All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:17 pm

Post subject: SBG Galadhrim 500 points
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I plan on taking some guardians of the galadhrim court into a 500 point force. Their high fightvalue, defense(for elven its high) and pikes are useful but for a price. How many would you advise me to take?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

well for starters, the fight value isnt really useful as ur elves are better or just as good as most captains, and if you are fighting someone like a captian, then there is a fair chance that he could kill ur precious guard.... so let ur capt take the likes on them on and have spear and pike support, a sure win against captains (although any evil thing with f6 is really dangerous and should be dealt with care (as in shooting it to pieces and piling on ppl :-D))

so the reason i would take them is for the pike support, which is really good for elves as it allows you to bring more attacks against your foe (when you get to 3 attacks for a regular soldier you really see that f5 shine) and is sooooo good when used with heros

so after all that the simple answer to your question:
if you are going against an enemy that has only a few big hitters(like goblins), then take only a few (like 2-3), if you are going up against armies with more dangerous stuff (i dont know.... like if they had f5 captains and spiders ect...) then mabye 3-5

so never get too many as they are best used to give your army a bit more flexability

lol, such a long answer so such a simple question
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i beat mordor with galadhrim and took only 3 guard. as long as you cover their flanks with a hero or terrain even a small block of 9 models can be very effective. many more will cost too many points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:12 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Great comments. One of the big risks of playing Elves is that they offer some good Heroes as well as upgraded troops now, but the points (and often real money) needed to field them can be significant. And a smaller model count is almost always the biggest risk to an Elvish force already. As noted above they can be very effective in the right role, but the voices of experience seem to indicate that role is generally not to put them into your font line and so numbers of them aren't as critical.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com