All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 6:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1500pts MM, again
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ya, having 4 6c formations is stupid, i run out of room so i cant use the full 6c worth of each of them, id rather use the points to take more interesting stuff.
and the capt is a must, i have 3 main formations, and they all have to be able to keep up with each other (at the doubles), and i want to keep the drum, i havent got a whole lot of experience with it, and i know some ppl swear by them, so i want to know what all the fuss is about

gosh... elessar and spuds... over 1000 posts?!?! both of you do around 4.7 posts a day... lol

and 6c of wargs.... thats alot, is 6c really that useful? or is it too much, as id be luck to ever get 4c into combat, most likely its just 3c in combat with the other 3 supporting... so im thinking of dropping a C, unless you guys think its really worth it.

fates.... really indecisive about these, it will come down to what points i have, and im leaning toward getting the wargs, so a 25pt one.... id get either curse of morgoth or tokens of terror, but not sure which to settle on... and just thinking about it, im gonna go with curse of morgoth, as i can then change the priority rolls if i want

the main thing is if i should get the 6c wargs, or get 5c and upgrade one of my other companies (or get a single archer one just for the purpose of blocking ect)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:59 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

spuds4ever wrote:
General Elessar wrote:
I'd drop the Captain and get another six companies of Goblins with shields. Then, with 75pts left, you could get the Tainted Palantir.

He just said he didn't want another formation of goblins...

:oops:

Nevermind, six companies of Wargs instead?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Shadowswarm wrote:
and 6c of wargs.... thats alot, is 6c really that useful? or is it too much, as id be luck to ever get 4c into combat, most likely its just 3c in combat with the other 3 supporting... so im thinking of dropping a C, unless you guys think its really worth it.

Quote:

Well, he just said that six might be too many.... :rofl: :P
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

theavenger001 wrote:
Shadowswarm wrote:

Quote:

I'll shut up now (did I mention I need glasses?).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

lol
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
theavenger001 wrote:
Shadowswarm wrote:

Quote:

I'll shut up now (did I mention I need glasses?).

You already have them, lol. I think maybe you need the ones which are 8" thick :P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:55 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hhahahah, G elessar you brighten my day

anyway, im drifting toward the 5c wargs, as having a 1c archers can be surprisingly handy
Ive tried tokens of terro before and nobody fails their test cause they always have a hero handy

so i think ill use this list, unless i can get something more exotic, like a shade. ill let you guys know if i get something like that, but unlikely
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

you might need some drums to help large units because of the low corange, i would charge the unit of 6 with a troll and they would probably flee, leaving a huge gap in your force for me to go through and attack you units from the sides and flanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PSeEuu6pW4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

dude, durburz has courage 5, and would be in the drum unit, thus courage 6, and he has inspiring leader so the 6c gobs would be fine as well
and i've never had any of my gobs fail courage before, you just have to make sure that your heroes are in the right place
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:38 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

seeing that formations without a leader/might can use durburz's might, im gonna try to stuff a troll in here. so tell me what you think.

Durburz
Druzhag

Buhrdur

6c gobs- sh- capt
5c gobs- sh
2c gobs- bows
1c gobs- bows
5c wargs

dragon - magic
7c blackshields - drum
cave troll

as you can see ive dropped a C off the wargs, bows, and some of the gobs with shields. what do u guys think?
im worried that the 5c gobs will be the weak link in the army as they have to hold a flank.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

IDK if models without might can actually use his. I think I was mistaken. Having the cave troll isn't worth it IMHO. You already have Burdhur and a dragon that's more than enough monster-wise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:31 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

well in the new faq is says that models can do this.. so i want to try it. im gonna do some friendly games today so ill try it out and see what works/doesnt work

more than enough? some time i want to play a game that does have the rare limits ect and take mass troll and the like
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

well i just did my practice game and i think the word splat is a good describer of the game

my opponent took fallen realms and had 2 units of cavalry, a unit of haradrim, a F or watches of karma and a mumak.
shieldwalls and the high ground.

highlights of the game:
i move my dragon forward (and other stuff) then he moves his mumak to the dragon, the dragon flees to his cavalry and he gets destroyed :O this is why my club has the limit for EH2K models as the mumak is soooo overpowered (although he lost 3 crew and took 3 wounds from hitting a building :D)
i charged the mumak with the blackshields and 6c goblins.... the both loose about 2c and i only score 1 wound >:(
later on his cavalry charge my troll, i use durburz to have him call a duel on the capt and he kills the capt as well as a C (this is soooo good as they cant call a duel on you, so your protected from ES heros.. just dont call a duel on them)

we had to call it early as i had to leave, but the game was a learning experience. the mumak is OP, dalamyr is too good for his points, and im DEFIANTLY going to buy the cave drake now. Cause the drake isnt a hero when you charge a unit that has aragon and gandalf, you just call the duel on gandalf, aragon cant hurt you, and gandalf would be dead (and you only have to win by 1 to kill them, thus F6 isnt so bad, just avoid ES heros and you'll be fine). so trolls are now a must have for the army (they also are sooooo good at stalling the enemy, for just 75 pts i stopped his 6c cavalry (with an epic hero) for 2 turns (taking out 2c of guys in the process))

