All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:07 pm

Post subject: Best tool for cutting metal.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Im trying to stay with a low budget thing here.

Basically whats a nice tool to say for example, cut some metal heads off or reposition or convert some Khazad Guard?

Any ideas guys?

Im going to make a purchase from Element games soon, and any suggestions except for Games Workshop products are fine with me. Thanks.

And tips on cutting metal would help as well!

Post subject: Re: Best tool for cutting metal.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I use a "bone" saw.

http://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=348&art_id=2872

Jewelers saws and generally any hobby saw will be helpful. Depending on how thick the metal is, one could also use clippers, but with clippers anything thicker than a weapon is too thick.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I hightly recomend a jewellers ''saw frame'' with wire attached. I am not very sure how else it is called on other countries. I have been using it for a long time now and it is really flexible when coming to miniatures and it is the only tool where you can ''twist'' the direction ot the cutting or start the cutting on places where a saw blade cannot reach (for example start cutting for a head when the miniature has its arms in the air without damaging the hands). There are plenty of tips i could give on how to use it if you wish.

Now for cutting white metal there is not something special to know, just try to do as smooth job as possible without haste |(depending on the tool you are usuing

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I use an angle grinder with cutting discs, I am fairly heavy handed though

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I love the jewelers saw for converting, as mentioned it allows you to cut around things. Because the blade is so thin though, it can snag and break on metal... so though it is the best tool for converting, if you are making straight cuts then it is not the best tool for cutting metal.

If you can get away with it, and exacto saw or even a metal cutting hacksaw blade would cut way better. Also as mentioned, a pair of gate cutters will hack through most bits if you are not worried about the finish (if you plan to sculpt over the area removed).

A cutting wheel can take some getting used too as well, and at high rpms, a small mistake in direction can cause a big mistake on a model.

To keep the tool chest low (I have all the above mentioned items on hand at my hobby desk) I would stick to a jewelers saw, it is my go to for all converting and with practice you break less blades. And exacto saw would be a cheap easy to find second choice, they sell them at almost every craft store, and even citadel has one.