All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:43 am

Post subject: Reconciling the Balin profiles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hey all, I've been thinking on the Balin profiles and how different they are. The Free Peoples profile is better overall, but I do like the Hobbit aesthetic more. What are people's views on which Balin is better? I was thinking of maybe doing a conversion giving one of the armoured Hobbit Balins Durin's Axe and counting it as the older profile. Young Balin would be cheaper, but the newest one would make the most sense.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject: Re: Reconciling the Balin profiles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you want a fighter, Free Peoples Balin is the way to go. More Attacks, better Fight and Strength, and an extra Might Point to boot. On the other hand, Hobbit Balin's priority ability can be huge; used at the right time, for example when Priority is tied and would revert back to the enemy, it's equivalent to calling a Heroic Move across the entire army in function, and there are few better uses of Will points in the game.

I do like your conversion idea, that Balin with Durin's Axe would look very cool. and could feasilby be used as both versions of Balin depending on the list you are building each time.

Post subject: Re: Reconciling the Balin profiles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Its idiotic the order in which they did it.

The new Balin is so fragile, but has a nice special rule. Hes absolutely a support model or cheap warband leader.
The old one, is the one that they should have made for Thorins company but I guess they wanted to make him weaker so he doesnt over shadow the other dwarves.

Either way, they are both good profiles though in their own respect. I cant compare them, but they are definitely both useful compared to a Theoden for example.

The new Balin is good in a support roll leading a warband with Thorin and Dwalin.
The old one is a good second rank hero in an army or even the leader of one. Totally different styles and uses. I mean, the older is twice the points especially with the axe, which should always be taken.

Ive used the new one several times, but not the old one. Only reason being is I like making new Dwarf armies and not old ones so much. Not because theyre not good, but because people want Durins folk a lot in sales or trades so I keep getting rid of it lol.

My dream though would be to make an army with Thorin, Dwalin, and the old Balin.

Or maybe Dwalin, Dain, and Balin at like 750. Tough mudders there.