All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:24 am

Post subject: 2000 point Elven List (WotR)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:21 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hay all,
Looking for some ideas to spend my last 150 points for a WotR army that i'm using in two weeks at a tournament. I'm fresh out of ideas.

Here is what i have so far.
I'd like to bring at least 7 formations to the tournament so bear that in mind.

Elrond (215)
Twins (70)
Gildor’s household 4 companies (320)
Elven Cohort 4 companies with full command (340)
Elven Archers 6 companies with Hornblower (375)
Great Eagle (140)
Great Eagle (140)
Gwarhir (200)
Blessing of Galadriel, Elrond (50)
As I was saying 150 points left, not to sure what to do with it, tinker away.
Thanks in advance.

Active member of...
Nunawading Wargames Association
 Post subject: Re: 2000 point Elven List (WotR)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

fortunes, the galadriel ones usefull and you can have 3 for a 2k army. forgoton fortifications can be usefull (and cheap) or just enlarge units or get a few special troops with ambush etc.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would suggest 4 woses warbands companies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd drop all the command on the Elf Cohort and then, using the spare 150pts as well, buy another four companies of them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:30 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

6 companies for archers!??!?! you will probably only be able to get 3 C to shoot, the rest supporting, so slit it into 2 formations of 3C, or even better, get wood elves with bows (2formations of 4C) then use the extra points on more ppl
also, drop all horn blowers, elves dont need courage, they need numbers
I dont think you should drop the whole command for the cohort, i would take the banner. it would be pretty bad if one of your most important units rolled a 1 to charge.....

if you take the advice you should have lots more pts (320pts i think), now you can get another whole unit. now you can go thematic and get more elves (galadrim with shields) or get allies (id go with some solid units like warriors of minas tirith or and epic hero) - let me know which you would prefer so i can narrow down options for you (although i strongly recommend 6c warriors of minas tirith with banner and then Eomer. ur still left with 45pts to play with and you have a super solid center piece to your army)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Shadowswarm wrote:
6 companies for archers!??!?! you will probably only be able to get 3 C to shoot, the rest supporting, so slit it into 2 formations of 3C, or even better, get wood elves with bows (2formations of 4C) then use the extra points on more ppl
also, drop all horn blowers, elves dont need courage, they need numbers
I dont think you should drop the whole command for the cohort, i would take the banner. it would be pretty bad if one of your most important units rolled a 1 to charge.....

if you take the advice you should have lots more pts (320pts i think), now you can get another whole unit. now you can go thematic and get more elves (galadrim with shields) or get allies (id go with some solid units like warriors of minas tirith or and epic hero) - let me know which you would prefer so i can narrow down options for you (although i strongly recommend 6c warriors of minas tirith with banner and then Eomer. ur still left with 45pts to play with and you have a super solid center piece to your army)

Hornblowers don't increase courage in WotR, they increase move. But I still agree that it is unnecessarry. I myself would drop Gildor's Household and get Galadriel and another Cohort or some Galadhrim with shields if you want theme. I agree with splitting the archers and dropping the command on the cohort. It could end up looking a bit like this(?):

Elrond-215 points
twins-70 points
Galadriel (magic)-175 points
4xhigh elf cohort-240 points (Elrond here)
4xhigh elf cohort, commander-290 points
4xGaladhrim warriors with shields-200 points (Galadriel here)
3xwood elf warriors with longbows-135 points (one twin here)
3xwood elf warriors with longbows-135 points (other twin here)
2 great eagles-280 points
Gwaihir-200 points
Galadriel's blessing, Galadriel (ironic)-50 points

