All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:22 pm

Post subject: Shire Army Questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:21 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I would love to make an army with a ton of hobbits. I do like the idea of Gandalf in the list, but I understand that combination is considered pretty lame. Is it just the Hobbits themselves that make it boring or annoying to play against, or is it that particular combination?

Is it possible to make a Shire-centric army that doesn't offend my opponent?
 Post subject: Re: Shire Army Questions
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

who says that gandalf is considered lame for a hobbit army?!?!?! He is a must take for hobbits cause they lack so much. not sure how its boring or annoying... sounds like your playing against rubbish players

just take him, not sure how they get offended... thats just bad sportsmanship
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

i have a little list i use :twisted: it works except in any take and hold type games.

aragorn (strong, killing machine, and you cant have any extras :( but hes still easily the best in the shire combat(killed boromir with him 3 weeks ago))
8 shirriffs (with fight 3 there good against gobbos and rohan/harad)
16 militia (a point less and lets face it, against people that have a higher fight you dont want shirrifs, u want numbers)
12 archers (must have more than 10!!!! its the only way to take out siege weapons by using volley and killing the crew, something ive done successfully many times)

any more i strongly advise some dunadain and, in 500+ im sorry but,YOU NEED GANDALF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

wow! Aragorn in a 350 points match :shock: even with hobbits surrounding him. I'd be kinda frightened. You almost never get heroes of the calibur at that points level so it would be hard to counter him. Ive never played against hobbits so i dont know, but still, aragorn...

how much success have you had with that list Hobbitsrule?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

so far 2 wins and 1 2cnd (3 way) and 1 loss. the great thing is hobbits are so cheap they can easily squeeze in a really good hero. his only compotition is boromir and on a really unlucky day muhur. the army with boromir is cavalry and i beat him because i outnumbered 3-4 to 1 and could still beat the 'boromir charge' because i got aragorn in there with a lode of militia passed the courage with aragorn called a heoroic fight killed boromir (who id taken 1 wound off firing and boromir of gondor has no fate, big flaw)with aragorn just scraping through the combat and double attacks hes trapped cus of the hobbits so double attacks and my hobbits killed the horse. i won by 1 point because it was number of enemy killed not points other wise it would have been a victory by 250+pts of his killed. great little combo on any hero (except sauron...)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I presume your opponents don't use ringwraiths then?

How would the hobbit army match up to:

Durburz
Shadowlord
11 Goblins + shield
12 Goblins + spear
11 Goblins + bow

watch the goblins out-shoot you and aragorn be transfixed for most of the game. You should try expanding the points a little, perhaps to 500pts. I do like seeing hobbit armies on the table though as they have a lot of character and can be very competitive.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

whats the point of that... not really related to the point at hand.... not to mention hobbit sherifs are F3.... and your list is made specificly to beat his, but would fail against alot of others.

so please dont go on a tangent saying "OH your list would easily lose to...." cause it wont be effective against everything, there is always a weakness
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

sounds good hobbitsrule. Like The Newbie said, its nice to see shire armies actually being played, cause you dont see them that often. I bet most of your opponants are surprised to see you lining up a troupe of hobbits on your side of the table :-D

but back to the actual topic..
army choises should never offend your opponant brandywine, and if it does then they take the game way too seriously. Its the way you play your army that can sometimes get the other player ticked off, like playing a grey company list with 100% bows and shooting, backing up, shooting, backing up....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

thanks. people at my club are used to my weird army by know (and you still get the shocked look acasionaly :-D ) but ill get plenty of that at this years school league where my hobbits are helping out the dwarfs.
i agree, armies shouldent affend people. i don't find it affensive but i do find it annoying when people ally in ringwraith because it happens to often (another reason why i collect hobbits)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Shadowswarm wrote:
and your list is made specificly to beat his, but would fail against alot of others.

Actually, it's just a good competitive goblin list, pretty solid against all-comers (tell me, what exactly would that list fail against? I can't see how 'lot of others' can be true). Ringwraiths at 350 points are becoming pretty standard too - they're far better than captains. That's not to say that Aragorn can't outplay wraiths though.

Again, 2007 and 2008 UKGTs were won by a hobbit army.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

BlackMist wrote:
Shadowswarm wrote:
and your list is made specificly to beat his, but would fail against alot of others.

Actually, it's just a good competitive goblin list, pretty solid against all-comers (tell me, what exactly would that list fail against? I can't see how 'lot of others' can be true). Ringwraiths at 350 points are becoming pretty standard too - they're far better than captains. That's not to say that Aragorn can't outplay wraiths though.

i was thinking of a list that had close to max numbers and eliteish soldiers. a ringwraith isnt the best if there isnt really any hero that needs transfixing.... his points would be better spent on more/ better troops or something to kill lots of troops.

i will admit that its pretty good. i was thinking of gondor (higher F, D6), but then found that they couldnt get close to max numbers... (i play goblins so im used to getting max numbers...)