All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 9:29 pm

Post subject: Rohan 700pt (SBG)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ive been trying to come up with a reasonably competitive Rohan list for a while now, just thought id put up the present list and see what people thought of it. The theme behind the list is the remnants of the defenders of the Westfold after their defeat at the battle of the Fords of Isen, with Grimbold assuming command of the infantry (his own and whats left of Theodred's following his death), and Erkenbrand having gathered what riders of the Westfold he could to him.

The list:

Erkenbrand w/ horse
Grimbold
1 Warrior of Rohan w/ banner
12 Riders of Rohan
12 Rohan Royal Guard w/ throwing spears
12 Rohan Outriders
12 Grimbold's Helmingas w/ shields + throwing spears

696 points, 51 models, 24 bows (12 heros w/bows), 5 might

How effective do you think this list could be, i would ideally have liked to add some mounted royal guards to spread around the fight 4 a bit more, but id really rather not pay £8 for a single mounted model, especially when the horse is plastic. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Rohan 700pt (SBG)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I would kick out the banner and add some normal rohan archers.

Erkenbrand is a solid choice as a leader. The overall list is nice.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks pretty good, you could use a little more might, imho, but it's not the end of the world. Overall I think it's pretty good, seeing as rohan is not that competitive.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

theavenger001 wrote:
Looks pretty good, you could use a little more might, imho, but it's not the end of the world. Overall I think it's pretty good, seeing as rohan is not that competitive.

That is apart from the Gamling banner and outrider combo. Looks good, perhaps a little too many elites? I might try and get some more normal guys and perhaps drop a few outriders for normal archers etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hi guys, thanks for the positive feedback

The only problem with dropping the outriders for regular bowmen is i've tried to work it so that my riders can all make use of their bows (as the outriders count as heroes), so this would actually reduce my bow count, and id have a less maneuverable archery base and less accurate to boot for switching the outriders for normal bow men.

i could drop a few elites, maybe drop the royal guard down to 8 to gain a few more warriors, though this would only gain me 2 extra helmingas or 3 warriors with shields

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

grimbog wrote:
The only problem with dropping the outriders for regular bowmen is i've tried to work it so that my riders can all make use of their bows (as the outriders count as heroes), so this would actually reduce my bow count, and id have a less maneuverable archery base and less accurate to boot for switching the outriders for normal bow men.

I like that idea. :) The list is good apart from the lack of models... I'm not sure there's any way around that though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The cheesiest (and probably the best) combo I can think of for Rohan is Gamling with banner + 33 outirders on foot--> have them shoot everyturn, and use the might to kill. Then Erkenbrand + horse and 12 mounted Royal guard... But that's no fun to play TBH. But it is an OK list, although I don't like the banner as mentioned before.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The Gamling plus banner list is a bit of a power gaming list, and id rather not sacrifice the feel of the army for the sake of wins, not to mention it is bending the rules slightly, your restoring might to heroes who never had it in the first place, and whilst fine by the rules as written doesn't sit too well with me.

The reason for including the banner is that with the lack of spear support the banner effectively gives me the second dice roll in combats, i usually dont take banner bearers because they are a point sink for one model, but with Rohan i feel its quite necessary just to give even one section of my line that little bit of help, im hoping to maximize the use of the royal guard and grimbold's F4, i was even tempted to take two banners to cover all the RRG but the points cost was unrealistic