and we agreed that you could call the duel with the troll cause even though it say that only heros can take part in duels, it also says that only heros can do heroic movement ect... so ya

i think that ill stick to this list for the tourny in nov, but after that ill take a break from useing the dragon. he takes up soooo many points, and if they use spells such as pall of night then he's pretty much out of the game and thus your not using 1/3 of your army. and thats pretty big (as i saw when 1/3 of my army simply died.. 1hit KO). I want to have an over all strong force, rather than having 1 really strong part and the rest being mediocre (i could buff up my army massively if i dont take the dragon)

sorry if my writing is a bit weird/ hard to follow, im really tired
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sounds like a good match but dosen't sound like the other guy had 1500 points at all. Where's that new faq you were talking about?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

go to the GW site and look for it, someone posted the link on one-ring but i dont know where

and i did the math and i got 1610pts
this is what i remember of his list

haradrim 6c -capt, banner, taskmaster
6c haradrim raiders -capt, banner
watcher warband 3c -bows
mumak

heros: suladan
dalamyr
the betrayer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Shadowswarm wrote:
go to the GW site and look for it, someone posted the link on one-ring but i dont know where

and i did the math and i got 1610pts
this is what i remember of his list

haradrim 6c -capt, banner, taskmaster
watcher warband 3c -bows
mumak

heros: suladan
dalamyr
the betrayer

Actually, it's 1475 points I'm pretty sure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Shadowswarm wrote:
... but the game was a learning experience. the mumak is OP, dalamyr is too good for his points, and im DEFIANTLY going to buy the cave drake now. Cause the drake isnt a hero when you charge a unit that has aragon and gandalf, you just call the duel on gandalf, aragon cant hurt you, and gandalf would be dead (and you only have to win by 1 to kill them, thus F6 isnt so bad, just avoid ES heros and you'll be fine). so trolls are now a must have for the army (they also are sooooo good at stalling the enemy, for just 75 pts i stopped his 6c cavalry (with an epic hero) for 2 turns (taking out 2c of guys in the process))

and we agreed that you could call the duel with the troll cause even though it say that only heros can take part in duels, it also says that only heros can do heroic movement ect... so ya...

I don't think a Mumak is OP, especcially for 1500 odd points worth. They are just extra big versions of the randomness you get with all monsters. I've a batrep of me vs a 1000pt list with one, and essentially they kill a lot of guys then die - or go crazy and die. If the Mumak player has more than one and/or is smart and hangs his guys back while the Mumak breaks your army apart, then there might be more of an issue. I think the best way to handle them might be to keep throwing dice at them through spells, missiles etc while you kill off the Mumak's supports. What worries me is how easily you could have 2-3 in a decentish list though!

I think the Cave-Drake is pretty cool. However the Stone Giant is the pick of the bunch for MM.

It's going to be amusing now we have that FAQ on overlord, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:59 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ya, so the stone giant really becomes a true terrifying monster, he can charge into a 5c uruk formation, call a duel on saruman or a capt (and scary lurtz cant call a duel on him!), demolish 8ppl in the duel, then another 9ppl in combat. the uruks would respond and only get about 1 roll on the chart (with only a 50% chance of hurting him) (and you can do something similar with the cave drake)

and with the mumak, he did just let the mumak run around destroying stuff, the whole "fall back or be destroyed" when the mumak moves to you is broken. there is no way you can call that fair (it auto kills everything, so no one is safe from it)

and i did the math again and i got 1595 (the cavalry all had bows as well)

and here is a tactic that i though of using druzhag: if you go second, then you can have durzhag spawn some guys behind several enemies (in the middle between them), the use epic move to have him jump to the spawned guys and cast tremor. you will be safe as the enemy should be facing you, so druzhag doesnt have to worry about anything, and if they threaten him next turn, you can spawn some more guys and epic jump to them, or use epic couwardance to really throw your opponent off
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Shadowswarm wrote:
ya, so the stone giant really becomes a true terrifying monster, he can charge into a 5c uruk formation, call a duel on saruman or a capt (and scary lurtz cant call a duel on him!), demolish 8ppl in the duel, then another 9ppl in combat. the uruks would respond and only get about 1 roll on the chart (with only a 50% chance of hurting him) (and you can do something similar with the cave drake)

and with the mumak, he did just let the mumak run around destroying stuff, the whole "fall back or be destroyed" when the mumak moves to you is broken. there is no way you can call that fair (it auto kills everything, so no one is safe from it)

and i did the math again and i got 1595 (the cavalry all had bows as well)

and here is a tactic that i though of using druzhag: if you go second, then you can have durzhag spawn some guys behind several enemies (in the middle between them), the use epic move to have him jump to the spawned guys and cast tremor. you will be safe as the enemy should be facing you, so druzhag doesnt have to worry about anything, and if they threaten him next turn, you can spawn some more guys and epic jump to them, or use epic couwardance to really throw your opponent off

Uruks would only need 5+ to wound the giant so that means they would probably get about 2 or 3 hits on the giant counting that the giant was in contact with 2 companies. I think epic jumps have to be done at the very beggining of the move phase but I don't have the rule-book at hand so I may be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

for both it says that jump/ summon at the start of the F move, so you can do one before the other as there is no order between them
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next