All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 7:28 pm

Post subject: 800 Points - Angmar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello, I am new to the forums. I was directed here a while ago by a few other Hobbit players from my area for news, rumors, and just general Hobbity goodness, but I never really got around to registering till now. I am here though now to discuss a list I have recently been toying with that I have really been liking. The list is for Moria/Angmar, and draws from both factions. It is as follows:

Warband 1: Angmar:
The Tainted on Horse (Leader)
- 6 Angmar Orcs with Shield
- 6 Angmar Orcs with Spear

Warband 2: Angmar:
Barrow Wight
- 6 Angmar Orcs with Shield
- 5 Angmar Orcs with Spear

Warband 3: Angmar:
Shade
- 12 Spectres

Warband 4: Moria:
Gundabad Blackshield Shaman
- 2 Dwellers in the Dark

I personally like the list. Its strong and can pick its fights, with or without the opponent's consent, and has a lot of counters. I could use the Spectres to pull spear/pike support off, make archers move full so they can't shoot, or get other units closer so I can charge them. And it likes to hero hunt, with the Paralyze/Transfix/Shatter spells, with the Shade to help the orcs win fights, as the army is quite a bit more elite than others of its points value.

The reason I come here though is for advice and comments. I want your ideas on the list, and ways I could possibly change it. You see, the main comments from my fellow local players is that I am not making great use of the Tainted's special ability to limit the effects of Heroic Actions, and should switch to another Ringwraith. Any ideas of who I could use? One suggests the Dwimmerlaik, but I feel I'd fall into the same situation as the Tainted and not make great use of his special ability. Amyways, what are all your thoughts on the rest of the list? Are there any changes I could, or should, make? Do note my local GW is going to have a Hobbit tournament soon, and I am wanting to run this list, or a variant, for the tournament, even knowing it might not preform as well versus Elves and Dwarves due to their high courage.
 Post subject: Re: 800 Points - Angmar
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The first thing i would suggest would be to change your leader to the witch king. At 800 points you are likely to start running into wizards which with the witch kings ability to sap will then break his staff can be useful. also he can take up to three might which is always good in such a low might list. I know he is more points with all the might, fate etc than the tainted but the tainted can't be everywhere so your opponent can still get heroic moves off against your other warbands which makes you unable to get the spells of the barrow wright or the spectres off. Also split your spectres into all the Angmar warbands to get the best use out of them. you may want to have your shaman leading troops to get the best out of fury also I may be wrong but the fury of the blackshield shaman is for goblins not orcs.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Claymore wrote:
The first thing i would suggest would be to change your leader to the witch king. At 800 points you are likely to start running into wizards which with the witch kings ability to sap will then break his staff can be useful. also he can take up to three might which is always good in such a low might list. I know he is more points with all the might, fate etc than the tainted but the tainted can't be everywhere so your opponent can still get heroic moves off against your other warbands which makes you unable to get the spells of the barrow wright or the spectres off. Also split your spectres into all the Angmar warbands to get the best use out of them. you may want to have your shaman leading troops to get the best out of fury also I may be wrong but the fury of the blackshield shaman is for goblins not orcs.

The Blackshield Shaman does not have Fury. It has Tremor and Shatter instead. This shatter ability is also able to break staffs, so it may be an alternative to the Witch King. However, the shaman only has 3 will, and therefore a Wizard will be able to resist the spell unless you sap his will first (which another ringwraith can do).

However, I can see the reasoning with using the witch king since the Gundabad shaman can be easily killed. A wizard will target him immediately especially after you make the first attempt to shatter his staff (which he will resist). I would recommend at least two shamans if you want to reliably combat wizards OR swap out the Tainted for the Witch King for the extra Might and sap will on wizards before you cast Shatter. (then you will have two units that can break their staffs!) Also you can give the Witch King the Morgul Crown and turn him into a combat/Spell casting wraith
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the correction I couldn't remember the blackshield shaman. I still feel the army would benefit from fury more than the 3 will shatter, orcs are low courage and quite easily killed also if more orcs are added to the list the value of fury goes up.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Claymore wrote:
The first thing I would suggest would be to change your leader to the witch king. At 800 points you are likely to start running into wizards which with the witch kings ability to sap will then break his staff can be useful. also he can take up to three might which is always good in such a low might list. I know he is more points with all the might, fate etc than the tainted but the tainted can't be everywhere so your opponent can still get heroic moves off against your other warbands which makes you unable to get the spells of the barrow wright or the spectres off. Also split your spectres into all the Angmar warbands to get the best use out of them. you may want to have your shaman leading troops to get the best out of fury also I may be wrong but the fury of the blackshield shaman is for goblins not orcs.

