All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:22 pm

Post subject: 500pt elven army SBG
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Heyy all,
well today i was thinking of of some elf lists i could make and i came up with the following

Thranduils Halls
Legolas of mirkwood - 90 pts

8 wood elf archers - 72 pts
8 wood elf spearmen, throwing daggers - 80 pts

Galadhrim
Elf Captain, armour, elf blade and shield - 75 pts

8 galadhrim spearmen, armour - 80 pts
7 galadhrim swords men, elf blade, armour - 63 pts

This totals to exactly 460 pts, with 32 models, and 5 might. For the last 40 points im not quite sure what to spend it on; wether it is worth it to get a banner, or more models. I dont really know the prefered model count for 500 pt games so i dont have much to go on here :roll:
Ive also been contemplating the idea of some galadhrim cavalry but i dont know if they are worth the points..

Any comments tips, what im doing right, what im doing wrong, would be great since im still new the gaming aspect of LOTR warhammer :-D

thanks.

Post subject: Re: 500pt elven army SBG
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

well your over the bow limit. only 33% of your force can have bows, and this affects allies. so you have a max of 33% in the thranduils halls group and a max of 33% in the galadhrim group.
so in thranduils hall you can only have 5 bows at most cause you only have 16 troops in that group.

sentinals are great in any force (unless its a low pts game) so id get 1-3 of them
banners are optional, its more of a matter of preference... so you should just experiment for a while and fine out how you like it.
galadhrim cavalry are REALLY expensive, so unless you really know what your doing they probably are worth taking

for elves at this point you may not want to take allies as elven heros and captains are expensive so it lowers your numbers, BUT that doesnt mean that you cant do it. if your new to the game then start simple and go for 1 hero with lots of elves, when you get more experience then you can start playing with more heros and less numbers as you should understand how to handle them better (im going to be vsing someone today whos playing elves, and he said that he gonna go for some of the bigger heros at 500pts)

over all I want to know how you plan to play with this force, from what i can see you are going to make a wall, and thats it....

ive been playing lotr for a while now so i know all about elves, but there are veteran elven players here that can give you better/ more in-depth advice
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:30 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think you have too many points spent on heroes.
Take either a Thranduil's halls list or a OR a Lothrorein (Galadrim) list to cut back on hero cost.

I think with wood elves you need to have at least 40 warriors.
This is so you can maximise your bow count. (also with Legions of Middle Earth each army list is considered separately for bow count. So only a third of your Thanduil's hall list can have bows and only a third of the galadrim can have bows).

For Thanduil's halls maybe an army similar to this:

1 Leogolas

16 Wood elves, elf bow
10 Wood elves, throwing daggers
22 Wood elves, spear

500 points, 48 warriors + 1 hero, 3 might, 19 elf bow shots, 10 throwing weapons

Not much of an elf player myself so some of the more experienced players will have better advice (particularly about new stuff like sentinels and cavalry)

There is discussion about 500 point wood elves here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19604

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for mentioning the rules on the bow limit with alliances, completly slipped my mind... as for the tactics i would use, yes i was planning on making a shield wall with the galadhrim (or part of it) while sticking to wooded areas and using WE spearmen to add support where needed and to hold off any flanking force. The archers and legolas would then flank the enemy, again sticking to the wooded areas to maximize speed and protection from couter attacks.

That list looks pretty good to antlion, id just have to buy some more wood elves then ill be good! i just allied in the galadhrim cause i like having veriety in my armies, which the woodelves sorely lack. Sentinels have been on my mind for a while now, just wondering if theyre worth their points..
Also, does anyone know if there are profiles for woodelf cavalry? or if its even allowed? i was thinking of converting some

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:02 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

sadly there are no wood elf cavalry

sentinels are absolutely worth their pts. ie: your vsing evil and they have a troll, you tried to shoot down the troll but that failed so now its about to be in combat. this is where sentinels are brilliant- you can use the sentinel to move the troll! thus eliminating the threat for awhile. and if you want to stop a high courage hero/ monster then you can move their orcs to block its path or have 3 of them surround it! again this stops a big threat. (one of the great things of moving a troll back- when the troll moves back there will be a whole in their battle line which you can now exploit, even if you cant exploit it the enemy probably wont leave it empty so he'll have orcs move to block the gap, BUT if he does this then next turn the troll is blocked off (if he moves first then you can move the troll back again, if you move first then you attack the orcs so they cant make way for the troll))

your list has some weak points:
your really relying on your archery, if you have to move about and attack/ capture objectives then you wont be shooting much
if the enemy uses terrain well then you wont be able to shoot them (or things like cavalry could flank you)
if they have the shadow lord then your in BIG trouble (unless he's on a horse or something so legolas can see him, then legolas can use the auto hit, but if he survives then he'll neutralize legolas)
your only defense against big combat heros/monsters is your archery and again if that fails then they'll mulch your elves

your list is VERY much geared toward defense, particularly against infantry and cavalry, so in an objective match you'll have to split your forces and run (both of which you dont want to do). if you just have to stand your ground and wait for them to come to you then you should massacre them if they cant avoid your archery. (unless your against dwarves, then your in trouble)

personally, i dont like lists like those. they arent much fun to play and tend to do well or fail completely
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hmm.. makes sense shadowswarm thanks for the advice. i like the sound of these sentinels, and they seem like a blast to paint so ill deffinatly pick some up :)

And since i shouldnt ally at this points level would one army be more versitile then the other? between Lothlorien and thranduils halls.

also the tactics i picked up (mostly for wood elves) from searching the site recently say the way to go is to have bows and lots of throwing daggers and keep peppering your opponant as they move to attack. are there any other tactics that work? sorry if these are noob questions, just trying to get a handle on playing elves.

im also in the process of making a new list based some of your advice.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Alright, heres a thranduils hall list

Legolas - 90 pts

2 wood elf sentinels - 50 pts
12 wood elf archers - 108 pts
15 wood elves w/spear - 120 pts
14 wood elves w/trowing dagger - 126 pts

494 points, 43 models + 1 hero, 14 shots and 14 thrown, 3 might

Is this list any better?? leaning heavily on bow fire again but that is the strength of the elves.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

well i like this list alot more. you can use those last 6pts to give legolas armor (does he get it in thranduils halls?) or more throwing weapons

as far as tactics go im not that great as i dont play elves but here are some of my ideas:
you have your wall advance while the archers pepper them from the side, once they come in range of your throwing weapons you run away while keeping them in throwing distance, next turn your can call a heroic move to keep running if need be (this works really well against anything that moves 5" or less as they can keep up with you)
if you need to be offensive then i guess you have break up your forces, just remember to use the throwing daggers! (i always forget)

if they come in from the flank (ie cavalry) then dont be afraid to bend part of the wall backwards - flanking hurts!

see if someone like spuds or any other elven player can help
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yea, adding more throwing daagers would be the only thing i could do cause legolas can only get armour as part of the fellowship

but anyways thanks for the tips! ill keep those tactics in mind next time i play, i might even open up a topic in the tactics section to see what other people have in mind..

all i need to do now is get some sentinels and a couple more WE and im good to go :)