All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:44 pm

Post subject: my absence
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:01 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since my previous post, so I thought I should let you know a few things.
About two and a half weeks ago we got a phonecall that my granmother had been found after she had a stroke.
This stroke had dammaged most of the vital functions of the brain (she could technically no longer speak, think, remember, swallow or move one side of her body).
The next day she woke up from the coma and she had the chance to say goodbye but this only lasted till the evening, after that she returned into coma.
A week later, she died.
Last Wednesday, the day before the funeral, we got another phonecall, this time it was my because of my grandfather whom has a very aggresive form of dementia (is that the correct word)
After he heard his wife had died, his dementia started to get worse and he his body was kind of giving up because there was nothing to live for.
He could no long swallow, speak (he made sounds but not words, except for a few words of english), or understand what was going on.
And because he could no longer swallow, he won't be able to eat or drink and therefore he will pass away somewhere this week.

So I'm not really active here because of this

Post subject: Re: my absence
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That's some bad news u have there. Don't know the english word for it but since u are dutch i say " enige deelneming".
I don't have much words for things like this. But i hope u will get trough it. It's never fun to lose someone.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I will most definitely pray for you and your family.

I have just one thing to say, it's from a quote from the movie that this awesome site is founded.

"Do not grieve for those whose time has come. You shall live to see better days."

I have also gone through this experience, where my grandmother died from cancer. Know this, you are not alone in these things.

The most important thing is to worship your family and spend as much time with them as possible, because we are mortal and one day everyone has to die. So live your life as best as you can and I guarantee you shall be happy.

feanorthenoldor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks it means a lot to me.

@ feanor That's exactly the way I live and I'm glad that I have had so much time with my grandparents.

While I write this we're making the last preperations for my grandfather's funeral.
He has passed away last sunday and the funeral will be held tommorow.

But it is good this way because you don't wish anyone to live longer like that.
And there are many good memories to remember.

So, christmas won't be cancelled here, it will just be different without them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: On some battle field with 6,000 riders behind me yelling....DEATH!!!
You will defiantly be in my prayers. I know whats it like to loose loved ones too ( my grandparents on my moms side died last year ). Hey, maybe the hobby will take your mind away from things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I am grieved to hear this news, and I know these things can have such a hold on people. It's always difficult, and there is no easy way past it at first. When my grandmother died I was so struck, and there is never anything wrong with a cry. These things do pass with time, but you'll never forget them - and the happy memories always come through. You will come through this, and I hope you will enjoy you christmas and don't let it dampen your spirit. I'll pray for you, and I hope things come around. Take everything in your own time, and I hope to see you around the hobby soon. It's been quiet recently, and would be great to have you back.

On a side note, I do hope you bring out that fantastic Osgiliath board and finish it off. I'm always inspiried by it.

Drum