All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:24 pm

Post subject: 500 point High Elves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:16 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hello again everyone,

Ever since i started playing lotr sbg 4 years ago ive wanted to start an elven force but never did. So now i am gonna start one. Ive been thinking about what kind of elves i should start and its been a tie between High elves and wood elves. My brother plays moria and is now gonna start a dwellers below and then start a dol guldur since he will have the beasts. So i was thinking id start wood elves then to play battles out from the Fall of the Necromancer book. So high elves won the debate and i came up with a 500 point force to start off with:

Glorfindel, Lord of the West (w/horse)- 150
10 High elves (w/Heavy armor and elven blades)- 100
11 High elves (w/Heavy armor, Shields and Spears)- 121
11 High elves (w/Heavy armor, elf bows and elven blades)- 132

503 points/33 models/ 3 might/ 11 shots

Glorf has been 1 of my favorite lotr characters so i picked him to lead the force and maybe for xmas i will get the twins also and try them out. What you guys think of the force??

Thanks
 Post subject: Re: 500 point High Elves
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:09 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like the high elf models, I just wish there was more variety.

For most purposes, the twins are a much better deal. You might even consider just using Arwen, that way your model count will be much higher. A well-timed Nature's Wrath is devastating. Just be sure to give her an elf cloak.

The models with bows don't need the blades, it's a waste of points since they can't use the blade 2H. Some people like to give them spears though, to provide support when the shooting opportunities are done.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:24 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

if you wanted a really good force, then dont take very many EB, ditch the spears on the shields, possible give spears to bowmen, use wood elf spearmen. although all that requires modeling and more things to buy, so if you just want a nice thematic and cheaper elven force then what you have is good.

the twins really are WAY better then glorfindel, give them heavy armor and/or horses then they really become worth while (id get horses myself)
Arwen/ stormcaller are also really good choices, you get NW and a much higher model count
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Twins are much more competitive as mentioned but not necessarily as fun. I've managed to hit 36 model count with my 400 point force using only Erestor for SL last year which was really helpful as I outnumbered a lot of enemy armies with D6 elves. I wouldn't take Glorfindel if you want to play competitively, for those points, you could get Erestor and a woodelf captain with armour and a bow. I would probably take that instead, drop the blades on the bowmen and swordsmen and get some shields for the ex-swordsmen instead and then get some cheap woodelf support and some extra woodelves with elf bows to hide behind your high elf ones. It could end up looking a bit like this.

Rivendell:

Erestor-75 points

14 high elves with shields-140 points
6 high elves with elf bows-66 points

Thranduil's halls:

Wood elf captain with bow-70 points

12 wood elves with wood elf spears-96 points
6 wood elves with elf bows-54 points

Total:501 points, 40 models, 13 shots, 3 might

500 points is a hard level for elves as you'll often want more than just a captain or arwen but you'll probably want less than glorfindel which elves don't really have.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You will find that a HE force will work much better with just a single captain at this point level and you don't really need elven blades on the bows as you are taking swordsman, you won't get that many opportunities to go 2-handed. BTW you can use EB's 2-handed when bow armed.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

hithero wrote:
BTW you can use EB's 2-handed when bow armed.

Ah, my bad.