Yeah, the Blackshield Shaman has Shatter and Tremor, as legion said, so he can go an Shatter a Wizard's Staff of Power. But, yes, he is unrelaible in that matter, which is where the Ringwraith comes in to Sap Will, by either getting the spell off, or forcing my opponent to resist it. As for splitting the Spectres, its unnecessary with how the army is deployed, as a Phalanx that is. The Orcs go in front, forming a shield/spear wall, with the Dwellers on one of the flanks. The Spectres then go behind, as with all the characters, in order to hide them from shooting and magic (except for the Ringwraith, who still goes behind but isn't so well hidden because of his horse.) The Spectres move up to combat later if need be, but they aren't in the thick of the fight to begin with.

legion wrote:
I would recommend at least two shamans if you want to reliably combat wizards OR swap out the Tainted for the Witch King for the extra Might and sap will on wizards before you cast Shatter. (then you will have two units that can break their staffs!) Also you can give the Witch King the Morgul Crown and turn him into a combat/Spell casting wraith

I don't really think I need any combat characters at this point, so the Witch King's only value would be his Staff breaking and his 3 might, which I haven't found my lack of might to be much of a problem. One possible named Ringwriath I was thinking of using was the Undying. The army so far seams to do better with disabling enemy heroes and monsters through magic, and subsequently mobbing or rending them, rather than ripping them apart with some dastardly combat hero. The army works best using the Ringwraith to Sap Will a hero, before disabling with the Barrow Wight's Paralyze of Shaman's Shatter, or snagging them with Transfix next turn. And I have faced other Wizards with this army, none with Staffs of Power, but other Ringwraiths at least, and have developed some good counters, one such being to mob them with their own guys using the Spectres' Fell Lights ability, and making so the Wizard can't move and/or see, and others involving bombarding them with spells in order to run them dry of will, and maybe even getting a spell or two off in the process. Additionally, I plan to see more heroes such as Tauriel, Thranduil, or Azog, as well as Ringwriaths, as opposed to Wizards, as that seams to be the meta of my shop right now. As a pure Wizardry Ringwraith, the Witch King could be valuable, but I don't need any combat characters, which is where much of his value lies. What I am looking for is a Ringwraith that would add something to my force in means of magic, some other way to screw with my opponent, or some sort of force multiplier.

Last edited by Demonforge on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I highly dislike this list. No offense at all I mean....let me explain why.

First off, your model count is pretty low for that many points. Let me explain in a way I generally would.

For 800 points, I could make a Hobbit alliance type of army which Ive fiddled with a lot. Here's what it could look like

New Thranduil on Horse
8 Mirkwood Elves with Glaives
4 with bow

Legolas Greenleaf on horse
12 mirkwood rangers

Thorin Oakenshield with shield on pony
12 warriors Erebor with shield

Alfrid
11 laketown guard with spear
1 laketown guard

Basic 800 points

9 might plus Alfrid, 19 bow shots per round, better shield wall than you can muster, plenty of support even if you move some of them, Elite heroes, 52 models.

So first off......your dwellers, spectres, and spear support will be targeted like crazy before you even get close enough to use most of them.

Not saying Im going to kill a bunch.....but youre going to lose a lot of points. Especially with your dwellers.

In addition your barrow wight has a chance to succeed but I have a lot of will to resist such a spell. Then hes useless after.

Then comes the tainted....yeah you can sap will....but I think hes one of the most useless wraiths. Youre much better off with the Witch King.

Finally the shade....hes a HUGE points sink for you. In order to use him well you need a lot of troops and such or high fight value troops to make him worth the points. If youre going to go up against elves and dwarves you better damn sure have a lot of attacks coming in and you dont.

In general also, with the shades, my force has high courage besides the men of lake town but if you wanna waste time with them, I say feel free. I wouldnt be too worried about it.

And uh....the blackshield shaman Ive used twice and hes done nothing for me. He either misses or if hes trying to hurt great heroes gets resisted.

