All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:27 pm

Post subject: minas tirith and dol amroth?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

so finally getting into war of the ring...
i guess the question would be, i want an army that portrays the army that defended minas tirith in the books...
basically, if i currently have citadel guard, gandalf, pippin, prince Imrahil, and two battlecrys (since im defending minas tirth); what would be the most effective army that incorporates these as well as perhaps blackroot vale archers, knights of dol amroth on horseback, men at arms, and keeping it all at 1500 points and trying not to have my entire army be metal (and not converting plastic warriors of minas tirith)

i more or less what a very elite gondor force

Post subject: Re: minas tirith and dol amroth?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:01 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Warriors of Minas Tirith are a real value in points and money so that should be the core of your army. Its safe to say half your companies should be them and they should be your first line of defense spread across the field. If you get Men at Arms it will be a very expensive go at 2000 points.

Minas Tirith archers are ok. I usually proxy them for Citadel Guards with Longbows or Osgiliath Veterans. Put 2c for each gap in your front to fire thru. If there is no gap, don't bother with them, they need to fire every round to be effective. These archers are merely ok and idle archers are useless.

Knights of Dol Amroth/Minas Tirith are relatively cheap to buy but the Minas Tirith Knights are the better points value. A mix of them should be good. Dol Amroth Knights will be targeted early so be careful not to let them get fired on by Siege/Spells. You can ride them through your gaps if you see open field or Gandalf can travel around the rear casting spells without worry of being duelled.

Rangers are cheap to buy and you can use them in some pretty cool Legendary Formations. 6 companies should be enough.

You should be able to make an army based on that. Having extra soldiers is a good thing because lists change constantly, well, mine at least.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

How about Forlong the Fat and his Axemen? Or just Forlong acting as a WoMT captain or horn blower. And don't forget Beregond. After all you're going by the book.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dol amroth is my favourite army having a good portion as fine archers many good heroes and elite cavalry...
Minas tirith have high armor and also some of the best good heroes...