All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 7:16 am

Post subject: Re: Desolation of Stockport army discussion:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:59 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

All painted, looking forward to being crushed :lol: Packing up everything now. I reckon my army should do alright in a few of the scenario's.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So Stockport is over and everyone was honest about which lists they took :) Its almost like we think tactical ability might come into play :P

So who thought their lists did well and what changes would they make?

I know my all rohan did better than even I had expected, the big question I had prior to the tourney was whether to include throwing spears or not. I chose to take 7 in the end and this cost me a rider. Crucially this meant I broke on 11 killed not 12.
I lost and drew a game each this weekend due to breaking but in several games the throwing spears made kills and almost always made their pts back with interest.
I think they are well worth the pts now as the game I lost was due to both last turn luck and a tactical mistake and the draw due to an assumption that I had all ready won the game (never take your eye off the board boys and girls :P)

Am pretty tempted to take all throwing spears next time :)

How about the rest of you?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:27 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My gondor force done very well in the fact that all barring one of the four games I lost were because of noob mistakes only.
Am very happy to tweak and re use.
600pts next time so I can bring boromir instead ;)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Pretty happy with my list as well, and the 50/50 success rate is down to a few tough opponents, poor generalling on my part and one or two unlucky draws in terms of scenario tailored opponents.

However, those were the new scenarios, so I think in general the list performs well.

Specifically, in the end I went with 11 Ferals, 7 Berserkers split over two warbands, one led by a defence 7 Captain, and the other with an armoured Shaman. Finally, 8 crossbowmen led by Vrasku.
My leader was the armoured Captain.

I felt that in most battles I didn't make the most of the crossbowmen, and they mostly ended up bashing people with the blunt end.

I was a bit disappointed with myself that I failed to get them fully painted. I started to rush a bit, and stopped myself, deciding that it'd be better to get them all to the standard I want at another time, rather than rush through them now and be unhappy with them.
Also, in the future I shall try them out with Sharkey and George, crime busters of the sea, probably dropping the Uruk Shaman.

I'm not tempted to go pure Ferals (even if i had them)- in the games where the D6 was relevant it proved decisive (screening my heroes), and with tight terrain it wasn't easy to bring the full force to bear anyway.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Mertaal you did see my army right?

I pretty much just got away with the bare minimum, the key when painting in a rush is to be careful to not ruin the model but to get the basics covered while letting you go back and smarten it up later.
In my defence the reason my army just got the basics done was because I was desperate to use Rohan, only started building the models 10 days before and spent every waking moment outside work on them.

Lots of love is going on them now I have a more relaxed pace to get them finished.

There's a balance to be found with crossbows I think, spend too long out of the combat and you suffer from not bringing numbers into the game. Go in to early and you may as well have taken shields.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I took Thrydan (who was a beast), 2 Dunland chieftains, 6 warg riders and 29 orcs and was really pleased to finish 13th with 4 wins.

Thinking of chucking Sharkey in for immobilise as any decent heroes were *impossible* for me to get near. Also Sharku as mounted heroes are so much more dangerous.