Those are just some noted to think about. Im not saying you can win, especially if you play like Gondor or some other evil force or something of the sort. But if you play the wrong force things will go wrong VERY quickly with an army like yours.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

First off, your model count is pretty low for that many points. Let me explain in a way I generally would.

So first off......your dwellers, spectres, and spear support will be targeted like crazy before you even get close enough to use most of them.

Not saying Im going to kill a bunch.....but youre going to lose a lot of points. Especially with your dwellers.

In addition your barrow wight has a chance to succeed but I have a lot of will to resist such a spell. Then hes useless after.

Then comes the tainted....yeah you can sap will....but I think hes one of the most useless wraiths. Youre much better off with the Witch King.

Finally the shade....hes a HUGE points sink for you. In order to use him well you need a lot of troops and such or high fight value troops to make him worth the points. If youre going to go up against elves and dwarves you better damn sure have a lot of attacks coming in and you dont.

In general also, with the [spectres], my force has high courage besides the men of lake town but if you wanna waste time with them, I say feel free. I wouldnt be too worried about it.

And uh....the blackshield shaman Ive used twice and hes done nothing for me. He either misses or if hes trying to hurt great heroes gets resisted.

I agree with most of your analysis here. The Shade is a point sink if you dont have it backed up by numbers, and the Witch King is probably a better pick. However I dont think he has to give up the shade, especially if he actually created the numbers in his list. Maybe give up the two dwellers with the Gundabad Shaman and the Tainted, then pick the Witch King on a Fell Beast with Morgul blade and then fill the remaining points with Orcs. You'll still have hitting power and a better spell caster, but get about two warbands more of Orcs which makes the shade better

The specters are usually nasty against all non-Elf lists. Even the dwarves can hate them since they target courage (which will be -1 because of the wraith) when they attack rather than their defense (even despite the fact that fell light wont work on them). Other than that, I would say to keep the specters since they really hurt other lists beyond these two.

Barrow Wights should not be targeting anything with Will. If they have Will, then you should sap it first. I disagree that he is useless since all your targets should not be able to resist if played correctly.

Also I do agree with Claymore that the Orc Shaman rather than Gundabad Shaman would be better!

Here is a modified list I created based on some advice we've seen here (more numbers, Fury, Wraith swap, etc):

Angmar
Witch King with 3/18/3 stats, morgul blade, and fell beast
6 Angmar Orcs with Spear
6 Angmar Orcs with Shield

Angmar
Shade
6 Angmar Orcs with Spear
6 Angmar Orcs with Shield

Mordor
Orc Shaman
6 Orcs with Spear
6 Orcs with Shield

Angmar
Barrow Wight
12 Spectres

Total: 796pts
52 Troops (With fury to keep many in play after death)
4 Might
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

9 might plus Alfrid, 19 bow shots per round, better shield wall than you can muster, plenty of support even if you move some of them, Elite heroes, 52 models.

A fine list. A friend of mine in my local gaming group is thinking of toying with something similar. But do you really think all those 19 bowmen will get to shoot every turn? There's terrain, some LOS blocking, others that will provide in the way, which would greatly diminish your shooting effectiveness.

That's the risk I take using such units. Dwellers are extremely vulnerable to shooting, unlike trolls, which are a little more resilient, but also pricier. Just to go about and say that a unit is worthless to take because its going to get shot to death is nonsense, especially with how close deployment is in the game now. Either you must be playing under old deployment rules, or you forget that a Dweller will likely be in combat turn one or two, especially considering his 8" move; and then there's Spectres possibly pulling units forwards to feed him to help him regain any wounds lost. (I know my local gaming club plays deployment a bit modified (in where you don't need to roll to deploy in the front 12", only if you want to deploy back do you need to roll), but under most cases you are going to be starting only a few inches apart, not a whole 2-3 feet, unlike the old rules.) Additionally, the Dweller is Resistant to Magic, so if I were playing another army you couldn't just go and Transfix or Black Dart him and be done with it. And there's two of them, so you'd really have to focus them to bring both of them down before they reach your lines and start regenerating wounds. And, as said, in the way tests due to terrain, your movement, or LOS blocking terrain would really put a damper on your shooting.

