All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:12 pm

Post subject: GD's New White Council review + assembly
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The second in my series of reviews.
Elrond's Sword was missing so I won't be reviewing him yet.

Here we have Galadriel, she needed a lot of work cutting away pieces of finecast attached to her dress, it was annoying and I accidently hacked into some of the dress but all in all a great mini. Her legs are not as chunky as the games workshop pictures show. With a decent paintjob and proper colour selection she could be a real centrepiece for a diorama.

Now for Saruman, it promised a lot by the pictures but was a pretty disappointing mini in terms of putting together, it was the toughest job I've had assembling a mini so far, right up there with Laketown Spearmen. While running his staff under hot water to reshape it the top part and bottom part beneath his hand both fell off, his right arm was also out of shape for the glue mould and couldn't be reshaped.

This kit is definitely a more advanced one with an unnecessary amount of different parts, it would've been much easier if it had less parts. The missing sword and wonky Saruman has let me disenchanted with this kit however the figures do look cool and hopefully once I reshape Sarumans staff and paint them up I will look upon them more happily.

Galadriel:

Assembly - 6/10
Quality - 7/10
Looks - 8.5/10

Score - 72%

Saruman:

Assembly - 2/10
Quality - 4/10
Looks - 7/10

Score - 43%

Post subject: Re: GD's New White Council review + assembly
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Good review
and i really agree with u, they were a challenge to put together.
i have never struggled so much getting the bits together, esp on Saruman and Elrond, who still has a wide gap...in order for the hands to line up..

once assembled and gapfilled and painted, they are stunning modells..but a real challenge to put together
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think the figures are real nice and better than the pictures GW has given us on them.
But assembling was a pain and to many unnecessary small parts. Which resulted in Galadriel's hand falling off my working space and me spending more than half an hour searching to get it back.
This near disaster included it took me over three hours to get them the together, a long break to let parts dry and my frustration calm down not included.

I found Elrond the hardest to assemble, Galadriel should be the easiest.
So if you think Saruman was the most difficult figure to assemble, be prepared to have him replaced :wink:

I have to agree on the poor quality of Saruman, when assembling him, his beard didn't just broke off, it rather fell off. Same happend just now with the end part of his staff when I gave the mini anther inspection.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

First of all, congrats for the thorough review.
Conserning the complexity of this kit, I wouldn't say that there are too many unnecessary small parts. I believe that these models were designed and sculpted with them being plastic in mind. Thus the large part count.
They just decided afterwards to make them in finecast, in order to reduce the cost of the mould production.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

No doubt that these are great looking models but a tremendous pain to assemble. I had numerous gaps to fill on both elrond and saruman. Probably the worst models assembly- wise given the size of these figs. They look great though.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I picked up the set today as well and I agree it's a nightmare to assemble, I'm gonna have to green stuff quite a few gaps :( Also, Elronds sword is way too small, I've actally cut it off and replaced the blade with the one from the AUJ foot & mounted Elrond, it's a much better size !
Despite all the pain assembling the kit the models themselves are gorgeous :) Can't wait to get them painted!