Total:1990 points, 8 formations, 21 companies

Not bad IMO if I may say so myself but of course you may have a better idea. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@spuds4ever - thx for pointing that out, ive been playing sbg recently :P
also i really like that list... ALOT. all the infantry formations have heros, so the army is really fast, galadrial is really good, and with the extra might she can give elrond tons of might, and still of some of her own. the only weaknesses are the obvious ones... the thing that plague elves... lack of numbers. the list doesnt really have a really solid center piece so it'll be a bit tricky to play (use your magic well)
galadrial is the most important thing in the army, so dont let her get in a duel

i do like the eagles, these will give all your opponents such a hard time, just make sure you get the flank, or attack weak units. HOLY %^$& i just noticed that they are heros!! i have to say heroic flying monsters are the best :D being able to move at the double gives you sooooo many options. a safe way to play is to have them stay behind your army untill you get close. Since everything in your army has heros and high courage, everything will at the double and you'll be right up close in no time(perfect for taking objectives) then have the eagles flyover your units to their flank (or swoop the turn b4 so u can get in the rear). having them swoop behind is risky, but can pay of massively. if your behind then they have to turn around to attack you, but then their rear is vulnerable to your main units so they will be in alot of trouble, the thing to watch out for is nazgul... pall of night on your main unit(s) and they can now attack the eagles....

its still up to you on what you take and how you play, but keep in mind that playing elves is not going to be easy....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

High elf cohorts are pretty much the most solid thing you can get for an elven army (except Rivendell guard who are over-priced quite a bit). You'll have to rely on a lot of maneuverability for that army but that should be quite easy as you have a hero in every formation. There is no cavalry but you have eagles so shouldn't be an issue. Epic defence with Galadriel will come in very handy as D8 is a big boost from D6 and you can call it for free every turn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Archery is almost useless in Wotr magic causes much and much more damage.( some magic maybe not physically but you see the points :))

I would take no archers and replace them with high elf shield. I think that were high elf cohorts. Insteed of some weak shooting you have defence 7.

Gildor's household is not worth the points you should take more high elfs chohorts for that points and take thranduil if you want to be competive or arwen for the theme. I know that high elf chorts are expensive money wise if you buy them in metal but just convert your swordmen.

As fortune I think inner glory is much better this let your opponent fails a courage test automatic. Especially nice cause this gives you +5 dice or more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I agree that archery is iffy in this game, we actually houserule it to give Elves a boost there. However, spuds4ever has (I think) recommended a pretty good way to do it. Well aside from leaving the ES Twin in a bow unit that is!To be honest, I would leave Elrond out and put Thranduil in instead - but only if the OP actually has the fig ready.

Otherwise, it is a solid core of melee infantry and those woodelves are at about the threat level where they can hang out on flanks (maybe with one twin bouncing between to give some double moves), be invisible for enemy shooting, and actually start to rack up flank shots once the battlelines join. I think it is definitely workable. Gladriel + the ES twin with a couple of units of Cohort to play with can really mess with the enemy. The only change I would make is to lose a fortune and an eagle and try for more Galadrim with Shields. It is not a huge army at present, given this is 2000pts!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hero of gondor wrote:
Archery is almost useless in Wotr magic causes much and much more damage.( some magic maybe not physically but you see the points :))

I would take no archers and replace them with high elf shield. I think that were high elf cohorts. Insteed of some weak shooting you have defence 7.

Gildor's household is not worth the points you should take more high elfs chohorts for that points and take thranduil if you want to be competive or arwen for the theme. I know that high elf chorts are expensive money wise if you buy them in metal but just convert your swordmen.

As fortune I think inner glory is much better this let your opponent fails a courage test automatic. Especially nice cause this gives you +5 dice or more.

I think you are forgetting that cohorts are rare... That's why I include archers as I have to and they are waaaay better than glaives IMHO.
@Xelee, I agree with the Galadhrim idea. Elrond is also not much of a great hero as you said. He has quite good magic but his epic actions are terrible. You would be better off, as Xelee said, dropping him and getting Thranduil and Haldir as he brings a decent ammount of might to the table and has the invaluable epic shot. This will give you 6 might all of which can be used for epic shots :twisted:.