Additionally, I would be stupid to put the Spectres up front before the brunt of my army is in combat, so you'd likely be making in the way tests to even try and hit them due to other units being in front of them, same going for the spearmen. Half the time you'd hit the wrong target, or nothing at all, which would greatly reduce the amount of them you are killing, or at least the amount of your priority targets you are killing. Plus they, and the shield Orcs that would be in front of them, are D 5, meaning in most cases, with most armies, you'd be wounding on 6's, 5's for elven bows and longbows or anything better like a crossbow. Only with artillery would you have any better chances of killing them.

EVen more so, despite the army's lack of might, I could always use a Heroic March or Heroic Move to get to your shooting units faster, and tie you up earlier.

That's where the Ringwraith comes in. He's there to throw some dummy spell like Transfix or Sap Will (which no self-respecting hero, wizard, or Ringwraith, wants to affected by) to reduce the enemy hero's Will value by either Sapping it or forcing them to throw all or most of it in chance of resisting the nasty spell, before the Barrow Wight swoops in and Paralyzes the now low, or 0, Will hero. He can also be aimed at monsters, who are less likely to have any Will to resist him, which is what I did in a game were there was an Ent and 2 Great Eagles. I decided not to focus his heroes, which were less of a threat at the time, and instead Paralyzed the Ent, which never stood up the entire game and eventually died due to being mobbed by Orcs.

That's exactly what I am saying in my first post. I am finding that all the Tainted is really doing is acting as a spellcaster, throwing around dummy spells like I said above, and that I am finding no great use in his special abilities. Otherwise, as I stated in my reply to the other two contributes, I don't really think I need a combat character, which is more than likely what the Witch King is. I am looking for a more useful Ringwraith, I am just having trouble figuring out which to use.

Have you tried the Shade out? His -1 to my enemies fight rolls is amazing. It wins you more fights then not, especially if you can get in even just 2 Orcs. It guarantees that unless you are facing a hero, if you roll a 6 you win, regardless of how high the fight of the enemy is or if they rolled a 6 too, as it would drop to a 5 under the Shade's influence. And its not like I have 24 orcs. It might not be a lot considering the points value of the army, but when those 24 orcs are moving around as a unified block, it gets a little hairy if my opponent is spread out, or has a low model count to begin with. And even then, sure you do need a lot of guys to make the most of him, but even just 2 guys on one enemy works wonders.

In general also, with the shades, my force has high courage besides the men of lake town but if you wanna waste time with them, I say feel free. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

So you are fine with me dragging the men of Lake Town towards my lines and letting me rip them apart for free? Cool! Your fine with me feeding them to my Dwellers so they regain the wounds they lost from you shooting them? Awesome! Your fine with me just removing them as spear support and leaving your Elves and Dwarves unsupported, only to roll one attack versus my two, which is at a -1 due to the Shade? Amazing! Your fine with me pulling a guy off, only to have him lose the fight versus a Dweller and get thrown into your battle line? I'm ecstatic! The fact that you wouldn't care about those 12 models, that I could rather easily kill, would be crutch for you. The army likes to target my opponents weaknesses, and if you are just going to give me 12 models, 12 guys closer to breaking you, then fine by me. I'll take them and gobble them up, use them as a meat-shield to prevent them form shooting me for a turn or two, and make it so that I'll break you even faster, whereas had you cared about them and protected them you could use your higher courage, higher defense models to counter my Spectres and make it so targeting the lower courage, lower defense men is actually a bad idea.

It goes right back to the discussion about the Barrow Wight. You use the other casters to make the hero you wish to target resist some nasty dummy spell like Transfix or Paralyze, and all of a sudden he will likely have no Will left to resist Shatter. And if that doesn't work for you, a well timed Tremor down an enemy Phalanx could really ruin someone's day. And if you argue you'll just shoot him to death...well you wont. He'd be behind an Orc shield wall, protected by several in the way rolls, if you could even see him.

Those are just some noted to think about. Im not saying you can win, especially if you play like Gondor or some other evil force or something of the sort. But if you play the wrong force things will go wrong VERY quickly with an army like yours.

Thats the same with any army in the game. A horde list goes up against some elite force? Sure the elite force might rip through a few guys but eventually they'll get overrun. Monster mash goes up against Ringwraith spam? Those monsters will get Black Darted and Transfixed into uselessness. Horde list goes against the Necromancer? Have fun seeing half your easily killable guys dead by turn 3 or 4, faster if you are bunched up. Its just the name of the game. But that's not to say some army won't ever beat its counter. Hobbit is like chess, one move will always counter another. Its a game of strategy, and if you can play well enough with a force you will always find ways to exploit an opponents weakness, turn your own weaknesses into strengths, and inevitably blaze your trail to victory, regardless of what you might face.

