All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:57 am

Post subject: Looking to create a Gondor/Arnor army
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey all,

Im looking to create a Gondor/Arnor army. I am looking for altenative figures to create this army. I was thinking of chain mailed normans. Anyone know any plastic boxsets of normans where the majority is chain mailed?
 Post subject: Re: Looking to create a Gondor/Arnor army
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok, so I was thinking of using Conquest Games plastic normans box and sculpting chainmail on the lower arms so it looks like the troops are wearing a shirt over their chainmail. I was also thinking of removing the shields and replacing them with these http://www.aventineminiatures.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/53_23/products_id/45 and filing down the middle bit. As I am planning on doing at least 2 factions, Gondor and Arnor I would paint them Black for Gondor and Green for Arnor and then painting their house symbol on the shields too. I may even sculpt a headband around the forehead of the helm for the Arnor faction.
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey danny5,

really nice army idea! Please show us the result.

In my opinion are the plastic normans not detailed enough ... but if you like them. Its your decision ;)
I would recommend the metal normans/Crusaders from Perry miniatures! They look fantastic but are a bit difficult to convert ....

The scutum shields would be a nice addition and good alternative to the usual shields :)

Greetings
Advario

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was looking into Teutonic Knights on foot by FireForge as they are chainmailed but with a robe vest thing over the body to cover most of the chainmail and have the metal shinguards. Some of the heads come with pointy helms on so these could be used as Gondor/Arnor and some come with the crest on the helm like the citadel guards, the other helms which are more fantasy with large spikes I was thinking of filing these bits off and using them as Black Numenoreans like this article here - https://shadowsoverarda.wordpress.com/category/project-logs/black-numenoreans/ They also come with capes already so that is a bonus and you can pick up 24 for £20. As for the shields I think the Scutum would be too large so I was going to try and sculpt the shields myself :-?

Will have to wait a while for progress reports as I am in the process of moving so boxing everything up, also still researching to find the perfect models and colour schemes for the army's