All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:17 am

Post subject: SBG, Moria 700pts
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey! Me and my friend found some time and decided to have a game. He plays elves (galadrim and wood elves) and sometimes allies in rohan

I want to try to get 1 or more of these in my list:
Buhrdur
shade
barrow wight(s)
shadow lord (foot, mounted or FB)
any of the new stuff (drake, blackshields ect)

oh, and I only have 4 prowlers with 2h (dont have green stuff to convert), no spider queen, and only 10 blackshields

Here are my template lists
Durburz
SL on horse
shade

4 prowlers w/ 2h
10 blackshields
3 goblin
25 goblins w/ bw
29 goblins w/ sp
6 goblins w/ sh
700pts, 25 shots, 5 might, 80 models (too much i know, but i dont know what to spend my points on)

things like buhrdur or a troll to lessen my numbers TOO much, so im not sure what to get

durburz
SL
shade
drum

10 blackshields
4 prowlers
3 goblins
22 goblins w/ bows
20 goblins w/ spears
6 goblins w/ shields

700pts, 5 might, 22 shots, 70 models

so far im leaning toward the 2nd list
the shade + blackshield + drum combo should slaughter the elves and the SL is there for obvious reasons

(and if you wish you can give ideas for a moria + druzhag and beasts army)

please critique
 Post subject: Re: SBG, Moria 700pts
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What do you thnk of a shaman? your army is not that brave and your are going to run. The only model in your army that is still alive when your army is broken with a good stand fast is the shadow lord and only one hero with a good standfast is not nice with courage 2 models.

I know what you are going to say I have durburz but there is a great change that durburz is already dead. Drums are useless in the game. And if you are using the gunbadad blackshield drum that is also not enough to keep your goblins from running so you really need a shaman.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don think a shaman is necessary as they usually dont survive very long. A good player will take your shaman out pretty quick. I like the second list and I would say put SL on a fell beast in that one and then adjust the numbers to fit. It would mean dropping 8 gobbo's somewhere. I would probably drop some of the bows, maybe 3 of them and then drop the 3 gobbos without anything and 3 more fro the spearmen.
Generally I might add a couple more gobbos with shields as they hep if you face anything strength 4 (aka Khazads).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

hero of gondor wrote:
What do you thnk of a shaman? your army is not that brave and your are going to run. The only model in your army that is still alive when your army is broken with a good stand fast is the shadow lord and only one hero with a good standfast is not nice with courage 2 models.

I know what you are going to say I have durburz but there is a great change that durburz is already dead. Drums are useless in the game. And if you are using the gunbadad blackshield drum that is also not enough to keep your goblins from running so you really need a shaman.

Durburz will be dead??? Im ive been playing this for a while, I know how to keep him alive...
and with the drum his courage will be 5, add 2 will pts to that and he should be fine

and I dont plan on being broken in the first place. their shooting wont be that great as the shadow lord fixes that for me (ill just have to play well so that there wont be many out of his range). and with the drum and shade it'll be easy to smash him in combat. Any troublesome stuff like powerful heroes will be sorted out by the SL....

I can see the your reasoning for the shaman, Ive used him in almost every game and really do like him. Its just that i already have alot of expensive stuff (drums, shade, SL..) that he over does it a bit.
I am still considering him, but i feel that I should be able to do well with out him still. also, there is a good chance that he'll be dead by the time im broken, he is D3 and my opponent will just volley him to death (last game he almost did this, so i had my whole right flank place defense too keep out of volley range)

@Noddwyr - good to see you understand :) in smaller games a shaman is more survivable, but not at this lvl. not sure about the fell beast idea, if you could make a list to show that would be nice, I have to go to bed so Ill check tomorrow morning

Oh, and i forgot to say, my friend is Haldir_strikes (viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19468) He's been up against my gobs before, and knows full well to volley at the shaman
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Durburz
SL on fellbeast
shade