I ma not trying to be mean. I am not trying to discard your opinion. Its a valid one, like anyone else's. Dwarves and Elves are not the best sort of army for this to come up against, and they provide a challenge for it. But that's what one needs to learn to play around. You saying the list sucks because it won't fair well against these two is no concern of mine, they are only some of many, not many of few. If they were the latter, I'd consider it more, but the fact is Elves and Dwarves only make up a small majority of a vast number of armies.

legion wrote:
I agree with most of your analysis here. The Shade is a point sink if you dont have it backed up by numbers, and the Witch King is probably a better pick. However I dont think he has to give up the shade, especially if he actually created the numbers in his list. Maybe give up the two dwellers with the Gundabad Shaman and the Tainted, then pick the Witch King on a Fell Beast with Morgul Crown and then fill the remaining points with Orcs. You'll still have hitting power and a better spell caster, but get about two warbands more of Orcs which makes the shade better

The specters are usually nasty against all non-Elf lists. Even the dwarves can hate them since they target courage (which will be -1 because of the wraith) when they attack rather than their defense (even despite the fact that fell light wont work on them). Other than that, I would say to keep the specters since they really hurt other lists beyond these two.

Barrow Wights should not be targeting anything with Will. If they have Will, then you should sap it first. I disagree that he is useless since all your targets should not be able to resist if played correctly.

Thank you for seeing how to correctly use the Barrow Wight (and, to an extent, the Gundabad Shaman). I might need to try your adjustments to the list at some point. However, if all I wanted was to swap the Ringwraith with another of the same cost (for financial reasons, that is; you should understand), which would you pick? Would it still be the Witch King or would you take another?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:27 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

chance the moria warband..
the gundabad shaman for a gundabaid captain is more efficient and delete a dweller and include 6 gundabad blackshields and 5 orcs of moria with shield and spear.
is a letal warband :shock:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Demonforge wrote:
legion wrote:
I would recommend at least two shamans if you want to reliably combat wizards OR swap out the Tainted for the Witch King for the extra Might and sap will on wizards before you cast Shatter. (then you will have two units that can break their staffs!) Also you can give the Witch King the Morgul Crown and turn him into a combat/Spell casting wraith

I don't really think I need any combat characters at this point, so the Witch King's only value would be his Staff breaking and his 3 might, which I haven't found my lack of might to be much of a problem. One possible named Ringwriath I was thinking of using was the Undying. The army so far seams to do better with disabling enemy heroes and monsters through magic, and subsequently mobbing or rending them, rather than ripping them apart with some dastardly combat hero. The army works best using the Ringwraith to Sap Will a hero, before disabling with the Barrow Wight's Paralyze of Shaman's Shatter, or snagging them with Transfix next turn. And I have faced other Wizards with this army, none with Staffs of Power, but other Ringwraiths at least, and have developed some good counters, one such being to mob them with their own guys using the Spectres' Fell Lights ability, and making so the Wizard can't move and/or see, and others involving bombarding them with spells in order to run them dry of will, and maybe even getting a spell or two off in the process. Additionally, I plan to see more heroes such as Tauriel, Thranduil, or Azog, as well as Ringwriaths, as opposed to Wizards, as that seams to be the meta of my shop right now. As a pure Wizardry Ringwraith, the Witch King could be valuable, but I don't need any combat characters, which is where much of his value lies. What I am looking for is a Ringwraith that would add something to my force in means of magic, some other way to screw with my opponent, or some sort of force multiplier.

The undying is another good hero but I just feel like the Witch King can do what the undying can do but has a bit more might and abilities. Granted this does come for an extra cost, though I wouldn't reject the idea of playing the Undying instead. Though I would still respect the advice about increasing your numbers in your list.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The undying would be the best option for you if you want to have lots of magic flying around but don't forget to cast with him first, as he will regain will from your other caster when they pull spells off.
If you go with this guy use him to lead some morranons or morodor uruks

That said if you really don't want your opponent resisting spells, use the dwimerlaik, it means potentially any models with lots of will are going to lose it fast on a 50/50 odd, also he has 16will

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@ LEGION-

Yeah, I totally agree. The Shade can be kept and just used once the dwellers are dropped with a shaman and a bunch more orcs. There will be plenty of attacks.

