All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:42 am

Post subject: 750point Dwarf Army SBG
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Me and my mates are starting a new army each and i have picked dwarfs. Ill be going up against Minas tirith( lots of caverly if i know my mate well) and ill also be facing Elves and Mordor.

I was thinking of getting Balins gaurd pack as it gives me some powerful troops and a powerfull leader, but it will be alot of points on the field.
I also had the idea of just putting a solid block of warriors on the field with some rangers in my flanks, supported by 1 or 2 ballistas. :twisted:

Any advice would be wellcomed cheers
 Post subject: Re: 750point Dwarf Army SBG
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Balin's Guard and a couple of boxes of warriors will be a good start. If you're looking at 750 points, I might look towards Dain. I wouldn't get a balista as they very rarely pay off.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:34 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Balin guard is very good.Dont forget to take warriors with shields and rangers instead of bowmen.How to face the cavalry? Vault warden teams.But if you can't take them then that is a disadvantage of the dwarves of course.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
How to face the cavalry? Vault warden teams.

Personally I think Vault Warden teams are a waste of points in almost every circumstance (the exception being when you're defending a door, narrow gap, etc). In a normal battle it's just too easy for the opponent to get around your lines and take down your low-defence spearman, which leaves your Iron Shield looking very vulnerable.

Balin's Guard, a box or two of Warriors, and a box of Rangers would be a good start. Gimli is also a very solid Dwarf hero who would work well with Balin for scenarios like To Kill a King when you need both a survivable King and a hero-hunter to go take down the enemy's King. You could also consider allying in some spears to support your shieldwall, but it's not strictly necessary.

"With hope in our hearts, and wings on our heels" - Chariots of Fire
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't play dwarves myself, but I think the Iron Guard is pretty good too since they have 2attacks (but lower defense I think then khazad guard).

Blood Angels - 850+
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gildor Inglorion wrote:
Quote:
How to face the cavalry? Vault warden teams.

Personally I think Vault Warden teams are a waste of points in almost every circumstance (the exception being when you're defending a door, narrow gap, etc). In a normal battle it's just too easy for the opponent to get around your lines and take down your low-defence spearman, which leaves your Iron Shield looking very vulnerable.

Balin's Guard, a box or two of Warriors, and a box of Rangers would be a good start. Gimli is also a very solid Dwarf hero who would work well with Balin for scenarios like To Kill a King when you need both a survivable King and a hero-hunter to go take down the enemy's King. You could also consider allying in some spears to support your shieldwall, but it's not strictly necessary.

Totally agree. Wault varden teams can however be used effectivly, but not as defencive units. Use them on the offense along with your hero, a banner and some other elites. Just make sure that the rest of your army keep up.
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I've used both Dwarves and Gondor a lot, so here's my advice for playing your Gondor opponent. I hope you find it useful. :)

First of all, using two-handed weapons is a really good idea against Warriors of Minas Tirith. For a start, it's a point cheaper than a shield, and a shield won't help at all in combat. The +1 to wound doubles your chances of wounding, where as your higher Fight means that the odds of winning the fight aren't too much against you.

For my archers in a Dwarf force, I would normally use a mix of Rangers and Warriors. In your case though, you might as well take the Rangers, and the higher Strength bows on the Warriors will most often not have an effect.

Khazad Guard and Iron Guard are both good, and will really help you break through a Gondorian shieldwall. In fact, if you're not going to use Dwarf Warriors with two-handed weapons these guys are almost essential. And even if you do take the two-handed weapons, they're still nice to have. I personally would take Iron Guard over Khazad Guards, but mostly it just comes down to preference (or you could even take both).

Now for Heroes; Balin is good, and probably underpriced. Taking Durin's Axe for him isn't a bad option, but for that amount of points I'd rather have Gimli. Dain is good at cutting through troops, but not great against other powerful Heroes due to his relatively low Fight (and I'm expecting your opponents, being a beginner and taking Gondor, will have either Aragorn or Boromir). Durin is another good Hero, indeed he's among the most powerful fighters in the game, but he pays for that power with his points cost. Instead of him you could potentially take both Gimli and Balin. On the other hand, Durin, like most uber-Heroes, is pretty fun to play.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:33 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you all for the advice. Ithink i now know what i want.

Balin and Khazard gaurd, with a pack of rangers and warriors and a banner and captain with gimli to finish it off.
Also i think i will grab about 6 Iron gaurd

Cheers
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Pomyboy wrote:
Thank you all for the advice. Ithink i now know what i want.

Balin and Khazard gaurd, with a pack of rangers and warriors and a banner and captain with gimli to finish it off.
Also i think i will grab about 6 Iron gaurd

Cheers

Many older players (older in years they've been collecting and playing, rather than years they've been alive) will likely have more than a couple Gimlis around that you might be able to buy cheaper than if you were to get him from GW. Heck, I'd send you one for free if I didn't think shipping it would cost like $15...

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

May i suggest you also buy Durin and Mardin if you have the spare money, no real reason except they are a great team and can form the core of any army with little support from anything but troops. That way you can, if you want, use vault warden teams. Also try to buy the captain with the shield, that way you can use him as a shieldbearer aswell as a captain, more flexibility that way :)
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
Totally agree. Wault varden teams can however be used effectivly, but not as defencive units. Use them on the offense along with your hero, a banner and some other elites. Just make sure that the rest of your army keep up.

That's what i mean 8)