All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:29 pm

Post subject: wotr, 1500pts, Mass goblins
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

today i was joking to my friends about getting an army made up of nothing but tons of gobins and now that i think about it, it would be pretty deadly as you could win simply by attrition (and ive always hoped to play a game where my dead pile is larger than what they had to begin with :P)

this is what ive come up with

durburz 70
druzhag 100
gothmog 110
dark marshal 125

9c goblins with bows 180
9c goblins - captain 185
9c goblins - captain 185
9c blackshields 180
9c blackshields 180
9c blackshields 180

1495pts, 16pts of might, 2ppl with inspiring leader, 2 overlords
5lvl of magic

nice ya? im quite pleased with this, im sure that it'd be pretty hard to beat as they all are so large (inspiration from the gorgoth horde (which is a bit imba imo))
its pretty obvious that this didnt need much thinking to come up with (or to play), but it seems rather interesting

im seriously considering dropping some C here and there to get a decent fate (cursed armor or tainted palantir, maybe tokens of terror)

tell me what you think. I dont want to make a super powerful list (aka a powergamer thats no fun and ruins that spirit of the game (aka khamul))
 Post subject: Re: wotr, 1500pts, Mass goblins
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:26 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Your main problem is the Field of Swords scenario - you're likely giving away a lot more victory points to your opponents than you would gain. Killing just 3 of those formations gets them 9 points, while usually players will have 4-6 companies, so you'd have to kill equivalent of about 6 formations to get the same score (in effect by killing their whole army and losing just half, it's likely to end in a draw, unless your General is still alive and theirs died). To that 9x D3 goblins are not hard to beat.

Problem 2: you can't deploy wider than 2 companies wide unless you leave some stuff in reinforcements (doing that means you might aswell not take it at all and invest into another Ringwraith). That's gonna cut down on your number of attacks, so you're playing suboptimally.

Problem 3: Go and set up 432 models on those trays :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Shadowswarm wrote:
today i was joking to my friends about getting an army made up of nothing but tons of gobins and now that i think about it, it would be pretty deadly as you could win simply by attrition (and ive always hoped to play a game where my dead pile is larger than what they had to begin with :P)

this is what ive come up with

durburz 70
druzhag 100
gothmog 110
dark marshal 125

9c goblins with bows 180
9c goblins - captain 185
9c goblins - captain 185
9c blackshields 180
9c blackshields 180
9c blackshields 180

1495pts, 16pts of might, 2ppl with inspiring leader, 2 overlords
5lvl of magic

nice ya? im quite pleased with this, im sure that it'd be pretty hard to beat as they all are so large (inspiration from the gorgoth horde (which is a bit imba imo))
its pretty obvious that this didnt need much thinking to come up with (or to play), but it seems rather interesting

im seriously considering dropping some C here and there to get a decent fate (cursed armor or tainted palantir, maybe tokens of terror)

tell me what you think. I dont want to make a super powerful list (aka a powergamer thats no fun and ruins that spirit of the game (aka khamul))

I've seen something similar in battle a fair few times. It does not especcially enjoy taking on heavy infantry and the standard Goblins tend to especcially not enjoy heroic fights. I can also see a Mumak being pretty 'funny', as always :)

Blackmist is right, they give away a lot of VP very easily when kills count towards the victory conditions.

Still they have their good points and are very mobile. If VPs for kills are not a factor, it can be more of a challenge to deal to them.

I think they are practically begging for a formation boosting Nazgul to go in them, and unless you are all agreeing to abide by the same restrictions, I don't think you want to tie your hands too much - out of a misplaced sense of virtue. I think the KOU could potentially be hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I never ment for it to be a really competitive list, obviously it has alot of big weaknesses, but it would be fun to play (have a "fun" match where both ppl take silly lists)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think a horde of goblins is always fun. At 1500pts the Ringwratih that would be really 'unfun' used with Goblins is Khamul. Otherwise, the Betrayer and KOU need to be in cc to get the benefit of their boosts and I'd hope your opponent has a few duelers at that points level? While the Betrayer is a bit boring, I think that models that can allow characteristics to wildly change add an enjoyable random element in a context where people aren't taking the outcome too seriously.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

the dark marshal is almost a must for his inspiring leader, otherwise i'd have half my army fail courage....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Shadowswarm wrote:
the dark marshal is almost a must for his inspiring leader, otherwise i'd have half my army fail courage....

Though Durburz already has ispiring so that will probably not be an issue. I would split the archers into 3x3 company formations other wise you won't benefit from all the shots as you'll have to have lots of supporting fire. Have you considered taking some wargs or spiders? They'll serve you well as back-up flank chargers giving you the edge and helping you win those fights. I would say drop one formation of gobbos and get 1 4 formation of wargs and 1 5 formation as I don't think you will actually get that many companies into direct combat even if playing shield walls on a 6' by 4' table. Just my 2 cents, of course.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

your missing the entire point of this. this idea is not to take anything but goblins (and a few heros). as for the archers, sure 3x3 is way better, but with 5f of 9c there would be no room, in fact there is hardly any room to move other than forward in shieldwalls.

the competitive army that im building up to is:
durburz
druzhag

6c gobs
6c gobs
5c wargs
5c wargs
4c spiders

6c blackshields
dragon - magic

thats what i can remember, id probably get a wraith or some other hero in there, and i would be more blackshields but there too much $ to buy