@ DEMON-

1-Of course not all of those bows will make a shot every turn. It would be absurd to think they. But having more Mirkwood Rangers never hurts and yes, Legolas' bow will have a chance to hit every turn if I want.

2-I never said Dwellers were worthless. Ive just seen them played before and they rarely get their points worth back or die easy unless they play like Gondor line soldiers and such.

Its a physical impossibility for them to get to combat in turn one. No matter what, Ill put all my troops minimum 10 inches from the middle of the board. Ill get one turn of shooting, with most of my bows towards the dwellers. You say to yourself, ok, youll put units in front of them. Thats fine. Ill just attempt to shoot through. And even if I dont, you waste your 8 inch movement.

And going on to that, you say they'll be in combat with me shortly because of that movement right. So....youre going to leave your army behind and leave those high point models alone? Id love to charge them, swarm them, and kill them. Youd have to balance the timing perfectly for you to move enough of my troops to charge only them, and also be within a certain distance of my lines.

Then you say that your shades will be behind the lines. Good. Further away to cast your magic. And everything in front of them in your army dies on 5's with any bows I ever use being Elven or X bows.

And here's the beauty of it all. You rush into combat with a heroic march or anything? Sure.....go ahead and rush into combat when you have Thranduil, Thorin, Legolas, probably with boosted might, and Mirkwood Rangers who are all fight 5 2 attack models which beats anything you have except the Dwellers which I will gladly swarm even with -1 courage and terror.

3-Your Barrow Wight Ringwraith plan can and will work against armies sure. But at 800 points expect the enemy to have at least 3 powerful units you have to worry about and unless you kill them off and their troops early, you will simply run out of will with that particular wraith. Some bad rolls might not let you cast or lucky enemy rolls and you will find them resisted. Just imagine if I had a wizard in my list. The whole goal would to be sap the will of your wraith the entire game till youre out.

4-On to the Shade....yeah theyre very good. Ive been demolished by one before. But knowing how to play against one is easier now. If you move around in one big block I would just skirmish the whole time. Id probably throw some dummy units like laketown guys on you and tie up your block a few turns while I position in better sections of the board. All while arrows rain down and I can attempt to separate your troops.

You have to realize.....I play to break the other team. I will target your orcs first and dwellers probably second or with heroes. All I need is a couple of rounds of shooting and mathematically Id be able to take out 6+ orcs with bad rolls and perhaps 10 with good rolls. At that point youre scrambling to regain the upper hand.

5-Lol heres where you start to get to ranting instead of discussing....you think Im just going to throw 12 men at you? Ive done this many times....you can feed anyone a warband and gain the upper hand while youre busy. I just mentioned orcs will be targeted first. What if I never even attack a dweller.......I just attack orcs until you force me to counter charge your dweller? You talk about spending the points worth of 12 spectres.....I think any serious tournament winner will tell you thats ridiculous.....lol. You realize I still have to fail the courage tests right? Im going to run from your force the entire game until I can run and re position no longer. You act like the game will start, and my troops will fly into yours and fly back into my lines where they will lay paralyzed till you claim glorious victory.

And in fact, thats where Im gonna stop reading.....at that point it seems evident to me, youre posting an army looking for IDK....compliments or some slight tweak? Because it just seems you discarded everything I said as a possible opponent from another viewpoint that can help you and made it sound stupid.

There are just plenty of suggestions in this post youve decided to avoid.

Fact is....you need more troops.....you have too many spectres......the witch king is loads better as a wraith......and perhaps two dwellers are too much in a force like this. Ive seen an army like yours crash and burn in a tournament before against good players.

If you want to reply feel free, but I will not as I already regret having responded in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@LordOftheBrownRing

Well...ummm...had you read on you would have noticed that I did not, in fact, discard your opinion. But anyways...

@legion

Yeah. I do respect the opinion of a larger model force, and I'll likely try it out. My primary concern was the Ringwraith though. I think I'll have to try out the Undying and the Witch King. Any others to try?

@Grungehog

I'll have to try the Dwimmerlaik, but as I noted my initial post I fear I may not be able to use him to his full potential.