4 prowlers w/ 2h
10 blackshields
22 goblins w/ bw
20 goblins w/ sp
12 goblins w/ sh
698pts, 22 shots, 5 might, 71 models
You dont lose much there and it is a good way to bring you to within the model limit. Shadowlord on fellbeast is much more mobile and a pain to deal with, plus it will be hard for your enemy to deal with him unless they have legolas or floi. You could replace the shade and a guy with buhrdur.
Or you could do smt like:

Durburz
Goblin Captain w/ bow
SL on horse
Buhrdur

4 prowlers w/ 2h
10 blackshields
21 goblins w/ bw
20 goblins w/ sp
11 goblins w/ sh
698pts, 21 shots, 10 might, 70 models

Completely different in terms of how you would play it but has a lot of might and multiple standfasts. And you should have no problems with any enemy heroes. You could drop the horse from SL and get a couple of extra gobbos if you want but I think the horse could offer some more tactical options and make it easier for you to get him where you want him.

Ideally I would have more prowlers ad I would give them shields but I get the core troops to your template lists since I am asumming that is what you have to work with at the moment. You could jsut use all the shield guys as prowlers which would mean you get 12 prowlers w/ shield and no gobbos with shield. The throwing weapons would offer more tactical options yet again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like the first list alot more. the shade is REALLY good so that will stay. I was hoping to have a drum as well, cause then in combat I'd get 3 dice to win, and they would get 2 at most with a -1... I guess itll have to be another game

Thats a good idea to use shield gobs as prowlers, its a friendly game so it will be fine. actually, the most efficient thing would be to take no shields at all, im against elves so its all str3

Im going to make a big order soon, and green stuff in on the list. how many Inches should it get? (how much it needed to convert 20 gobs to prowlers, i need an idea of how much to get)

im still tempted by this though
durburz
SL on FB
shade
drum

10 blackshields
4 prowlers w/ 2h
22 goblins w/ bows
16 goblins w/ spears
3 gobs
700pts, 60 models, 5 might, 22 bows

I might be too low on numbers, but if i can get into combat ok then it shouldnt matter too much
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hmmm it could work. Though if I was playing I would prefer to play with this:
Durburz
SL on fellbeast
shade

19 prowlers
8 blackshields
20 goblins w/ bw
20 goblins w/ sp
698pts, 71 models, 20 shots, 19 throwing weapons, 5 might

Simply because I think that numbers are important when playing with gobbo's and I think the drum is still pretty easy to take, especially with volley.

Though an alternative is:
Durburz
SL on horse
shade
SQ

22 prowlers
20 goblins w/ bw
20 goblins w/ sp
697pts, 20 shots, 57 might, 66 models

As for greenstuff if you get 6" that should be more than enough (but its good to have extra in case you screw up and want to redo smt)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

lol 57 might? :P
unfortunatly I cant field that many prowlers, I know that I should take lots but i cant (and i dont want to proxy lots of gobs w/ out shields for them, it will look silly. and this is just a friendly match so i dont want to be too much of a powergamer, I might take some with shields though)
im trying to convert some gobs (making archers into duel wielding gobs) for the blank prowlers, but cant do too many

I guess Ill accept that the drum is too much and take lots of gobs instead
Ill post my updated list later, i have to go to work now :P
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:16 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ok, my list:
durburz
Sl on FB
shade

10 blackshields
5 prowlers
4 prowlers w/ 2h
6 prowlers w/ shields
22 gobin archers
22 goblin spears
700pts, 5 might, 22 shots, 15 throwing weapons, 68 models

and i really want a warg, so ill ask him if we can make it 708pts for the warg (i havnt been able to use them in SBG yet)
Im pretty happy with the list, but im more happy with my conversions. I have several gobs that have duel swords, one with a sword and a friggn huge mace, one with a darth maul like double bladed sword..... I have several hundred goblins (625sih good ones, with another 50-60 broken ones :P) so I have lots of parts to do conversionsv:D

the weakness of my list is the lack of might and some really unlucky dice rolls could really hurt (if durburz fails courage for stand fast), but unlikely. My list does very well against elves in particular, I just hope he doesnt decide to surprise me with gondor or something.... or decide to check this site (but he doesnt do that much)

Last edited by Shadowswarm on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looks good to me.
And that is alot of gobbos.