All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:06 pm

Post subject: finecast troops?!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hi all, i am a collector, not a gamer, but this question is for gamers and/or collectors.

do you have finecast troops? it seems to me like a dumb (or calculated) move on GW's part to make very expensive soldiers, like the lake town guard. i'd rather get the dale warriors as an alternative.

the gundabad orcs are being done in finecast too. i got some of 'em, but not from GW directly. i can find better deals elsewhere.

(then again GW management isn't that smart, what with isolating potential customers, but that's another topic)

Last edited by Moj on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: finecast troops?!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I do have finecast troops. However mine are currently limited to more of elites than standard infantry. Vault Wardens and Iron Guard are currently the only troops I have. I will be purchasing Gundabad Orcs too. I hate the price point but as I've said before (when news first broke months ago) that I've been in this game from the beginning, I remember when most troops were metals only so this doesn't bother me too much

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

yes, well metal was still cheaper than finecast. here in NZ (and in aus, i believe) the prices are just ridiculous.

a standard hero, like say thranduil, costs NZ$40.
in the US GW site, he is $20
US$20 = NZ$23.32.
US34.30 = NZ$40.

so you see, for me it is just stupid expensive. it's almost enough to make me quit the hobby, if not for ebay deals.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Fine Cast troops?
None. No longer collect new Games Workshop figures.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've got Erkenbrand.
That's my only finecast model so far.

It has an amazing amount of detail but also a lot of flash.
I wouldn't say it's worth its 29 euros but I really wanted to have it.

I will buy other finecast heroes if they're not available in metal, though I think I won't buy regular finecast troops for now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm also frustrated by the existence of "Fine"cast troops. Iron Guard or Uruk Berserkers are one thing, since they're expensive elite models that you don't need too many of. On the other hand, Gundabad Orcs are essentially Morannons and Laketown Guard are cheaper points-wise than Warriors of Rohan. These are minis that would make up a great portion of their respective armies, so being so costly is off putting.

Personally though, I'm just not a fan at all of "Fine"cast. I find the material difficult to work with and brittle. Spears are always a major concern.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lord Hurin wrote:
I'm also frustrated by the existence of "Fine"cast troops. Iron Guard or Uruk Berserkers are one thing, since they're expensive elite models that you don't need too many of. On the other hand, Gundabad Orcs are essentially Morannons and Laketown Guard are cheaper points-wise than Warriors of Rohan. These are minis that would make up a great portion of their respective armies, so being so costly is off putting.

that's what i mean. i'm okay with a few heroes here and there, but foot soldiers as finecast? nope. although i did get a few Gundabads, you could pass them off as orc generals because of their height. not interested in the lake town guard though. (and i don't like the design, though that's not a GW issue)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Finecast troops are supposed to be a replacement for metal troops which were done back in the day. It isn't really necessary, or helpful for GW to be releasing basic troops as finecast, just like it wasn't the best to have them in metal originally. Plastic is a much better quality and cost effective product and metal has better durability than resin, even if it has a little less detail, which is exactly what you want for basic troops. I can understand elites being finecast, as you would want them to look that little bit more special.

The original range of metals didn't sell as well as plastics because of their cost per model, and that will always be the case for as long as GW makes things in finecast. However, you either get the models, or you don't - there isn't a choice of materials here and I doubt there will be so most people I know are just getting 1 blister of each and that's it.

Yes, it was a big surprise that GW released Lake Town in finecast given their basic profiles and standard uniforms, but otherwise things are the same as they were when we had metal troops (only prices have gone up across the board).

As an Australian who suffers from the extra price hike, purchasing direct from GW for finecast, non elite troops is not a cost effective strategy for me. They would sell more across the world if the troops were not finecast, even more so in AU/NZ, but in this is the strategy they are going with for the time being, so they will miss out on a certain amount of sales as a result.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well with the way things are, I will scour ebay for finecast minis instead of buying directly from gw.

a hundred years is a mere blink in the life of an elf!
I am patient. I can wait.