As for leading Uruks or Morranon Orcs...I don't know on that one. Many others are saying to go more models, but that would be a step in the opposite direction. It would be interesting, of course, but I don't know if it would work, because, as said, everyone else is saying to go with more and more regular Orcs.

@thranduilelery

Interesting idea, I might have to try it. I just fear it doesn't fit the theme of the army. Still an interesting idea, and I'll definitely try it out some time.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Demonforge wrote:
@legion

Yeah. I do respect the opinion of a larger model force, and I'll likely try it out. My primary concern was the Ringwraith though. I think I'll have to try out the Undying and the Witch King. Any others to try?

For other ringwraiths, you could try the Shadowlord if you are worried about shooting against your army, and you could try the Dark Marshal if you want some banner bonuses to pump up your men. And if you want Anti-Wizard then its the Witch King. Ultimately every ringwraith has it's advantages and disadvantages. We (Lord of the Brown Ring, Claymore, and I) just felt that at such a high point value, wizards will be an issue. Which is why we recommended the Witch King.

@ LEGION-

Yeah, I totally agree. The Shade can be kept and just used once the dwellers are dropped with a shaman and a bunch more orcs. There will be plenty of attacks.

@ DEMON-
And in fact, thats where Im gonna stop reading.....at that point it seems evident to me, youre posting an army looking for IDK....compliments or some slight tweak? Because it just seems you discarded everything I said as a possible opponent from another viewpoint that can help you and made it sound stupid.

There are just plenty of suggestions in this post youve decided to avoid.

Fact is....you need more troops.....you have too many spectres......the witch king is loads better as a wraith......and perhaps two dwellers are too much in a force like this. Ive seen an army like yours crash and burn in a tournament before against good players.

If you want to reply feel free, but I will not as I already regret having responded in the first place.

I think Demonforge did respect your opinion, but he just worded himself in a way that sounded like a debate. To me, I think he just attempted to give plausible scenarios in his mind that he felt might counter your points and he wanted your thoughts on them. It just was worded a bit contentiously.

Regardless of the matter, we all on this site know that you are very experienced in the game and your advice is extremely welcome. Demonforge is new to the site and seems like a new player as well. Im sure in time he will learn to re-structure his arguments so that they dont sound quite as combative. I just dont want this post to get ugly and have his first post be his last.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm quite curious to how well your list will fare, I reckon you should try and test it in a friendly and give us some feedback on it, but remember you need to take advantage of every asset when using a list like yours, it could be lethal or it could be slaughtered. Btw I think the 2 dwellers are great in this list, they help with all that monster goodness but remember to always make them fight weaker opponents or get them to help a hero take down a bigger fish.
certain formulae are helpful
weak fighters need numbers, as in at least 4 full warbands at 800pts, because alot of armies have D6 troops in which case you will need to roll sixes.

looking forward to seeing more posts from you soon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@legion

I've been recently trying the Dark Marshal with my Easterlings and Mordor armies, and have been liking him, so maybe I'll use him here as well. Thank's for the suggestions.

And the only reason I wrote in such a combative manner was because I felt he didn't understand the army, or the tactics behind it, and decided to completely disregard that when giving his advice. The way I read it was he said X unit was bull, Y unit was bull, Z unit was bull, and that I should throw out the whole army and start from scratch cause it was all bull, all for the reason that he, who I supposed was an experienced player (where as I am new, or rather, returning), could beat it by using a certain army built primarily from the two races that counter this sort of list the best. I was rather appalled by such a statement, or at least my take of it, and sort of exploded...and well...when I explode, I write, a lot... I was being a bit contentious and I apologize to everyone here for that. I should not have gone off like that.

I get what he said, and its much the same to what you are all saying: More numbers, less monsters, add the Witch King or another Ringwraith... And I surely did not disregard any of those facts; I understand the list will likely need tweaking to make it competitive, possibly a lot. But I came here for opinions on how to adjust the list to make it competitive, not to have the army and its tactics completely disregarded, instead of being analyzed before opinions and such were presented. And as said, I did not think he understood that, whereas I thought an experienced player would have been able to look at the list and see the synergy between the units, as the more experienced players of my shop can, no offense to LordoftheBrownRing...

