All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:52 pm

Post subject: At last, I joined =)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi!

I was reading through this forum already since December 2020 but only now decided to finally join this forum, which is also my first forum since 2004 xD

I watched the first LOTR movie when it reached the cinema and was instantly hooked. Before the other movies released, i read through all the available books and came to love both worlds (movie, books).

By coincidence at the same time i came into contact with with first version of MESBG at a fair for modelmaking. I bought the Last Alliance box but at that time was more interested in playing and saw the painting etc more as an obstacle, so I never really used them. A friend of mine had much more money and time at hand and bought an huge Isengart and Rohan army so I was able to take a deep view at the hobby without having to do anything myself. However my friend was a pretty salty player and soon I lost any interest in playing with him. + in my teenage years i had already enough to deal with to be also marked as the nerd who plays tabletop.

Fast forward eight years and through a fellow student at university, i was again infected with the tabletop virus and started playing Warhammer Fantasy with Bretonnia. However i still did not like playing and was heavily shocked by the bad quality of metal miniatures this army had. Losing contact with my university friend, I soon sold my army.

Fast forward now to eleven years later, I funnily enough, came back to tabletop when my girlfriend said she would really like to paint miniatures. I first wanted to go back to Warhammer Fantasy but i found out the system was discontinued and that i really did not like the system and aesthetics of Age of Sigmar. But my girlffriend anyway knew she wanted to have LOTR miniatures. So long story short, I bought the starterset and some paints for christmas as a gift for her. At first i did not really intend to paint and play with them beside when my girlfriend wanted to. But soon i felt really drawn to the game again and asked if I could paint one of her miniatures and I really enjoyed it. And that way the hype got me and I devoured the new rule and army books and decided to get my own miniatures.

I was drawn to Numenor and bought myself some miniatures on the second hand market because I always liked their look and their history - also like to most people, the intro of Fellowship was awesome to me.

I also started scavenging the internet for every blog and forum coverging MESBG, which is how i came here.

So wow that was already a lot but I am looking forward to interesting discussions, feedback and interesting reading ;)

Post subject: Re: At last, I joined =)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Welcome! The game is a lot of fun and the miniatures are fantastic. I'll hope you'll enjoy them as much as the denizens here do.

And your girlfriend sounds like a keeper :)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:22 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Welcome and congrats on your new status as an official “One Ring” member ! Lol

In all seriousness, there’s an absolute treasure trove of hobby knowledge on this site - as you may have already learned if you’ve been lurking for a while before signing up.

And while the site may not have the traffic that it did in years past, I still check in once a day to read new (or unread) posts.

There’s some fantastic painters here that share their work and inspire the rest of us and there’s talented terrain makers as well.

Good to have another new member - enjoy and don’t be shy about posting questions, thoughts, pics or anything hobby and/Middle Earth related !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you very much for the welcome =)

@DaveT: Great to see a fellow Austrian here! =D I am from east Lower Austria not far from Vienna. And yes i will definitely not let her go again ;)

@ja33:
Yes I have read already read through a lot of topics here and it is nice to see that there still is an active community around the hobby, no matter that its smaller nowadays =)
I don't see myself as a good painter (i just enjoy doing it^^) but when i have found the right section here in the forum, i will gladly share my result on my Numenor army! ;)