All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:37 pm

Post subject: Making a kitbash advice please
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm going to make a Talion from Shadows over mordor when I return from training in three-ish weeks. I would like some advice. So far I plan to use the numenorian specter from the angmar specter set, with a head taken from someone... That is where I am stuck. I was originally going to use a gorn head, but, c'mon, it's gorn. We all recognize gorn. Now I'm thinking either a head taken from a corsair or ranger faramir or something. Any advice? Whose head would be a good match for him?

For those who don't know, talion is a ranger who is possessed by the spirit of a long dead wraith. The two are trying to break the curse that binds them.
 Post subject: Re: Making a kitbash advice please
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:07 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well he looks exactly like aragorn anyway, so he's still an option, otherwise I would suggest ranger faramir and damrod - both are common enough to get hold of.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah, almost the entire concept is stolen from Aragorn, Ranger, Gondor guy, Stabbed by a wraith so becoming a wraith (LOTR third age did that too, not very original). I would just use Aragorn.

Since I hate the concept of the game but love the idea of the game play being like Batman Arkum, I would really like to see some of those orcs done. The artwork and design on many of those creatures is pretty cool (even if way off the mark on Tolkien).

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I can see why he is accused of looking like gorn. Personally I think he looks like hawke from dragon age 2. I'd really like to steer away from using gorn. The only other guys i am considering for a head swap is ranger faramir, middle earth ranger, or corsair. Am I missing any hoodless heads?

Ps thanks for the input
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You could look outside the GW range. Also check the Guardians of the shire as some don't have hoods. The Kili model would work but you would have to shave the hood back and sculpt hair which is pretty easy.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd like to keep it in the gw range. For consistancy sake. If I decide to go with a gorn mini, what would you recommend for making him look as unaragorn as possible. My initial thoughts are black hair, as opposes to brown, and a full beard as opposed to a gotee. Any other suggestions?
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I could see some of the corsair heads working quite well. My thoughts to make him look more different are the broken sword he uses as a knife, and glowy blue eyes to make him look like he's using his wraith powers.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmm... If you can get hold a spare Uruk head and this Aragorn miniature =
http://www.amazon.co.uk/games-workshop- ... B000CQWYBU

You could easily create something similar to this =
http://d1vr6n66ssr06c.cloudfront.net/wp ... 4-Game.jpg

A small amount of green-stuff and sculpting on the arms would give you the Numenorian-style pauldrons. Failing that, GW's Isildur has the perfect arms for the job, except I am not sure how they work on his sprue, if they're separate to the torso then that would be a wise move, if not, just sculpt your own. Also, some well-painted glow effects would suit the eyes, sword and wraith-like hand that holds the decapitated Uruk.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:42 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I was looking at the same gorn. He would make a good choice. I am also looking at the prone isildur from the sauron set since he has a busted sword. I could always sculpt a busted sword too.

Thanks for the advice. It is going to be another 3 weeks before I can start this project, so if anyone has more ideas, please let me know!
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:41 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

jdizzy001 wrote:
I am also looking at the prone isildur from the sauron set since he has a busted sword. I could always sculpt a busted sword too.

It would be cheaper to clip the end off Aragorn's sword. The cheapest I've seen a prone Isildur is a little under £10, which is a lot for a broken sword. The armour of that particular version would be awkward to extract too, if you were thinking of combining him with the Aragorn miniature the standing pose would be better.