@ Grudgehog

That's what I am planning to do. So far I've played a total of two games with this list, and another person at my shop piloted the list as well. In my games I played against Mahud for the first game and Hobbits for the second, and in both cases won without loosing many models (not even broken in either of them). Sure I could attribute it to lucky rolling, which there was plenty of, but a lot of it I could say was due to units like the Shade, Ringwraith, and Spectres really just messing with my opponent. In both matches there were plenty of times my opponent would have won a fight if it weren't for the Shade dropping their roll by one, or using a Spectre to target a banner and move him away from the force (which was often all the more successful because of the Ringwraith's presence). Hell, in the game I played against Hobbits the guy made a comment at the end, stating that he thought I made no mistakes in that match other than charging the Great Eagle from behind and the front, and then being counter-charged, which still worked out in my favor as it trapped the Great Eagle due to the order of the fights. Granted, in both cases they were rather low courage armies, but I plan to test it versus Elves and Dwarves shortly here.

And the one game in which another player piloted the list...well he lost by 1 VP to Thranduil's Hall due to the scenario, even after killing Thranduil, Legolas, and Elrond throughout the course of the game. And he had a Palace Guard D6 shield-wall to deal with, as well as plenty of Rangers and regular Mirkwood Elves...which he dealt with by disabling the characters with magic, sending a Dweller in, and messing up the ranks by tossing a guy through the shield wall. Suffice to say, its a lot easier to deal with D6 and higher when it's trapped and not making strikes back...

Also, you say you want to see more from me. Well I do to. There's a lack of content when it comes to Angmar, on YouTube and the forums, and I hope to be able to provide some. I plan to cover my tournament run, so long as I can find time to go, so you should be seeing that from me within the next month. I also said I'll be testing the list versus Dwarves and Elves, and will post the results here if you would like. I hope to get that done this weekend, possibly. Anyways, thanks for the advice.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It' s not only vs which list you play but who use it, and I' m sure you know this but I have to point it out. Mahud and hobbits are not really competitive lists, a list with Elrond (for me) is not a competitive list.
Shadowlord for me is the best ringwraith choice, I understand that you want to keep that kind of army so I' m going to try to halp you with this setup.
I like the dwellers and think that the only problem for them would be Laegolas, also the wizards but if they are going to use them against the dwellers you ara lucky.

Now the real problem (for me) is the possible lack of protection for the shade, in fact 2 heroic combat may make you lose your "gem". There are plently of way to kill him, sentinels moving him, wizards with compel and than a heroic action that you can not counter for due to the lack of might.
For me you should reduce the spectres and get some black shields or morannon orcs.

Ps: sorry for the english, is not my first lenguage :)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:13 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mahud and Hobbits are very competitive armies, you just need to know how to use them, same goes with full fell beast army, you will always lose with them unless you have some tactical finesse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

@Reyzhen

Yeah, as Grungehog said, Hobbit and Mahud are very competitive armies. And I was playing against a guy who knew how to play these armies, and had been playing the game since it first came out. He's crushed me quite a bit before; used an all spider army to murderous effect, so much he had me quartered turn three.

Anywayts, some of what you have said about the Heroic Combat or Moves is one of the reasons I am having trouble picking a Wraith. In those situations I'd want the Dwimmerlaik to run them dry of might before they could really do much damage, but then other Wraiths would be better in other situations. And as for potection of the Shade, so far I haven't had a problem, but you are right that a Heroic Combat or two would get them near enough to tie him in combat and possibly kill him, though he is a D8 model, making him very hard to kill, much like a Wraith, and is 3 wounds (if I remember correctly). Otherwise, I am very much still in the testing phase and will have to try out all your ideas.

And as for your English, don't worry, its better than some people I've met...where it is their first language...

Also, I will be doing further testing this weekend, and I'll update you guys on that as soon as possible. I'll only be starting with minor changes, and be working towards the major changes as time goes on. Probably just gonna start with a change of Wraith, as well as see how the list fairs against Elves and Dwarves.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I find hobbit and mahud (riders or half trolls core army) really fragile at 800 points due to the possible presence of wizards or monsters, fell beasts are competitive for the opposite reason.
Anyway yeah try it out, for the nazgul choice...just try them with same army setup. The D8 is really high but still once he lose against a chavalry hero he will be down, one of the strategies to avoid direct attacks is to put models around the Shade, you should have some "numbers" to do that...but really could save your match. Of course, with a strong hero + Wizard, sentinel ecc (things that make your model move) you still risk but at least there would need the focus of half of the enemy force :)