Fairy power spray and a toothbrush also is good, for metals or plastics/resin but the non-acetone varnish remover is cheaper and more effective i think.

Taking the War in Middle earth to a new level!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

[quote="daersalon"]24-48 hours to strip a mini? that's awfully long

Could not agree More, The most I am prepared to wait is overnight. However patience is a virtue.