All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

Post subject: The Fiefdoms army for 500-550 points
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello everyone, after couple of years I would like to start playing LoTR battle game again. I'm thinking about colleting the dol amroth army.
What models are essential for this army ?
I definitely would like to have a squad of mtd swan knights with Imrahil and rangers of gondor as a bow power (here is a question - can I use the plastic Arnor rangers as gondor rangers?)
Thanks for all the suggestions and answers
 Post subject: Re: The Fiefdoms army for 500-550 points
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

They are the same figures, just painted to look different. There were some old metal rangers of Gondor but they have been replaced by the plastic set. As to the rest I'm not too fluent on the fiefdoms. If you want swan knights of course you can have them! In fact, they even hit rather hard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The big problem with doing Fiefdoms is the fact that foot knights of Dol Amroth are no longer available. I have about 10 mounted knights and some men-at-arms, but without foot knights, you really can't do much with it. If you are fine hunted them down online or using proxies go for it!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:12 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I will try to get them from 2nd hand, while in the meantime make conversions from either warriors of Gondor or Numenor, I've seen few examples online and they look pretty good and not hard to make, examples :
example1
example2
example3
So the hardest to get ATM seem to be the heroes: Duinhir, Anbor, Forlong
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Although the plastic kit is indeed supposed to be used as both Rangers of Arnor and Gondor, neither actually feature in the Fiefdom list - however, they also double (triple?) as Blackroot Vale Archers, which are in it.

For the remainder, you will definitely want Imrahil. Great leader and warrior who really allows the rest of the army (Dol Amroth contingent especially) to shine. Have him with 6-8 knights (on horseback) to trample all before you, but keep him near your centre to benefit them. This anvil, for the cavalry's hammer, should ideally have a front line of knights of Dol Amroth (sadly unavailable at the moment), being the only D6 troops. Behind them, good arguments can be made for both the men-at-arms with pikes (benefit from banner effect, can tactically double up with pike support) and axemen (more flexible in use with two-handed axes). Maybe just take some of each. Clansmen aren't fantastic, but a group with Angbor could be nice in larger games. As for heroes, I'd pick Forlong as the second choice after Imrahil; with his three wounds he also makes for a great general in smaller games.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The basic unit that you need in the man-at-arms. The knights, foot or otherwise, are more of a support for the pikes. The same is true for the troops from the other fiefs. My two-sense is for you to shoot for 24 men-at-arms, giving you two warbands worth, and probably no more than 12 of each of the other troop types. In larger games allying with Gondor is going to be of more use than running solo. Building a Gondor army, with an emphasis on basic infantry, alongside the fiefs will let you compensate for the lack of foot knights and for the higher cost of the fiefdom units both in game and in store.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm starting up a Fiefdoms army too and been reading advice and playing with list builds. I won't have optimal numbers when my models arrive, but from what I'll be getting I should be able to do:

Forlong
6 foot knights
5 axemen of lossarnach
1 clansmen of lamedon

Angbor
6 axemen of lossarnach
6 clansmen of lamedon

Captain of Dol Amroth w/armored horse, lance, shield
12 Black Root Vale Archers

Just shy of 500 points. Not optimal, but that's what I'll have.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:55 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will hunt for the models, probably will take a while and in the meantime planning to get some Osgliath gondor army :D