Sauron the Necromancer
Undying
Ringwraith 0/9/0
Durburz
Spider queen
3 giant spiders
20 wild wags
39 goblins

Decided i would (finally) try to work out how to use the necromancer so i can use him in a game, so i created this, i figured he would kinda accel here thanks to having two of his wraiths around to bug heroes with sap will etc, while he finishes the enemy off with chill soul.

Suggestions?

Last edited by SuicidalMarsbar on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: 1000pts Dol Guldor :0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

While your army would be brilliant against a Hero-heavy list, I think it won't fare so well against a more typical army. What have you got to take out standard troops? At 1000pts you can easily field 60+ Warriors of Minas Tirith, and there's no part of your force that could deal effectively with something like that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

60 WoMt and fully kitted out CoTwT Boromir is only 735 pts, enough to fit in more troops, and another big hero, it will take a matter of turns to kill the heroes, and only reduce each magic user by like 2-3 points of will, meaning the rest of the will points can literally be wasted compelling/black darting/chill souling warriors, meaning all the fighters can do their thang easier than ever.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Would not dropping a Wraith and chucking in a few extra Orc Warriors be an idea? Seems a bit too magic focused, plus to my mind the Necromancer is a bit of a points lump, with only one Wound, even with the Fate / Will swap he is still going to only last one good turn before someone puts an arrow into his head.

Just a suggestions but maybe drop the Necromancer for more Warriors, though as you have somewhat put a focus on him then i would say drop a Wraith instead.

'FireKnife'
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would drop the necromancer or a wraith but tbh i can't fit many more soldiers in, the model limit for 1000pts is 75, im already on 65. I suppose i could swap durburz for a captain and drop the horses on the regular wraiths, that would mean i could cram in another 8 gobbos/5 wargs. Would it be a good idea to make the undying the leader for the force rather than sauron? Undying can cast black dart with any amount of dice and regenerate 3 of them thanks to his fellow spellcasters, whereas sauron cannot do any regeneration :/
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:50 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

To be honest i would say taking a single Wound model as an army leader, even with all the Fate and other rules, is a bit too much. I always make sure that the model with the best rules, Wounds and Defence stays as my leader as that way i am less likely to get taken out quickly in 'death of a king' games.

Saying that i would push the limit on the Warriors and perhaps put the Wraiths on foot, not like they are going to be charging into combat much, more getting behind a shield wall of Orcs and casting spells. Plus you have the Wargs for sprinting across the board into combat.

'FireKnife'
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Khamul, in SBG, is not the cheeze he is in WotR. In fact he's one of the better tuned named-Nazgul in that system and is perfectly themed for leading a Dol Guldur force as would be any Nazgul. Consider using him and the Undying, for example, and get rid of the other Nazgul and the Necromancer.

With the points you can add a couple Giant Spiders and then upgrade a couple generic Goblins into Captains. The Giant Spiders, Wargs and SQ will really give you some mobility and keep your enemy on their toes. The Captains will allow you to call an Heroic Combat in situations where you outnumber your enemy 3:1 or 4:1 and then spring those forward to overwhelm another set of foes the same turn. A Goblin force is strong by its numbers and you need to press that advantage and a couple cheap Might pools in mixed in the army really helps. Likewise a Goblin Shaman could benefit you by keeping you alive a little longer and helping with Courage tests.

Be sure you have a lot of bows on those Goblins. Your force is overall weak to ranged fire and if you are not able to fire back you're going to be at a serious disadvantage.

Keep the Nazgul protected by a couple layers of Goblins (maybe even keep one Giant Spider around as a wing-man so to speak) and have them support the force and weaken enemy Heroes with their spells.

I do like the Necromancer in both SBG and WotR, but think GW made him just a little too fragile in each. So play him only if you have the extra points or are playing a more friendly game. He is good, but not "good enough" in many cases.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'll drop one wraith, the horses for all the wraiths, and get 3 giant spiders+extra will for the wraith with the points saved, ill edit the original post now :)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Swap the two exrtra will for a might and a fate.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well, if i keep the wraiths far at the back, they don't need the might, but the fate is a good call. Im looking forward to trying this army out!